3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   How much more should I try to do? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/215943-how-much-more-should-i-try-do.html)

DixC Chix 10-27-2010 09:37 PM

How much more should I try to do?

I have searched the stickies and other threads and have read a bunch of stuff in the links but I still have questions. Any response to any or all of the questions would be greatly appreciated.

I currently go to water aerobics MWFS for one hour. I have been doing this for 6+ month. During the workout there is cardio and resistance with water dumbbells for the upper body.

After reading around a bit, I should think about adding more. I guess free weights are the way to go. I do have back issues so... should I sit on the bench for shoulder, chest, bicep and tricep work? Is there a down side to being in a sitting position? Is there anything I need to concentrate on or be aware of using this position?

Is it advisable to do all the exercises MWFS or can I just work on shoulders on Monday, chest on Tuesday, etc? I thought I could do this before I go to the pool. Is that an optimum order of events?

Also, there was a lot of talk about lunges and squats for the quad/gluts. I think I could add this in too but again should it be every day or split up?

I do want my efforts to pay off but I don't want to get injured (bad back) or worse - get overwhelmed and quit.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or answers!

Eliana 10-28-2010 10:43 AM

Hello! I think it's wonderful you're considering adding strength training to your routine.

1. Water aerobics: Do you find this workout challenging? If you do, then I think it's great. Not all water aerobics classes are created equal. I tried one that was just awful and not nearly enough. But they're supposed to be really good, and maybe yours is. One hour four times a week is awesome if this is a challenging workout.

2. Free weights: I'm not sure what to tell you about your back. You should probably check with a physician and/or a personal trainer. They will likely have experience with this. I do some of my work standing, some sitting, some laying down, but I have no back issues. I suggest listening to your body and see what feels best.

3. As for a schedule, your body needs a couple days of rest. I give mine a full seven. So on Tuesdays I tend to work lower body, Thursdays I work upper body and Saturdays I work whole body in a class. There are many ways to break it all down, as long as you are giving your muscles sufficient time to rest.

4. I think lunges and squats are awesome and I definitely think there needs to be a day or two in between doing them. I shred my legs (in an awesome way) by going up and down steps for 3:00, doing 20 squats, then 3:00 of wall sits, repeating this sequence for 3 sets. I also do squats with overhead presses, lunges with lat. raises, and squats with a military press. I like working my legs best.