Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Default Thinking of running...

I've lost 50 lbs and my exercise has simply been walking an hour each day. I walk outside, and I love my daily walk. But now it's cold - like in the teens sometimes when I walk (no ice, thank goodness!). And I'm thinking if I switched to running, I would 1) stay warmer, and 2) get to go back inside sooner.

I used to run ten years ago, when I weighed 160 lbs (I weight ~135 now). And while I loved running (I ran 2-3 miles four days a week on sidewalks in town), it did a number on my knees after a while. Does the fact that I weigh less now mean that it might not be so hard on my knees? Just the thought of running makes my knees hurt, but I'm sorely tempted to try it.

I've heard running on asphalt is easier on the knees than concrete. Our streets, though, are simply a layer of asphalt over concrete. Would it still be worth it to run on the street rather than the sidewalk?

Signed,
Shivering in Nebraska
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

"I've heard running on asphalt is easier on the knees than concrete."

No, I read it doesn't make a difference unless you run on grass.

A good pair of shoes and work on your running gait and you should be fine unless you have bad knees. You should check out some running websites, lots of specific information as you begin your running journey.
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #3  

Ashphalt is so very much softer than concrete. Try it--you might not feel it at a walk, but it's noticeable at a run with the higher impact. (I feel it not only while I'm running but also the next day, in both knees.)

That said, cold asphalt isn't nearly as soft as warm asphalt (esp. new-this-season warm asphalt, IMO the best stuff ever to run on), so there's less of a difference in the winter.

Personally, if it's safe I run on asphalt and I do not ever run two days in a row on concrete.

All that said, 165 at 5'6 is not that big for a runner-- I'd be looking at shoe or sidewalk-tilt issues on top of weight and surface as an explanation for what happened then.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

I third the recommendation for making sure you have good shoes. Also be sure to stretch before and after. I do dynamic stretches before running and static stretches after. Google dynamic stretching for runners and you can find a whole lot of info.

And while your previous weight was not that high, I think 25 lbs off may very well make a considerable difference for your knees.

Happy Running!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote