Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 09:13 PM   #31  
Finally Fit!

Ugh, the weather here is exactly that... biting! I took my walk tonight, dog seemes to hold me back, smelling everything. She never acts up like that when we walk int he afternoon. It's like she's obsessed. I'm walking, then jogging. Triyng to make it a hwole block, jogginb. I'm also layering big time. I look like the abominable snowwoman. Oh well. I'm also carrying a flashlight, and triny gto look tough. But, tonihgt, I did great. I jogged, draged the dog, yelling at her all the way. I sit her, sweating.. still. It's good for me. hey, did you notice that your boobs get smaller when you exercise like we are? I'm loving the "big reduction" i'm getting. I hated my big 'jugs". Is that inappropriate to mention here? We're all women right?

Ambr: How are you exercisnig, with the early darkness? I hear we're supposed to have an indian summer or soemthing? I love your signature, Work like you don't need the money. How true.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:02 AM   #32  
Strive for Inner Peace

Default Elliptical Trainers

Hello All>
Your threads are fun to read. I hope you do not mind me hopping in for a bit. I am from Canada, way up North, home to the Edmonton Oilers and West Edmonton Mall. If that does not help, then think of place about 600 miles north of the Montana border. I am 44, , and would like to lose 60 lbs. I am going to try to do it mostly by exercising, and by cutting back on the amount of food I consume. I have typed that sentence I am sure about 1000 times... actions it seems, speak louder than words.

I do have a question though, and would like to know if anyone knows how the distance is measured on the elliptical machines. Does it refer to running distance like in miles?
Do the RPMs make a difference over time. Meaning if you are at 40 RPMS for 1/2 hour is the workout equivalent to say 80 RPMS at 15 minutes? Just wondering. It seems that I work less hard on my recumbent bike, but burn more calories, than working harder on the elliptical for the same time period. I feel it more on the elliptical, yet the cals burnt are not as much. I guess I could surf the internet to get these answers, but if anyone knows I would love to hear what you know about them.

Nice meeting you all!
Outback..... in the cold.
Old 11-24-2002, 03:31 PM   #33  

Height: 5'7

Hi everyone,

Outback hello and welcome! I don't know much about elliptical machines, but I'm sure someone around here can help ya out. I know what you're saying about feeling like you've started over a thousand times. but I just think it can never hurt to try. Plus I always learn something new each time.

Svelte- I wish I could say I know all about the big jugs but I'm a B cup for life. No matter how big or small I get the "ladies" stay the same. Clothes shopping can be a real pain sometimes.
I'm also laughing because my dog does the exact same thing, sniffs everything under her nose. Some days I want to get going and speed up and she's got a whole sniff agenda. It's hard to break a sweat when I'm stopping every 10 feet.
I threw out my back yesterday ironically dragging the tredmill down the hallway. It hurts to sit down but I seem to be ok standing, I may take a break today and take an easy walk. We'll see what happens.
Well gotta get going, talk to ya later!
Old 11-25-2002, 01:35 PM   #34  
Finally Fit!

Hey ladies, and a big welcome to outback... reminds me of the awesome blossom at the restaurant... ayour bad for temptatoin. I"m sure i"ll live. Stay a while, and post when you can. We love visitors. YOu don't have to say anything grand ot post either. Just mention that you're around, and how you're doing.

Outback: I have no answer to your question, because I once asked what the heck an ellyptical machine was, and never heard MY answer. Help me.

Ruby: Man, talk about irony. Trying to get that machine and you're out for the count. Funny too, sorry. I agree about doggie's having their own agenda. I feel like bad mommy, dragging her around, trying to get some wseat going. It is impossible. But i feel guilty if i go alone. she needs the movement. SHe sleeps all day long. Oh how she suffers. Oh to be a dog. Went to PetSmart, and purchase those chewable calming tablets. We're druggin her, unfortunately for her, great for us. Hoe she stays awake to alert us aoubt bathroom stuff, and doesn't just lay there like a lump, peeing all over herself. I'm laughing out loud at the thought. SHe's my baby. I love her so.

TOnight's aerobics, and i"m sad that i'll have several days between the next class. Wish we could have it every other day, instead of just mon and wed. I'd love every day too, then I could at least have the option of which days. Oh well. People in the world are dying, so I'd better smack myself for complaining huh? Well, I;'m sneaking around the office, to be here, so i'm off to check on hubby. See ya later!
Old 11-25-2002, 07:41 PM   #35  
Strive for Inner Peace

Default Elliptical Machines

Hello Ruby And Svelt: I did not find out my answer, but I did find some information relative to RPMS. I read that it is best to have low resistance with high RPMS. Meaning the more moving with less resistance the better for weight loss. If you are looking to bulk up then lower RPMS with higher resistance. Okay so what does that me.. don't ask me ..
Thanks.. will post more later. I am going off to gym to work out with my darling daughter (she is 13, drags me everywhere, it is sooooo embarassing to be seen with my daughter (tongue in cheek)!

Outback
Old 11-26-2002, 01:43 PM   #36  

Hey everyone

Svelte I admit it's very funny moving the treadmill left me down for the count. I'm better today tho so I can't complain anymore. Except of course that the darn thing won't start and keeps giving me an error message. Now I'll have to figure that one out. Bad timing too, we're supposed to get up to 3 inches of snow today. It's snowing right now and I'm thinking I'm going to have to be very careful when I walk. But it might be very pretty.
Your dog sounds adorable. I have walk guilt myself when I don't walk mine either. She's a hefty Lab who loves to eat and walk. One she can do by herself the other she needs someone to do w/ her. So she's my buddy.

Outback- I wish I knew about RPMS myself, seems like another language. I do know a bunch about PMS tho, does that help? Anyway, it's nice you belong to a gym I'm too uncoordinated to exercise in public. & It's always fun to have a workout buddy like your daughter too. What other types of exercise are you into? Do any walking/jogging?

Well catch ya'll later! Have great day
Old 11-26-2002, 02:48 PM   #37  
Finally Fit!

Birthday for me today. 28 years old. Miserable as ever. Read my journal entry for today, and you'll see why. BUt, I'm optimistics for the rest of the day. I need to take a long walk, so I can clear my head, prepare for the long drive tomorrow to see mom. Hope all is well... I may not be able to post in RI, since mom has trouble getting online. I'l try to get here. Happy Turkey day if I can't get here. Bye! Be good now!
Old 11-26-2002, 07:28 PM   #38  

First-
HAPPY BIRTHDAY SVELTE!!

Now that we got all those smilies out of the way...I read your journal I am so sorry you had such a crappy day It must be Murphys Law or something. I hope your Thanksgiving weekend goes much better and you enjoy yourself and your family. Take care and keep your head up!
Old 11-27-2002, 06:00 AM   #39  
Finally Fit!

HI girls. Well my birthday ended up on a strange note. Went to dinner with dad. Met his new girlfriend. Sweet, kinda the low self esteem "be whatever you want me to be " type. Oh well. Not my love life. Talked to the sister's boyfriend, they're up from Ohio. Had a nice mexican dinner.. I had the taco salad, and talked most of the time. Who Knew! So, I ate good food,a nd got some great gifts. CD Walkman, for my walks, a bike helmet, since I"m hoping to get a bike for christmas. A pretty soap basket from dad's new girlfriend. Think she's schmoozin!

Then, after dinner, we looked at my new scrapbook. Talked about old memories, and laughed together. After all this, we go to the car and dump off the presetns and books, and head around te courtyard for a nice walk. It was great. But when we got home, my scrapbook and all pictures were not in the car. We had left them at the restaurant. On a bench. So angry, I called my dad and aske dhim to get it for me. No. He doesn't feel like it. We're oigng outta town in 8 hours, and he doesn't wanna do me a favor,a nd save me precious memories for me?

So, after yelling at him, he agreed to go pick it up tonight (wed) for me. Problem: this means taht mom will not see the book, and it was meant for her to. I'm really disappointed. I've ben working on that book for 2 weeks straight, to have it ready in time for our trip out there. Sad Sad Sad. well, took the dog for a walk,a nd gettign ready to head on out. Have a safe and happy holiday!
Old 12-02-2002, 02:21 AM   #40  

Default How is everyone?

My holiday went pretty well. I even was able to walk everyday. Did a 4 mile walk the day after thanksgiving, so I hope that burned off some of that stuffing! I'm setting some new goals for December and getting that treadmill fixed.
How's it going Svelte? Outback you up to anything lately? Race I hope you haven't gone for good, stop in and say hi!
Well have to get going-
Take Care everyone
Old 12-03-2002, 01:18 PM   #41  
Finally Fit!

Hey girls. Went "home" for Thanksgiving. Took a walk every time I wanted to pull my hair out. Needless to say, looks like i dropped 5 more pounds! Funny how life is. I"m exhausted emotionally and physically. Visitng my family does that to me. We live a quiet little existence,a nd they're (mom, sister 4 yr old nephew) live a loud and chaotic life. Neither is bad, just different. Hard to cope with that schedule, and we're definitely not ready for children yet. I"ll catch up in my journal, but I'm alive and doing well.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:40 PM   #42  

Hey Svelte good to hear from ya. I'm sorry visiting home takes so much out of ya. I know what that's like with certain relatives sometimes I have to charge myself up before I jump in. Ahhhh the holidays You can't beat 5lbs lost even tho it wasn't the most pleasant way to walk it off. You're taking care of yourself well, good for you.

As for my walking it's getting a little harder everyday as this weather gets even colder. I walked thru a blizzard the other day, but it was actually kind of pretty, I think I lost a toe tho! Yesterday it was 18 degress at night so I bundled up until I was unrecognizable. My treadmill is getting fixed tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be able to supplement with that. Ok I complain so much but it's really not that terrible, once I warm up I'm fine. How about you any snow up there in Maryland yet?
Take care girl
Old 12-05-2002, 04:41 PM   #43  
Finally Fit!

We're in the middle of a snow storm here. Actually, it's tapering off now, which lef tme here snowed in for the day. I did three rounds of shoveling, sot hat's good for my body. Hope I don't wake up with a sore back. I always try to use my knees, but you know how that goes. I walked some today too. I got a CD walkman for my birthday, and I walked through the snow with doggie, singing christmas music. That was great. Thank God for music, or I"d be a mess! So far so good today. Hope you get that treadmill back... this wakling int he winter stuff is the pits! Maybe i{"ll get one someday, Until then, i'm one wiht nature.
Old 12-06-2002, 11:55 PM   #44  

Hey Svelte
That snow storm out east sounds so nasty! We've just had a few inches here and there nothing to close roads, schools or anything. I'm sure it's coming eventually.
I did get my treadmill finally fixed and did about 40 min on it yesterday. It's definitely not as enjoyable as walking around outdoors, but at least I didn't freeze. I got some of my music to keep me going too. Yesterday it was the Dixie Chicks, it's energetic and fun. I was back outside walking again today. I decided I'd only use the treadmill when the weather was completely disagreeable.
Ah well,with all the christmas shopping I have to do I should really think about doing some mall walking.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:05 PM   #45  
Finally Fit!

HI! I need a treadmill. There aren't enough neighbors shoveling their sidewalks, for me not to fall and hurt myself out there. Poor dog was pretending she was ice skating. Good rugged terrain though when you think about it. We're going to Williamsburg tomorrow, and we'll walk and walk and walk... so i'm skipping tonihgt. Hope I exercise more than I eat tomorrow. You now how it is when ytou go outta town, All you wanna do is shop, and eat. At least I do. Seems like it's just you and me chatting, Should we abandon ship?
Closed Thread