Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #16  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Swimming is the foundation (and often only part) of my exercise. I went to the Master's Nationals in Atlanta this spring, and agree that the swimmers are definitely different from the marathoners. Swimmers are sleek, happy, and well-preserved. Marathoners all seem to look haggard and older than they really are. Getting out of gravity for a few hours each week makes a big difference, and it's so nice not to have sweat dripping. The downside is that it can be tough to find somewhere to swim, and it's probably more expensive overall than running.

As a competitive swimmer for literally 3 decades, I can't attest to the issues with hunger being any different for swimming than for any other intense sport - it's just about making good choices about the pre and post-workout snack.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 243/159/140

Height: 5'6

Swimming is the best! It practically works and tones you entire body because it requires every muscle. Although i would have to admitt after swimming for an hour or so you have this taste in your mouth that you would want to get rid of you might eat some sweets. But i drinking gatorade will ease. Exercising is a breeze in the pool. Buy paddles to work your arms and a kickboard to work your legs. If you an inexperienced swimming train the front crawl first then when you think your ready try different strokes. Each stroke requires a different part of the body mostly. For example all the strokes require technique. But yeah for a good exercise just focus on each part of your body on a daily scale.
LisaBendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #18  

Default Even people who can't swim can workout in the pool!

For people with joint and back problems, aqua-workouts are ideal - the water acts as a giant cushion for the joints, protecting them from the kind of stress and impact they experience when exercising out of the water.

I have a temporary disability that keeps me from effective exercise on land, but with aquacise, I get a good workout with minimal pain. I'm not a good swimmer, so I wear a flotation belt and "swim" laps, jog, do stretching exercises, leg raises, ab crunches, knee flexing, upperbody workout, and so much more.
Most exercises can be done in the shallow end of the pool if you prefer.
You can increase resistance by wearing ankle/wrist weights.

Here are some free videos on basic aqua-fitness pool workouts.

Note: Always check with your doctor or physical therapist to see which exercises are best for you.
Sherrie568 is offline   Reply With Quote