Has anyone tried Ashtanga?

• Hey ladies,

I've been a yogi for a while now, but I've mostly stuck with fairly gentle, restorative practices. I've been getting increasingly more curious about ashtanga, but I've heard that it's super intense and I'm not sure it's such a good idea while I still weigh this much.

So, what are your thoughts? Have any of you tried it? Is it doable at higher weights? Did you enjoy the practice? Any advice is appreciated
  • I do not have any experience with Ashtanga - where do you practice? In a studio? If so, maybe speak to one of the yogis there to discuss your concerns. I'm sure they can provide the best advice.

If you practice at home, maybe call a local yoga studio & get their advice?

Just a couple of thoughts since you hadn't seen any responses yet.

Good luck to you!
    Cheryl
  • Haha, thanks for the feedback!

Cheryl- I do practice at a yoga studio...the teacher said I would be fine, but I'm nervous anyway, hahah. I guess it couldn't hurt to go once and see what happens....
  • ashtanga was my first ever yoga class! i had no idea there was a difference between that and hatha and got my *** kicked with the sequences.

i think if you've been doing hatha for a while and you feel good, definitely give it a shot. the asanas are the same, just done quickly and in a specific order (as i'm sure you know).

also, i did ashtanga at 230lbs and didn't hurt myself and while it was intense, i was basically able to keep up. any good teacher will help you modify or understand that you may not be able to do some poses.

namaste and let us know how it goes!
  • Give it a try - there are always modifications if you need them. The practice is for YOU, so just stay tuned-in to your body & its needs and you will do GREAT!

Report back & let us know how it goes.
  • If you are in good cardiovascular shape, it's easier in some ways because you don't have to hold the uncomfortable poses for very long. It's definitely a different kind of challenge than Ashtanga, give it a shot! It's a great workout!
  • Oh man, I just googled the sequences in the primary series and some of them are absolutely terrifying, haha. I'm going next Tuesday, so I'll report back and let you know what happens...
  • I am assuming ashtanga is like flow yoga. I love flow and I do hot yoga. Its hard, but a good leader give water breaks. You get a good cardio workout while doing the strength and flex of yoga, its win-win for me.
    Love love love it.
  • I've done ashtanga, it's is very intense, but I actually liked having the series and knowing what comes next... I'm sure you'll do fine!
  • I hope to do ashtanga soon, and I feel that I may struggle BUT I'm so determined to do it! I'm sure you can modify and be fine in class.