Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #1  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Default What's a reasonable running program after a race?

So when I first started running I just did what I could. 2-3 miles occasionally 4. Right now I'm training for a half marathon. I'm not sure what my plans are after the marathon, probably to start working on my speed doing a few 10ks and another half at some point. In between I'd like a healthy challenging running program that won't burn me out or overtrain me, but be enough to justify my maintenance cals. Right now I'm thinking 3-5 miles 3xs a week and 5-10 miles 1x a week with 2 days of strength training. So that's about 15-20 miles/week. Obviously I have to figure this out on my own, but I'm wondering what others exerience with this is.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #2  
improving life!

Height: 5'7"

I've heard that the best after a half marathon or marathon is to not run 3-4 days after the race then to start off a little less than wear you were and work yourself back up (if you want to go back up). If you plan on training for shorter races then perhaps after the 3-4 days, start a training schedule for one of those. Maybe an intermediate 10k program.

If you don't really want to do a training program right after then you could do what your suggesting, run a few miles some days and a few other days. Figure out how many miles you like to run in one day and find out how many miles you want to run in a week. At runners world I saw something about what kind of runner you consider yourself and how many miles you should run (5k=20-25, 10k=25-30, 1/2 marathon=30-40). Personally I think the best way to figure out how much you are going to run is think about how much you use to go to the gym before you ran. If you would go for an hour maybe run for an hour and don't go to the gym, or run 45 minutes then do weights for 15 minutes. You'll be doing the same amount of time you did before at lost weight at. You can also figure out how many calories you need to burn to maintain then figure out how much running that would be.
pinkalarmclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #3  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

Maybe check out Hal Higdon or Jeff Galloway and see if they have a program that fits what you're looking for?
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote