Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #76  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

I'm out of town Friday and Saturday. Tonight (Monday) I've mapped out a 5 mile run and I'd like to do a 5K distance on Wednesday. When I get back on Sunday, I'd love to do my longest run ever at 7 miles.

I really need to have one day over the weekend be a long running day and I haven't really been doing that.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:29 PM   #77  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Go Matt! I'm sure you can do it.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:41 PM   #78  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

So, I just didn't have it today. I ran out of gas at 4 miles. I probably could have pushed myself to run the extra mile but I think I didn't have it. I looked at my training log and I've run 8.5 miles in the previous 4 days. I usually do less than 10 miles a week, so I think I just have put too many miles up too soon.

Tomorrow is a rest day and Wednesday I'd like to do 3 miles. I won't be running again until Sunday (going on a mini-vacation to NY) so I still have to do a longer-ish run on Sunday.

Last edited by matt_H; 11-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #79  
penguin

S/C/G: 172/169/128

Howdy all. I have not been on these boards in a couple of years at least. Just over a year ago I was trained up for a marathon. Fast forward to now and I have not run in a couple of months. I am restarting the running tomorrow morning and training for a 5k just as a starting place.

I loved running. I ran religiously for seven years, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why I stopped. At any rate, I am hoping that hanging around these parts will keep me on track.
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:45 AM   #80  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot View Post
I ran religiously for seven years, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why I stopped.
Hi flatfoot! Hmmm. Slightly worried by this. I've been running regularly and doing races and stuff for about 4 years now, and have just recently started to think of myself as 'a runner' - in other words that it's something i will always do a bit of.

But you're saying you chucked it in after 7 years! Was the marathon thing just too much?

I've done a few half marathon races, and a few longer runs, but never really been tempted by The Big One (other than as a Trail distance - which does appeal).

I know you said you don't know why you stopped, but i want you to think harder!!!!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #81  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

I would like to join in. I've never been a strong runner, but I was getting there until an injury in April. I am struggling to run at all, but again, I'm getting there.

I'm trying to do intervals of 60 seconds of running alternating with brisk walking. I plan on increasing the running intervals gradually, depending on how my ankle handles it.

My first goal is to be able to run/jog for a full 30 minutes. My second goal is to run/jog for an hour.

My all-time ultimate goal is to be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 13 minutes.
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #82  
penguin

S/C/G: 172/169/128

Had a great run this morning. It is cold and icy out, so, despite my preference for outdoor running no matter what the temperature, I thought it best to avoid twisted ankles of first day back. Did 2 miles at a nice clip with a nice healthy warm up and cool down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ange82much View Post
But you're saying you chucked it in after 7 years! Was the marathon thing just too much?

I know you said you don't know why you stopped, but i want you to think harder!!!!
It was definitely not the marathon training. I had done a couple in the past and although the training is long and difficult it was usually fun. I think it was that I stopped making running a priority. I had a race that I was signed up for (a 1/2 marathon) that I fell off schedule with and did not run. Instead of running regularly anyway, despite not training, I just sort of stopped. I have found that I need to train for a race otherwise I lose focus and motivation.

Now I am signed up for a new years 5k and thinking about planning out next years race calendar with great glee. The only definite is the Ragnar Great River Relay since I have a team that has done it the past 4 years. Probably sticking with 10k as my longest distance, unless I throw in a half toward the end of the year. I also have a couple of cross country ski races this winter which should be a blast.
flatfoot is offline   Reply With Quote