Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #31  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Ange82-- thank you!
i am actually a competitive runner, locally, at the 10K level-- Ive taken top female awards several times, and numerous age-division "medals" as well. The problem is that i enjoy marathoning more, although im not particularly great at running long AND fast. My only real running goal at this point is to FINALLY qualify for Boston ( i havent tried yet) Ive settles into the murky land of the 4 (ish) hour marathon-- Ugghh! Like i said though, i havent tried to get out of it yet.

At this point i am taking an EXTENDED BREAK from running. i am burnt out and i dont enjoy it anymore. # marathons in less than a year did me in, i guess. Also, i want to drop about 3% of my body fat ( i am NOT currently at my ideal racing weight, which could play a factor in the lack of enjoyment i get from runnning), and i am unable to drop body fat when i run or train hard. This took a long time for me to figure out. Whenever i go into fat loss mode i have to stop running, and doing metabolically challenging workouts, like intervals, supersets and full body strength routines, etc
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #32  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

MK, sorry, rereading my post, I can see where I made it sound like I might be getting ahead of myself with the training volume. No worries, though. I'm not planning to do some high volume ultra training program starting now. I'm just reading and asking questions and planning ahead for the coming year. I have other fitness pursuits that take up training time and focus, so it helps if I plan ahead for what I want to do and when I'd like to do it.

As for why I don't do a marathon first, it just doesn't appeal. I like running, but I'm not really into the group runs. Marathons are a popular distance, and anything local to me is going to be crowded. Obviously I won't be running solo at the 12 hour, either, but the whole point for me of setting a running goal for the coming year is not to become an ultra marathoner, with a full events calendar. For me, it's just to keep running on my "priority" list, because when I'm actually doing it, I remember why I love it, at least after the first mile, lol. Like many things we do just for ourselves, it's easy for me to push running to the back burner, because I have commitments to work, family, other fitness goals, friends, a home to keep up, etc. Setting a performance goal like the 50 miles is just one way to remind me to take the time for running, too. It's the training runs that are the real reward for me, not the event itself. Honestly, that's probably going to suck bigtime, but hey, it will be cool if I can pull it off.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM   #33  
natalie

S/C/G: 260/171.2/145

I've gotten so lazy with running lately. Reading this thread really truly makes me feel like a turd lol. Good job to all of you though..... Especially the ones looking at ultras. Those are insane! There was this ultra marathoner that did a fundraiser at my BF's siblings elementary school where he ran for 24 hours straight. It was crazy. There were like paramedics there on the ready in case he passed out and stuff. When he stopped, he did a news interview real quick and then couldn't get up after because the exhaustion hit him like a ton of bricks.

Anyway, over the summer two weeks before my 10k I THINK I got giardiasis, because I was sick as a damn dog for 2 weeks. I couldn't eat or really get up, and if I ate too much I would throw up, but anything I DID eat got dumped out the back door. It was soooo sucky, and it took me forever to recover. I also lost a lot of weight, and a LOT of endurance, and I never really tried to gain it back. Now 2 milers are basically all I can do before I want to slow down. I'm doing a 5K on Thanksgiving, which I know I can do just fine, but I still want to get back to my former glory. Dunno if I'd like to do all the super big long races, but I'd like to go out and run 5 miles for exercise on a regular basis.

Last edited by oodlesofnoodles; 11-05-2010 at 03:18 PM.
oodlesofnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #34  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Natalie, sorry to hear about you getting sick right before your run. Sounds like you're making a comeback, though. Good luck with upping your miles for your runs.

I ran last night, 3 miles, after a workout at the gym. Ran downtown with my sister. It was fun, but I was about choking on all the pollution/fumes from the cars. I think I'll stick to running out here in the sticks where there's a little less traffic.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #35  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Just done a 9km trail race this morning. (Not 12km as i thought lol).

Fun fun fun!! It's been raining a lot here recently and the race organisers had put a rope across the biggest of the stream crossings with the water up to around hip height (for a short-arse like me!). The rest of the trail was muddy but not too slippy surprisingly, and pretty hilly. It was a beautiful morning though, and such fun (did i mention that!)

I don't even know what my time was as i was racing to the finish line with another girl at the end and didn't even think to look at the clock! Will have to wait til the official results come out.

Bit of a shame that our washing machine is out of order at the moment seeing as i now have a set of wet/brown clothing to sort out......

Ahhh. I like running!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM   #36  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ange, did you have to wade through the hip-high water and then run the rest in squishy shoes?

I've got my 10K tomorrow morning, but it's not looking good. I went to an Athletic Yoga class for the first time on Friday (I've done a couple Vinyasa classes but never this "Athletic") one and it a) kicked my butt on Friday and b) is leaving me more and more sore every minute. This morning it was just my back, but tonight, every muscles in my core is tender. Plus, my hips are a little wonky -- they're clicking and getting all out of sorts when I step in and out of my clothes.

I'm sure it will be fine, as it wasn't going to be scorching speed or anything, but I am doubtful I will hit my goal time. Ah well, I'm sure there will be another soon!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #37  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Ange, did you have to wade through the hip-high water and then run the rest in squishy shoes?
Yep, that was it. If you've not done it before, it's actually surprising how little it affects you. It's nice and cool for a few seconds but you really don't notice after that. You can tell your feet are wet, but its not uncomfortable.

I reckon you'll be fine tomorrow, you'll just need more time to warm up than normal!
ange82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #38  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Ange, the race sounds like it was fun! Glad you enjoyed it. It's always fun if you have somebody to sprint it out with at the finish.

Seven, sounds like you're just tight somewhere. The run should help once you're warmed up. Sounds like the new yoga class was a good workout. Have fun tomorrow!

Today was our gym's strongman fundraiser event. Good turnout, and a fun day all around. I'm whupped, though. I'm on the gym cleaning crew, and slightly dreading having to put the gym back to rights tomorrow. I'll get my workout tomorrow, for sure.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:11 AM   #39  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

MK, I meant to ask, and forgot. Is there a set time/pace you have to meet to qualify for Boston, or what will you have to do to qualify? Sounds like an excellent goal.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 250+/176/149

re Compression shorts for chafing - you can wear run shorts over if you are more comfy with that but I wear Champion and love them. (You can get great deals at Hanes Outlets or if you search online.)

re Running with wet feet - you can do it for shorter periods of time, but if you are planning an ultra, bring extra dry socks. Trust me on this.

re Marathons vs Ultras - Cheryl - you may want to reconsider doing a marathon or so. They make great catered training long runs - seriously. If you're training for a 50 and can find two marathons back to back (Saturday and Sunday), that's even better. There are also a lot of great trail 50Ks out there that would be great training for a 50M.

Today is supposed to be long run day but it may be bumped to tomorrow.
hhichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:54 AM   #41  

Wonky hips and post-yoga soreness be darned! 51:49!

Next up -- sub-25 5K?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:39 PM   #42  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

So I had my last long run today before my half in a week - it was horrific! By far my worst long run ever! I even had to bail a mile early because I was so nauseous. I've NEVER not fininshed a training run not matter what's going on, but today I just couldn't finish. Fortunatly I know why. We headed to LA yesterday for the USC game and I completely OD'd on kettle corn. It's probably the best kettle corn on the planet and my full, sanity button malfunctioned. To top it off we didnt get home til 2 am and I only got about 5 hrs of sleep. Not smart, but I'm trying to give myself a break and know I'm going to eat 100% clean next week and will be feeling fantastic by race day. I have a nice taper week of a few 3 milers next week before the race and plans for lots of rest on Saturday. Today is a major shopping spree as I have no winter running clothes which I expect to leave me very motivated.

So lesson learned - no sugar overload before long run - like I really needed to learn that lesson.

ETA: way to go last seven!!!!

Last edited by ncuneo; 11-07-2010 at 01:41 PM.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #43  

Ncuneo, I had an awful run a couple months ago a day after a cereal binge. All that sugar and crappy carbs (special K), made my heart rate shoot up and I thought I was going to collapse -- even though I took it slowly. Definitely shows you the effects of diet on performance. Good to learn the lesson this week instead of next! You will do great next week!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 AM   #44  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Well, I got my workout today, as expected. Pretty much got to move every weight plate, sandbag, barbell, and piece of strongman equipment in the gym, along with the usual sanitizing/cleaning job, and breaking down and loading the big truck with the tent, tables, chairs, bleachers, and the rest of the show stuff. Heavy snatches tomorrow will either be a relief or a nightmare of soreness. Think I will put in a few miles afterward, to help loosen things up.

Seven, congrats on your run!

Chick, thanks for the advice on the compression shorts. I have some other Champion stuff that fits nice, so that might be a good brand for me to try in the compression shorts. LOL about the "catered long run". Never thought of it that way.

Ncuneo, those kinds of carbs have the same effect on me..bleh! Exciting that you're in the final week before your big run.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #45  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Ironically the best run I have ever had was about five minutes after a peanut butter binge.

What are some of the best fuel foods you guys have? Any specific memories of great runs where you remember what you ate before?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote