Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-25-2003, 12:13 PM   #136  
deleted2

I have "Slimdown"---very easy to find at any Target store. As a matter of fact, it was my first bellydance video so I have very tender feelings about it! Very easy to follow and made me believe that I can actually do this!
Old 06-25-2003, 01:25 PM   #137  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I may have to get that one then...I liked the fat burning one, but it is more middle eastern dancing, and less traditional belly dance moves-I heard that the slimdown is more traditional belly dance moves but at a more cardio pace-which is what I would like to have in my collection.
Thanks!
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:37 PM   #138  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hmmmm I am going to the States in July and I think there is a Target the close to where we are staying. Maybe my friend and I can con someone into driving us to the local mall too
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 03:13 PM   #139  

Arrgh...just finished my Pilates-now I best jump in the shower and start getting ready for class tonight! Yippee!!!!
I have fabric cut out for 5 cholis cut out now in sizes s-xl-I am going to put them together in assembly line fashion-do the sleeves on all of them first, then all the shoulder, etc. to save time. Hopefully the other students and dancers at teh workshop in September will like them!
Aphil
Old 06-26-2003, 12:41 PM   #140  

As usual your out fits sound cool Aphil!

I really admire you for your ability to sew and for your self-confidence in making things for others -way to go
Old 06-26-2003, 02:35 PM   #141  

Thanks Mauvais!
I did The Veena and Neena Fitness dvd today-Basic Moves, along with some abwork. I am taking the kids down to my mothers tomorrow for the night, and on my way back I will stop by her local Joann fabrics and see what goodies I can find there...belly dance apparel making is pretty addictive!
Aphil
Old 06-26-2003, 03:04 PM   #142  
it's always something

Did you guys see this?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet....ing/index.html

CNN news article on belly dancing for fitness. It's not often belly dancing makes the news!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:22 PM   #143  

Thanks Suzanne!!!
That was a very nice article-and I feel the exact same way about the bonding experience talked about in the article. Our classes are all women of all races, ages, shapes and sizes. When we started our first class in the continuing level last night, we went around to everyone in the class and introduced ourselves to each other (some come from other dance schools, and some are in my class from two different beginning classes my instructor teaches) and we were asked to tell everyone what we hope to get out of this class. One woman in our class-a slightly overweight woman probably about 45 said "I just love it-since I started belly dancing about 6 months ago, I have realized that it is about the best thing I have done for myself in a very, very long time."
The comeradery, the new friendships, the exercise...and learning and participating in something that has been sacred for women in other cultures for years and years...there is just something so powerful about it-no mainstream step aerobics class can ever come close to this...
Aphil
Old 06-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #144  

Thanks for the article Suzanne- it really is true. I think it is a great experience for most people. The music is amazing, you meet new people, you feel good, you end up exploring another culture.

I am going to try planning an evening out with my classmates where we go to a proper Lebanese restaurant, not the take out shwarma kind (which is yummy ) but a proper restaurant and the place I have in mind features a professional belly dancer on Friday nights- I think it will be fun!

We have been learning a little Arabic as we go along as well and I am seriously thinking of taking some classes. I already speak French, Italian and Spanish (although the last two are a bit rusty) and I would also like to learn Chinese. My husband says to pick one and go with it
Old 06-27-2003, 08:52 AM   #145  

-You should go for it and learn some Arabic! And you should definitely go to the restaurant with the bellydancers! We don't have any around here, but we do about 2 hours away...I may have to go sometime as well!
Heck-we have a middle eastern restaurant in Fort Wayne-maybe in a year or two I'll go apply for a job-tell them having a dancer there will increase their business!
Aphil
Old 06-29-2003, 09:16 PM   #146  

Yeah, I love Lebanese food

We are planning on going to a Persian restaurant for my birthday next weekend - I can't wait
Old 07-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #147  

Hi Aphil! I saw you post about belly dancing over on videofitness and came here and saw that you are also from Indiana. I have been taking lessons in Indianapolis and was wondering where abouts you are taking lessons?

Liz
beledigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 09:47 AM   #148  

Hey Beledigirl- weird coincidence I am going to be in Indy in 2 weeks at a convention - small world

We went for to a Persian restaurant on Saturday night- it was great! Food was really yummy and well- priced and they had a guy there playing middle eastern music- I almost felt like getting up to dance but wasn't sure how they would react

Aphil- I am currently torn between learning Arabic and learning Chinese I will have to decide before September so I can sign up for a course at the local high school.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:43 AM   #149  

Hi Liz! I take lessons up here in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. It is nice up here, because we are only about 2 hours away from South Bend/Mishawaka Indiana, and there is a dancer up there named Ruby Jazayre who usually hosts some sort of wokshop and belly dance show each year.
My teacher's name is Zweena bint Asya, and she teaches up here-cabaret, tribal fusion, etc. we have a nice set up at a local "alternative" sort of dance shool-not the traditional tap, ballet, etc. We have belly dance, yoga, modern movement sort of dance, African dance...it is a nice little school.
Aphil
mauvais-learn Arabic! Arabic! Arabic! hee hee hee
Old 07-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #150  

Aphil is that you doing the Zena yell???