Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

Default Courage to go to the Gym

COURAGE ( im a terrible speller )
Hey ladies/gents,

Trying to get the courage to go to the Gym.. I've got a friend who works out alot and well its come to my head of being work out buddies but im just not sure im ready for it... It really would start this weight loss *they are the ones helping me with my eating plan*

Did anyone else have a hard time just Getting started?

Last edited by luciddepths; 04-15-2010 at 10:56 PM.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM   #2  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

You just got to jump in! What are you worried about specifically?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #3  

no idea, i get very self concious and jsut feel like im in a room where everyone is staring at me.. its a werid thing.. but its all menal im sure.. i'd love to ONLY lift weights at the gym.. i used to workout when i was at university and i loved the weights, i could care less about cardio that and i have an elliptical and bike at home.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

They're thinking about themselves, mostly, whether they can last to the end of the duration they so ambitiously set on the machine, whether they're doing it right, whether the little pain in the calf is a cramp that'll pass or something that will bother them the next morning, whether they remembered to turn off the coffee pot, what they'll defrost for dinner, etc.

When you appear in their peripheral vision, they see you as just another person in the gym, like they are, & their thoughts move on just a second or two later.

And maybe it's me on the elliptical behind you. (Though probably not, as you're up in Canada & I am down here in the U.S., near Manhattan.) But you can't tell by looking at me -- with my clothes on, anyway -- that I once weighed 257 pounds -- which is more than you, and I'm a good three inches shorter -- and that I was once just like you, embarrassed to be seen in a gym, which I thought was just for people who were already fit. You can't tell that I post on 3FC. So you probably think that I am judging you for being overweight, when actually, I'm rooting for you, secretly, and hoping you'll get hooked on going to the gym, as I somehow managed to do. At least for a few seconds, because, damn, I've got my own workout to worry about & I am pretty focused on it, rather than anyone else. I'm not there for the sightseeing. ;-)

So think about that.

Last edited by saef; 04-15-2010 at 11:01 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #5  
On my way

S/C/G: 262/210/159

Height: 5'2"

Well do not let a little anxiety stop you from joining up! Not everyone is staring at you, and most likely they don't even notice you. You will not be the largest person there, and most ppl at the gym are there to get in shape...not because they already are! And you can do whatever you want at the gym...If all you want to do is lift weights...only lift weights. Who cares?
mescelestus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #6  

Thanks Girls I appreciate this!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
They're thinking about themselves, mostly, whether they can last to the end of the duration they so ambitiously set on the machine, whether they're doing it right, whether the little pain in the calf is a cramp that'll pass or something that will bother them the next morning, whether they remembered to turn off the coffee pot, what they'll defrost for dinner, etc.

When you appear in their peripheral vision, they see you as just another person in the gym, like they are, & their thoughts move on just a second or two later.

And maybe it's me on the elliptical behind you. (Though probably not, as you're up in Canada & I am down here in the U.S., near Manhattan.) But you can't tell by looking at me -- with my clothes on, anyway -- that I once weighed 257 pounds -- which is more than you, and I'm a good three inches shorter -- and that I was once just like you, embarrassed to be seen in a gym, which I thought was just for people who were already fit. You can't tell that I post on 3FC. So you probably think that I am judging you for being overweight, when actually, I'm rooting for you, secretly, and hoping you'll get hooked on going to the gym, as I somehow managed to do. At least for a few seconds, because, damn, I've got my own workout to worry about & I am pretty focused on it, rather than anyone else. I'm not there for the sightseeing. ;-)

So think about that.
You hit it right on the nose... I've been a gym goer for 20+ years and NO one cares, what you look like, we are all in our own little world...self centered bunch that we are
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #8  

Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym. Please go to the gym.

You will not regret it, rather you'll come back here INCREDIBLY PROUD of yourself, beaming with delight, to share that you listened to all of us and went to the gym. :O)
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 AM   #9  

well i start next month!! Whoo hoo.
Only going to lift weights though. i've got all my cardio stuff at home
Old 04-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciddepths View Post
well i start next month!! Whoo hoo.
Only going to lift weights though. i've got all my cardio stuff at home
Yippeeeee!
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

luciddepths -- for taking the big step!!

BTW I corrected the thread title
Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #12  
I can, I will, I do

S/C/G: Goal: 130

Height: 5'6"

It took me a long time to be able to work out in public.. even just walking around the block because I felt like people were staring at me and laughing. It took a workout buddy pushing me into social situations to actually get me working out without thinking about other people. Go for it girl! As my SO tells me all the time "Reach your goals and show everyone up!" Hope that helps!
Avezy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #13  

Sweet, thanks guys!!! its definitely a mental barrier to step over thats for sure. With the girl i'd be going with she would be perfect, she once weighed EXACTLY what i do... and now she competes in those swimsuit comp's! So she understands its hard

OH THANK YOU@@ haha i felt like a Dweeb i didnt think of the spelling until AFTER haha
Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Every person in the gym inspires me. I don't know which one you are, but if you're in the gym you're inspiring me too.

I was scared to go to school the first day, or to college. I was scared my first day at my job. I'm nervous every time I meet a new person.... so what?

You get over it and get on with it!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciddepths View Post
OH THANK YOU@@ haha i felt like a Dweeb i didnt think of the spelling until AFTER haha
Never feel like a «Dweeb» we all make typing or other errors sometimes