Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #1  
ish

S/C/G: 239/ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

Smile Work is a Workout

I was wondering if anyone on this forum might have stumbled upon any resources for determining how your job effects your daily activity level (I'm specifically hoping to get calorie estimates, if possible!).

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to paint an accurate picture of how many calories I'm burning a day/how many I should be eating so I can get an idea of the kinds of deficits I'm creating.

I know for sure that teaching Kindergarten since September has me far more exhausted at days end than working at a desk all day did. Which makes sense considering I only sit down for a 30 minute lunch, I am always walking around and crouching at little desks, bending over to speak on the childrens level, tying shoes, teaching gym, art, wildly demonstrating at the front of the class to try and keep their little attention spans, haha.

I guess I just don't know how to respond to:
Are you:
Sedentary
Light activity (1-3 times a week)
Moderately Active (5 days a week)
Very Active (Traning 7 days a week)

I mean, no, I am not working out yet, I am starting with diet, but I'm not exactly sedentary either!

Any thoughts? Anyone have a slightly active job like me?

Last edited by ish; 10-20-2010 at 07:11 PM.
ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Get a pedometer. That will help.

I work for a veterinarian, and log about 3 miles a day on an average day. 5 on a busy day.

What I can't figure out is all the lifting and dog and cat rasslin' What's that worth?

I know I can take 65 pound dog from the floor to the table, and keep it there, no sweat, but how do you account for it?
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:51 PM   #3  
Stubborn

S/C/G: 195/1175/145

Height: 5'5"

I would definitely go with moderately active 5 days a week. Lightly active to me would be a high school teacher- writing on the board and standing long hours.
Kindergarten would be much more physical. with the theatrics and tiny desks.
I think a very active job would be a fitness trainer or someone who's always carrying heavy objects like a bike messenger who's always working that cardio.
And sedentary would be my job- where I stair at a computer all day. It's fun but bad for the body.
Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote