Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:45 AM   #1  

Default I'm so excited about HOOPING!

Basically it's a hula hoop, but not the plastic kind from the store, these are weighted (2 lbs) which makes it easier to get the momentum going for a long period of time. IT'S FUN!! The hoop I bought comes apart in sections so you can travel with it or take it to the office in your bag.

I've only been doing it a week but I swear I can already see the difference in my abs & waist. My friend who sold me on the concept has lost 30 pounds in 3 months by hooping every day and following a very moderate diet. She just cut out sweets, fried food and alcohol. Did not even count calories, she went from a size 14 to a 10 in 3 months.

Anyway I do find it really fun and relaxing to do and am encouraged with the results so far. The brand name of the one I got is called "Hoopnotica" although I have not watched the accompanying video, was told it has a lot of rhythmic gymnastic moves and the like, my friend just put on the music a couple of times a day and got moving, that's pretty much what I've been doing.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: See signature.

Height: 5' 5"

This sounds great. Thanks for the info! I'm going to look into it.
AliceInFatland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 155/ 129 /120

Height: 5'7"

I LOVE hooping...bonus is if you do it the mirror you're likely to giggle!

right now I have a water-weighted one, but I want the weighted one that comes in sections....but I can't find them anywhere! did you buy it online?
hippy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

That sounds like fun! My four year old has been BEGGING for a hoop. They're easier to keep up if they're weighted? I wonder if that would help her.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #5  

Yes I CANNOT EVEN DO a regular hula hoop or at least, the last time I tried was epic fail -- but with just a little practice was keeping this going a half hour at a stretch. It's fun to do with an ipod or just watching TV.

It's much bigger and the weight (2 lbs.) helps the momentum and also adds resistance for a better workout. I bought it from my friend who is now a hoop nut AND a (LOL) "distributor" IS THERE A NEED FOR SUCH PEOPLE IN THE INTERNET AGE?? Anyhow I got the name of the product wrong sorry this is the one:

http://www.hoopnotica.com/

The take-apart one in blue and silver is the one I got it is shown in sections....it came in handy when I spent a couple of days at my moms, these things are not only heavier but BIGGER and much easier to transport if you have a compact car or stay in hotels a lot! It would look weird walking into the lobby with this giant hoop, LOL, but this one reduces down so you can take it in a carry on.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 228/225/165

Height: 5'6''

I've never heard of this, but it seems really cool. I used to hula hoop all the time as a little kid I'll definitely check this out
the1janie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #7  

It's a drizzly day in SoCA and I've already hooped my way through "More of the Monkees" and "Salsa Explosion" while chipping away at the housework in between

BTW my friend says she's had some luck making hoops for her kids out of heavy irrigation tubing and tape! The travel hoop and DVD are $45 (I believe there are coupons online) but if you want one for 3 kids that gets steep. As long as they are round and heavy -- they work!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/ticker/165

Height: 5'11

This sounds AWESOME! I went to a bunch of music festivals this summer and I was really inspired by all the hula hooping girls there, they were so good! I'd love to give this a try, how long does your workout go a day? My biggest problem in my area is my waist so I'm really excited about this! Thanks k8
stephandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #9  
Be happy.

My husband made me a hoop tonight.

I couldn't believe how easy it was. We didn't put water or sand in it, but the pvc is fairly heavy. It's big - we used the 'beginner dimensions' - and I can't believe how much fun it is. I was clumsy at first but kept playing and by the time I quit for the night, I could keep the hoop spinning through a full song, sometimes a song and a half. I can't wait to take it out again tomorrow.

Stephandra, I got all my info online, but several different sites say you'll notice a difference quickly if you hoop for 30 mins at least 3x a week.

K8 EEE, what do you do with your arms?
I'm not ready to try any tricks yet, so I just kind of held my arms up out of the way of the hoop. I waved them around some, but right now it's still taking all my concentration to keep the hoop going around my waist and I'd loose the hoop when I tried to do anything other than just hold my arms up in the air or close to my chest.
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:03 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default I want one!

HOW did I miss out on hearing about this hoop exercise??? I absolutely LOVE to hula hoop! Seriously, every time I see one laying around I pick it up and start going to town...whether it's an appropriate time/situation or not! lol.

I work overnights at a group home and I think I could totally do this while the kids are sleeping! I tried to Zumba at work, but I'm too worried about waking them up with, but hooping is pretty silent, right?

I'm going to make one tonight and try it out...maybe even break out the colored electrical tape to make it pretty :-)
trying2doitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 AM   #11  
Be happy.

I think hooping should work great for you while the kids are asleep - I used mine last night while my DH was asleep in the room above me and again this morning while he was still sleeping. I like music but didn't need much volume. There are some distinct thuds when I drop my hoop, but so far they haven't been enough to bother him. I'll be looking forward to hearing how your hoop making goes. I decorated mine last night and I'm happy with it, but it's got a definite amateurish look to it.

I was disappointed yesterday morning when I didn't feel the least bit sore when I got up. But last night when I started hooping I could feel the muscles I'd worked the night before. Not painful, but I could feel them. I worked up to 40 minutes last night, and can go much longer without loosing my rhythm and dropping the hoop now. Improvement is coming so quickly - who knows, maybe I will learn a few of the simpler tricks after all.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #12  

Okay, so it was more difficult applying the colored duct tape to the hoop than I thought it would be! How do people get it to wrap around the tubing so smoothly?

I've been checking out different hooping sites...and am noticing a scary trend of raver go go dancers in CRAZY outfits hooping. All I want to know is...is wearing horrible bellbottoms or those furry bootie things a pre-requisite for hooping?

Anyways, I'll be hooping tonight at work. Yeehaw!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I love my 3 lb weighted hula hoop. I've had it for quite a long time and it's by far my favorite activity. I usually do it for about 45 minutes to an hour at a rapid pace to music I like... it's terribly fun!
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #14  
Be happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2doitall View Post
All I want to know is...is wearing horrible bellbottoms or those furry bootie things a pre-requisite for hooping?
Let's hope not!

I had a lot more fun THINKING about taping my hoop than actually taping it. I ended up with plenty of wrinkly spots. I was surprised at how much heavier the hoop feels with the tape on it though. I didn't put any water or sand in it, so I'm pleased with the extra weight, for now at least.

How did hooping at work go?

Layri, the music makes a big difference, doesn't it? I'm working on a "hooping playlist" on my iPod. I hope I stay this happy with/excited about hooping through the winter. I'm really having a ball with it.

Last edited by Heidi58; 10-21-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #15  

Hooping at work went well! No one woke up from the occasional falls, and I had a blast taking a break in between bed-checks and paperwork. Thankfully the house has digital cable with all those great music channels, and even with that on low volume I had a blast. Definitely helps kick up the blood flow and keep me awake!