Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 10:36 PM   #1  

Default Another 4 wk.walking challenge PLEASE JOIN!

I'm starting another walking challenge. All you have to do is figure out how many miles you want to walk, ride, etc. in 4 weeks and post your goal. Then every Sun. post your weekly totals. I will tally up a list every Sun. If you don't count your exercise through mileage (i.e. exercise tapes, etc) You can figure out how long it would take for you to walk a mile and count that time to equal one mile. For example if you can walk a mile in 15 min. then every 15 min. of aerobics would count as one mile. If that doesn't make sense maybe someone else who has done the first challenge could explain it better. Just ask. The challenge will be from Mon 7/22- Sun 8/19.

Jacksonmom...goal 50 mi

Semo...goal 50 mi

Karena...goal 80 mi

Happy2bme...goal 25 mi

madtypist...goal 100 mi

Kina...goal 40 mi

Last edited by jacksonmom; 07-25-2002 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-23-2002, 10:41 AM   #2  

I'm in........ this is just what I needed! I've been settin on the fence for about three months now and just can't seem to get myself motivated to exercise again.
I'll make a commitment of 50 miles or equivalent time exercising with tapes. When do we start!
Old 07-23-2002, 12:35 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 241/237/160

Hi all, my goal is 80 miles walking with my faithful pup Biscuit. You'd be amazed how owning a dog affects your walking! Even on 90 degree days I don't feel like it because of the heat, I still go 1-2 miles to get him some exercise so he doesn't destroy the house. He's a one year old jack russell that I CANNOT wear out, no matter how long I walk, although the heat and humidity does take some out of him.

It also helps that my 6 year daughter now likes to join me on her bicycle. When she walked with me, she dallied so much I couldn't stand taking her along, but now that she's mastered two wheels, I can't keep up with her.

I love this thread and hope we can all motivate each other.
Old 07-23-2002, 05:47 PM   #4  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Jacksonmom -
You bet we need this thread. Thanks for starting it! My goal will be 25 miles in by 8/19. It's more than I'm doing now and includes a week of vacation right before the challenge ends.

Happy2bme - goal 25 miles
Old 07-23-2002, 10:07 PM   #5  

I added all of you to the list.

Semo we started on Mon. so you can start your mileage from there. If you haven't started yet there is still PLENTY of time!

All everyone has to do is at least post your weekly totals by Sun. I'm so glad all of you joined. Our last challenge was very successful. TTYL
Old 07-24-2002, 09:31 AM   #6  

Good Morning All. Off to a good start already, I did two miles this morning on my exercise machine before work. Up until about six months ago I was so faithful exercising and then I skipped a week then that became two and well you get the idea. Now I'm not only lazy, but have put about 15 pounds back on. YUCK! Well today is a new day and so I begin with dropping all that happen yesterday and looking forward from this point.
Not much time for posting as I work full time but will check in when time permits. Hope you have a great day.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:49 PM   #7  
Pending Email Confirmation

S/C/G: 241/237/160

Semo, I know exactly where you're coming from. I lost over 50 pounds two years ago and exercised every day. Then I gave myself a day's "vacation", which turned into two, three - you get the picture. I ended up gaining back the 50 and then some! I just got serious in March and have lost 30. I learned my lesson and know that this time its for life! Not just to get in bikini by next summer.

Anyway I'm sneaking online at work, so I better run.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:50 PM   #8  

Hi

I will up my goal to 100 miles this time and see what I can do this month. I have been out riding my bike every night this week so far....

Have a great week ladies..

Thanks for doing the posting Jacksonmom.

Suzanne
Old 07-25-2002, 12:37 AM   #9  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Hi everyone. I found you all. It took a while but I found you. Well count me in for 25 Jacksonmom. The kids are back in school and I won't be getting as much exercise. I will start working soon along with my own college courses. You know what that is a bad excuse to not get in much exercise put me down for 40. I think I can do it.

On the other hand does anyone know how many steps does it take to do 2 miles? I have a stepper now and I can't do as much as I usually do around the track. The stepper has tension which makes it hard to go as long. But I wanted to convert my steps into the equal amount of mileage. So if anyone could help me out in converting that I would greatly appreciate it.

Well good luck. Take care. Corina
Old 07-25-2002, 01:07 AM   #10  
Choose your hard

Good heavens 100 miles! Gee I sure do feel like a weenie with my 25 mile pledge. But I do other cardio and strength training as part of my program and I don't want to compromise that. But you have motivated me to try and beat that goal - I've already done 3 days this week where without this challenge I might have only done 1 so far.

Corina in answer to your question I did a little hunting on the Internet. As far as walking goes - 10,000 steps is about 5 miles - 2,000 steps would be a mile. But that's walking and you cover more distance as you take a step. If you really wanted to get precise and geeky, measure the stride on your stepper. There's 5,280 feet in a mile. If one stride/step covers 1 foot, you'd have to do 5,280 steps to cover a mile. It's way too late now for me to find the measuring tape and check my stepper but that would be my suggestion.
Old 07-25-2002, 10:11 AM   #11  

Just popping in to say hello. Two days exercising, think I'm on a roll!!!

Happy2Bme: I've been lurking on your Pilates thread, I have the Winsor tapes and have been trying to learn. At 52 years of age..It Aint Easy. I live in a rural area so there aren't instructors around so I'm going strickly by videos.

KarenA: I've realized the hard fact too, that If I don't exercise I can not maintain a weight loss or now get back to where I was. Exercise is just like a lot of other things....you just have to do it. Sort of like brushing your teeth, I don't really enjoy it but I do it.

What other types of exercise/diets are you guys doing?

Better run before the boss comes thru my office.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:01 PM   #12  

Welcome madtypist and Kina. I was beginning to wonder if anyone from the first challenge was coming back. Kina I'm sure you'll do the 40 mi. You hit your goal last time in 3 wks. I have no idea about the stepper. I do know that those steppers are a KILLER! I don't think I would last very long on one. Glad to see everyone is doing so well with there exercising. I have not done well but I have couple of days to make up so I better get busy. TTYL
Old 07-25-2002, 11:43 PM   #13  
Choose your hard

Hi All,
Semo I am 48 so I know what you mean about things being tougher this time around, but I'm trying more than I did when I was younger. At least I don't take things for granted anymore.

For my exercise routine on cardio I combine treadmill, swimming, and the Lifecycle - might even dust the old stepper off again. For strength training I use free weights, a flex ball and a stretchy band. I also started working with a personal trainer for 1 hour a week. He is the most awesome person, heaven sent. He's a great guy who stresses fit over buff - buff will come in time he says. After I'm done I can barely turn the steering wheel in the car but I love it because he pushes me more than what I'd do myself. Each week I learn new techniques to keep variety and interest. This week we did boxing for the cardio portion - talk about a work out. I have seen a definite improvement in strength, stamina and a tighter body.

For food I opted not to go the WW route this time, instead chose an "eat for your body type" kind of program. It's similar to the Body for Life and God's Diet programs - very restricted on fats, sugar, salt, dairy and simple carbs. Very little if any processed foods - most everything I eat is fresh and prepared at home where I can control the portions and seasonings. I've lost 15 pounds so far and am happy with it. My body really resists giving up the blubber.

If lard melts in the sun, why doesn't body fat? Have a good week all...
Old 07-27-2002, 11:18 AM   #14  
Squishy mom, not 4 long!

Jacksonmom, I am not getting in as much exercise as I had in the past. But I am going to work at it. Wow there are alot of new people on the thread. That is great. Well I have to say this thread is a great way to help maintain your exercise routine. Which will then in turn help you to lose weight. I know that is exactly what it has done for me. I will report in tomorrow. Bye. kina
Old 07-27-2002, 10:20 PM   #15  

Hi Everyone:

Just got back from a bike ride, I say the same thing that Semo said that exercising becomes a habit like brushing your teeth. I can put in a lot more miles riding my bike than I can by walking. I walk in the winter and usually ride my bike from April - November, or until the roads are covered in snow.
don;t even want to think of the snow.. ugh......

I have made bike riding a habit, and I don't feel good unless I go for my ride. I also watch what I eat everyday, I follow WW when I get out of control... it is a lot easier to get out and exercise in the summer than in the colder weather.

So far this week my total is 34 miles. Have a great week ladies........

Suzanne
Closed Thread