Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-27-2003, 09:22 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello,
It is a really great form of exercise that gives nice tone to the body. As I said before, I weight train religiously, and bellydancing gives me tone and makes me sore in different areas-so I feel that I am getting a better all around workout including it. In weight training I feel soreness in my torso usually in my upper back and chest-where after bellydancing I feel it in my ribcage area and middle back. After weight training the outer cap of my shoulder feels it most, and with the bellydancing shoulder shimmies, it is more deep within.
I am attending the bellydance hafla (bellydance party) open house next weekend-the 9th-and I will be seeing local performers and they are having a lot of items for sale there. I am really excited about it, and about starting class. I already have almost everything I need for class-zils, a hip scarf, and proper class attire-choli (bellydance half top) and leotard tops, and lycra pants. The only thing I need to get is a veil-and I can buy one at the hafla. I am excited about learning veilwork.
For some cheap bellydance supplies, such as zils and cholis-I recommend you all visit www.aliahscloset.com-they don't have the fanciest costumes and accessories in the world, but if you just need a few items to practice with, it is the place. They have nice zils and coin hip scarves there though, and in lots of colors.
I am really psyched about class. My plan is to go up to the performance level and to join her dance troupe so I can perform. My father in law is the head of a clogging/square dancing group, and he performs all over at local street fairs and events, and I love to go watch him dance.
Does anyone here have any zils? If you do not and are thinking about buying them, when they come the elastic will not be finished on them. You have to put them on and fit the elastic to where it is pretty snug on your middle fingers and thumbs, and sew the elastic to that tightness securely. I found the easiest way is to put them on, put a straight pin where it needs sewn, and use a sewing machine going back and forth over it a few times so it will not come loose, and trim the excess. It only takes about 5 minutes to do.
For anyone else that is good at sewing, McCall's has a decent bellydance costume pattern out. It has a head scarf, a bra top, harem pants, and a hip scarf. On the cover it is decorated with fringe, but you could sew on bells or coins, or whatever you wish.
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 02:04 PM   #17  

My fiance's grandmother took and taught bellydancing after she turned 50! She and many of her friends got together to learn it. She had to quit teaching once her cancer got very advanced, but she didn't quit dancing until the very end. We have some old pictures of her in her costume (she made it herself). I had never seen a sexy 50-something before! she had the most defined abs! i think i may see about taking it up myself!

Ashley
sun1shine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 05:18 PM   #18  

Ashley,
I think it would be absolutely wonderful if you could put one of her best pics up her on this thread-so motivating for everyone! I also think that she would be proud knowing how much you thought of her dancing and looking sexy at 50 something! Bellydance looks beautiful on everyone-delicate or large boned, tall or short, older or young, and heavy or thin! There are many costume ideas that can be utilized to camoflauge figure flaws and still look sexy!
If you get well enought to perform (or even just perform a little dance for that someone special in your life) you have the choice of wearing a floaty skirt, or you can wear harem pants, you can wear a sparkly bra, or a choli (stretchy half-top for bellydance) for more coverage if you want. It is all up to you and what you feel good in. I personally like to wear a choli, because my arms are not in shape well enough to show them off with a bra style top just yet!
It really is such a great exercise though! I am really interested in hearing from those who are bellydancing now, or practice with tapes-I am wanting to know, what is your favorite couple of dance moves? I love ribcage lifts and drops and I am getting pretty good at shoulder shimmies. I think hip shimmies are the hardest for me, I cna do them, but I am working on getting them up to Shakira speed...not quite there yet!
Aphil
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 AM   #19  

I'll see if my fiance minds if i bring a picture in to work to scan. I think it sounds like great fun. I'm going to be investing in some different exercise "stuff" on payday - walking shoes, an 8lb weight, and maybe (if there's enough cash) i can get a video. I'm also wanting to see about getting a yoga video, so maybe there'll be a two-pack Wishful thinking!

Ashley
sun1shine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:22 PM   #20  

Wow! I became interested in bellydancing a while bck, but jsut recently purchased a tape. I love it! I feel like it has opened up new opportunities for self-acceptance. I'm so glad I heard about it here on 3FC and that there is such a great group of people here that love bellydancing too!
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:31 PM   #21  

KiraR-
it really is a self-accepting dance. It does a lot for the self esteem, and it celebrates a feminine shape by emphasising the female shape, rather than the recent trend of waif models like Kate Moss, where in jeans and a tank top she looked like a 12 year old boy-denying the feminine shape by ridding herself of all feminine curves. Being thin and fit is one thing, but having absolutely no hips or breasts is another.
I am glad that you are here with us! What tape do you have? I have 4 or 5 different ones, and my classes start soon.
There is a wonderful website I would like you all to look at-it is a website of full figured bellydancers, showing larger dancers in costumes. They all look really nice. It is at www.angelfire.com/art/bbwdance/index.html
I also recommend you check out www.shira.net if you want to see another great bellydancer. She is a tall bigger boned girl-not plus sized, but bigger-a size 12 or 14 I would guess. Shehas a great site that has bellydance video reviews, costume tips, information about the history of bellydance, and anything else you could think of about bellydance. She is a great person, and I have emailed with her on occasion. Check it out!
Amy-Aphil
Old 01-31-2003, 11:41 PM   #22  

Amy,
Thanks so much for your reply, I'll check out those sites. And also, thank you so much for starting this thread
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:16 PM   #23  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hello everyone

Nice to see other people who are interested in Bellydancing!

I have been taking classes for about two years now and I love it!
I have even actually performed in public at a show I was really nervous but it was great!

I agree with Aphil it is a great work out and you have so much fun it doesn't even feel like exercise. I have managed to lose 2-3 inches off my butt and hips area in the past year.

The music is great too-very uplifting. The veil work is my favorite part. My class also works with Zills. I also find it very empowering.

Thanks Aphil, for sharing your information on tapes and websites.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:50 AM   #24  

mauvaisroux-
I have posted with you on numerous other threads-I had no idea you bellydanced!
I have been practicing zils with my videos at home, and we will be using them in later dance lessons when class starts-we will be doing veilwork first. I haven't tried it yet, but I think it is beautiful. I will be making my own veils, because buying them are way too expensive since I have a serger that can do the edging on them. If anyone wants to know how to make a standard size rectangular veil-all you need to do is to buy a piece of fabric that is 45" wide on the bolt, and buy 3 yards/9 feet of it. Then you or someone who knows how to do a rolled hem on a serger can just make an edging around it to make it look nice. You can also sew on a trim around the edge if you want to-but be careful-because you should really use a sheer fabric like chiffon or a lace that flows well/not too stiff. Then you have your veil!
I have watched two of my new tapes, and will be trying them out today-Basic Dance and Beyond Basic Dance by Veena and Neena. The Basic Dance one goes through basic moves just like The fitness one-Basic Moves-but it has a few more moves like chest undulations. It is 45 minutes long instead of 30-because the last 15 minutes they actually teach you a little dance using the movements learned. The Beyond Basic Dance is the exact same format, but it incorporates another little dance to learn at the end, and you are learning and using a few more moves that are a bit more difficult, such as hip drop kicks combinations, and new arms. They are both very nice. After these two are mastered, the third in the series, Mystic Dance-teaches some basic veilwork.
I havenot yet watched Warrior Goddess Workout with Dolphina, so I will let you know how it is later on.
I like these Veena and Neena tapes-my new ones are great for dancing and learning new moves, and my Fitness Basic Moves is great for when I want to do "drills" with movements to get them better. I HAVE noticed however, that one of the twins is a better dancer than the other. One seems to have better natural rhythm, and a more advanced form than the other-she will arch her back or shimmie her shoulders a little harder than the other, etc. I am trying to compare their introductions in the tape to them moving around, trying to figure out which one it is!
My all time favorite is still Fat Chance Bellydance, and I encourage anyone who loves bellydance to get a video of theirs. Their precision and fabulous rough, tribal style just motivates me like no other dancers. My favorite is their performance at the end of their costume and makeup video...they really make Dolphina and the twins look like amateurs-no kidding. (My husband thinks they are the sexiest women on the planet.) If any of you watch them, you will see what I mean.
Aphil
Old 02-04-2003, 06:14 PM   #25  

Aphil,

I love dancing with the veils - makes you feel tres sexy!

I have two hip scarves and a top with beading and coins. One scarf is purple with silver coins, the other is tiger print with gold coins-Rowrrrr!

I am planning on making some veils too and a skirt. I bought some sequins in gold and silver to trim the edges.

Don't you just love the music they use in the tapes? I have several cd's and play them all the time- even just to do the housework. I find the music very uplifting. I am having some trouble with the zills though I just need to pratice at home more.

Let us know how you get on at your class- when do you start?

Take care,
Mauvaisroux
Old 02-05-2003, 09:05 AM   #26  

My classes start in a couple weeks-I am excited.
If you are having trouble with zils, you can usually use the simple "right left right" rhythm in a lot of songs, and you don't have to do it the entire dance, you can use it just for accent if it makes it easier. You can practice it without your zils on to get the rhythm better. I do that a lot.
Ebay is a good place to get hips scarves cheaper than in stores if anyone wants to check it out.
I checked out Dolphina's second video-Warrior Goddess-and it has its good points and bad points. My biggest complaint about her first one was that the camera concentrated on her upper body too much when demonstrating lower body moves-well, the second video has completely rectified that-showing her entire body when she is demonstrating the moves. I also liked what she was teaching, and the music. The only thing I didn't like about it was that I really liked the lush backgrouds from the first video-it was very exotic. The second one is really lacking in background-she is standing on a white platform that has water around it, and instead of wearing the differetn gorgeous bellydance inspired attire like in the first one-she is wearing a goddesslife (her company) top that she sells on her website with yoga pants and a small hip scarf. So-in short, the workout part and camera work is good, but it is not as enchanting with the background and attire and all as the first.
Aphil
Old 02-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #27  

Hello everyone

I forgot to mention that I bought a silver cane from my teacher the other week and we have been learning a few moves with it-it is totally cool!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #28  

Hello!
I went to the hafla this weekend, and my classes start in two weeks. It was much fun! My instructor has has members of her troupe that are all ages, shapes, and sizes! Some of her students danced at the hafla to get their feet wet performing in front of an audience, and I was really impressed with this little girl who has only been taking class for 2 months! Her older sister is a dancer and she wanted to learn-and she danced a simple routne with her older sister. She was only about 9, and a bit on the chubby side-and you could tell at first that she was nervous-but she did a wonderful job, and even did some basic veilwork. I was so happy for her, and the instructor and her sister just hugged all over her when she was done. I am glad that I will be dancing in such a friendly, supportive environment of all types of women.
There were some great vendors there, selling some cool stuff. I bought a few bindis-the little jewels you wear on your forehead for only $1.50 each.
If anyone is interested in making their own veil, a good inexpensive combination is to use chiffon in the size mentioned above, and sew a seam 1/4" from the raw edge all the way around. Press it in on that seamline, and fold it in again 1/4" and pin. Sew this hem down all around and you have your raw edges sealed all around. It is really pretty easy. A good weight of trim is the single row of sequin trim that they sell for about $1.50 a roll at Wal-Mart in the fabric section. You will need 2 rolls. You just hand sew it around the edge and it is done. You have a veil for about $15 or less-just like one that is $30 or more in a store-and it takes about 2-4 hours total.
It is my bellydance and abs day today in my exercise program-and I will probably do the Goddess Workout and then 10 minutes of abs. Everyone have a great day!
Aphil
Old 02-11-2003, 04:38 PM   #29  

Hey everyone!

Aphil, you have inspired me to wipe the dust off my Neena and Veena tapes and get my butt moving and also to get my sewing machine going again!
Old 02-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #30  

Hello!
mauvaisroux-I am glad to be inspiring!
I am just the type that would rather take the time to make something myself if I can-because if I do, I can usually save money, and do better work. With the veil I am doing now, I am saving about half of the cost for 2-4 hours of work, and since I am picky, my seams tend to be straighter and edges finished nicer than in some store bought items.
I will tell you all though-you can make coined and beaded hip scarves for a fraction of what they cost to buy, because what you are paying for is the time to make them. Most of them have thread crocheted edging which the coins and beads are attached to-and it takes quite a while to do all of that! So-if you have time and the know how-it would save a lot and you could customize them to exactly what you want-and when your fingers are busy, it is much harder to eat! (This is one of my biggest nightime munchie avoiding tactics)
mauvais-do you have any pictures of you in bellydance attire that you could put up? I need to get my husband to take a few of me and get them up here. I think it would be very inspiring for those wanting to learn to dance to see ladies of all shapes and sizes in bellydance costumes!
Aphil