Heart Rate Monitors/ Calorie burn monitors

• I'm looking for a GOOD (but not real $$) monitor that will keep up with my heart rate and calories burned. I'd love body bugg, but jsut can't afford that, so looking for something under 100. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • I don't have any advice of what to buy, but I do have a recommendation of what NOT to buy. I just got this one from amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Bowflex-Strapl...4405427&sr=8-3

You have to place 2 fingers on the buttons above/below the display for it to register your heart rate. This is how it calculate calories, too, so you'll want to do this often during a workout. Maybe others are more coordinated than I am, but it is nearly impossible when I'm really working hard to do this - - and 90% of the time, it doesn't read my HR anyway. I am returning it (hopefully) and considering something that has a chest strap instead.

Good luck! I'll be interested in the responses, too.
  • I have a Polar FT60 with optional foot pod. I got this one because it has an 'own zone' feature where it can set my target zones based on my actual heart rate versus standard formulas. My functional heart rate is a lot higher than the formulas so they tend to dramatically overstate my calories burned. This one puts my 'zone 3' burn much higher up, with a higher max heart rate. Makes the calculations more accurate. I love it, have had it for about 18 months now, have exchanged the battery once in the transmitter and once in the watch.

ETA 0- didn't catch the under $100 price point. Mine is currently at $199 on Amazon. Oops.

I like Polar as a brand though, and they have some less expensive options as well.
  • I'm back to liking my bowflex HRM watch. It works great for everything except when I'm running. I am just not coordinated enough to take my HR multiple times while I'm on the go, but have decided to postpone getting anything more expensive until next spring/summer as I won't hardly be outside again until then (boo!). I have a Polar chestrap that synchs with my treadmill, so that works great. I used my bowflex watch (see link about) last night for my 30DS (Jillian Michael's) DVD and thought it was easy & effective.

Sooooo, I guess the point is that the watches have some downsides. You have to manually take your HR in order to get the calorie estimation. In cases where you are essentially doing intervals (like Jillian), you'll want to do it frequently. The chest strap or foot pod is continual, but they typically cost more.

Good luck! Let us know what you get and if you love it! I have only had mine for a couple of weeks, and already I'm addicted to knowing my HR during my workouts to help gague intensity. It is pretty fun.
  • I'm still tossing around. I thought I wanted one with no chest strap but i'm rethinking it. I am so bad at making decisions. I just hate to spend good money on crap.
  • you could look into a used BB on ebay. also there is a woman on FB (go to the BB FB page) who sells them and she has some used ones too. she may have a deal for you.

Not a fan of the HRM, hate the strap with a big chest and I hated it more when I would exercise.
  • I got a Polar HRM from overstock.com. I don't see mine on there now but it is pretty non-fancy, with a chest strap.

I can't say I love the chest strap -- it can be a little uncomfortable. I generally don't notice it while I'm working out though -- just afterwards.