Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Arrow Will walking do anything for me?

I know running is a calorie scorcher, so does that mean that walking isn't? I want to lose weight by eating healthy and taking long walks, but obviously I don't feel the "burn" that I feel when I run. Does that mean I'm hardly burning calories?

Thanks!
neveragainbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

you are burning calories just not as much if you were to run...but walking does burn certain amount of calories depending on how slow or fast you walk. Check this site out http://walking.about.com/cs/howtolos...howcalburn.htm
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #3  
repeat offender

S/C/G: 178/167/105

Height: 5' 3"

Actually walking the best way to burn off fat. Although running will burn more calories in the same amount of time, it burns more carbohydrates instead of fat. So if you have the time to walk the same distance instead of running, than that's great! Those of us who are impatient and more bang (calories) for our bucks (time) resorts to running instead.
Miaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/169/135

Height: 5 feet verticaly challenged & loving it!

Something Ive been looking into is interval walking. Think that's what they call it. Basicaly what you do is walk for say 6 minutes. Then sprint for 30 to 60 seconds. Then walk till you catch your breath and heart rate slows a bit. Then sprint again. You are supposed to burn more calories this way and it cuts your walking time in half.

My friend and I walk and we use land markers for our sprints. Like she'll call out " to the the blue mailbox" and we'll sprint then slow to a brisk walk for a few. Then I'll yell " to the third pole" and so on and so on. We finished our normal 3 mile walk in almost half the time and it made it more fun.
DebbieLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/242/165

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieLN View Post
Something Ive been looking into is interval walking. Think that's what they call it. Basicaly what you do is walk for say 6 minutes. Then sprint for 30 to 60 seconds. Then walk till you catch your breath and heart rate slows a bit. Then sprint again. You are supposed to burn more calories this way and it cuts your walking time in half.

My friend and I walk and we use land markers for our sprints. Like she'll call out " to the the blue mailbox" and we'll sprint then slow to a brisk walk for a few. Then I'll yell " to the third pole" and so on and so on. We finished our normal 3 mile walk in almost half the time and it made it more fun.
hey sounds like something i could do going to give it a try!
cocomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Excellent idea. This exactly how I started. I couldn't run but just a few feet but wow--does it add up quickly.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

In theory, at my weight/height I burn about 100 calories per mile whether I'm walking or running (I run slow). So think of your calories being burned as a distance thing, vs. a time thing.

If I walk 3 miles at a pace of 3 mile per hour, I will burn 300 calories per hour.
If I run 3 miles at a pace of 6 miles per hour, I will burn 600 calories per hour.
But, If I walk 6 miles at a pace of 3 mile per hour and it takes me 2hrs, then I'll burn 600 calories.

Interval training - by inserting sprints will speed up your mile. So If I walk for a 5 mins, sprint 1, walk 5 sprint 1, etc. I might be able to increase my average speed to 4 miles per hour, which means I would then be able to cover a distance of 4 miles in one hours time and burn 400 calories, instead of only covering 3 and 300 cals.

That is why running burns more calories - you can cover a greater distance in a shorter amount of time, thus burning more calories. But, if you are talking longer walks and doing it for longer periods of time, it will still be good

Walking is certainly better than sitting on the couch and not exercising
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #8  
aka Vicky

S/C/G: 275/Ticker/175

Height: 5'8"

Instead of just "walking," I am assuming on a flat surface, take some hills, or go to a forest preserve and walk the paths there, they are rarely flat. or, you can hike, that will burn extra calories as well.
MaddiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #9  
Caroline

S/C/G: 173/ticker/123

Height: 5' 5"

For me, I love running because it gets me fit & burns calories fast.

I run maybe 3 times a week for 40 minutes = 120 minutes.

But, I find walk much easier to do and schedule. I walk whenever I get a chance. I love to walk and think. I walk during my lunch break. And when I want to run to the store to buy candy, I take a walk instead. So I get several 20-30 minutes walks a day.

On average, I walk 60 minutes every single day = 420 minutes

I'm definitely burning more calories through walking than running lately. And I agree about the heat. It's been 90-95 here and I'm not running in that. I've been walking and biking instead.

I suggest you do what you like to do. If you like walking, then walk.

Have fun!
motivated chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #10  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieLN View Post
I like to do this too when I am at a lower weight. I don't really reduce my time though, I just go further. Unless my knee hurts which means I shouldn't have done it in the first place.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: (HW=174)154/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

Walking is calming and meditative for me, and I can do it for hours. Walking is good because you can do it without having to shower afterward. I like to walk around DC, which can take HOURS and burns tons of calories if you do it long enough.

I've read in running magazines that walking is one of the best things you can do for your legs. I say walk, walking up hill is hard, and exercise in the way you like and will be most willing to do.
RunnerChemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:16 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I started exercising by walking and it helped me tremendously. I probably lost the first 20-25 pounds by walking (and through diet, of course). I think it is a great way to get exercise!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/137/120

Height: 4'11''

When I first started working out, I was walking on the treadmill for an hour plus ellyptical. My legs are ALOT firmer, my butt has lifted, and I can feel my pants fitting alot looser than they were. I always walk at an incline at 5 minutes each incline and at a speed of 3.3-3.5 It worked for me and I love the way my legs look now.
celigirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #14  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I walk a 5k six days a week. I love it. I put on my iPod, zone out, and enjoy my walk. I get a lot of thinking done that way, and it always improves my mood. I'm considering jogging when I get to the 50 lbs. lost mark, but at my current weight, it is just too painful. I'll keep walking until I've walked it all off though. To avoid the dreaded plateau, I also do pilates, bellydance (in the comfort of my own home no one wants to see that!) and do strength training. I love my workouts and somehow, working out has become my favorite part of the day! I can't believe that!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Just curious, but what about the actual health benefits? I'm jogging a few times a week now, and when I walk, even a fast walk, I don't even get out of breath. I feel like I could easily walk forever. My body must be getting more efficient, so am I really gaining the muscular/cardiovascular benefits from walking that I would have when I was in much worse shape?
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote