Please suggest a WII Fit Plus Work out routine

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • We just got the WII system so I don't know much about it. We have WII Fit Plus and I'd love suggestions for a work out routine.

I looked at all of the options and it was pretty confusing. I'd say I am looking for 30 mins that I can do in the AM before work.

Thank you!
  • I don't have Wii Fit Plus (so much money!) but I do have My Fitness Coach and I recommend picking it up if you have a Wii! It's only $20 new--and probably less if you look for it used on Ebay. Although it doesn't use the balance board. My Fitness Coach works more like a work out video, except it changes up the routines for you, increases difficulty as you see fit, and allows you to choose what you want to work on (upper body, lower body, core, yoga, flexibility, or cardio).

I absolutely love it. I hate work out videos because they get so boring and predictable. But My Fitness Couch changes things up enough to keep me coming back.

They just released My Fitness Coach 2, which does use the balance board, though I haven't tried it myself, so I couldn't say how good it is. But if it's anything like the original, I'd say you should pick it up!
  • It is expensive but there are 5 of us and it was this or the YMCA and that would have been more in just a few months. Plus, I don't know that I would get to the Y after work, easy to not go.

Thanks for the suggestion. The thing came with Jillian Michaels but it shows your weight and you can't lock it so my daughters won't play it. That little balance board weighs you every time you step on it!!
  • I suggest trying EA Sports Active. They have pre-design workouts and a 30 day challenge. The routines vary from day to day so you don't get bored. There are cardio, upper body, legs etc... It shows you how many calories you've worked off too.

Also, it doesn't weigh you every day so your daughter doesn't have to worry. =)

Wii Fit Plus is ok but I find that it doesn't get my heart rate up and I barely sweat. But I do use it everyday for an accurate measurement of my weight.
  • I definitely recomment picking up EA Active as well. I look forward to the workouts every day. I'm currently doing the 30 day challenge, and the workouts are varied each day so that it never gets repetitive and boring...and I always work up a good heart rate and a decent sweat.
  • I was just on the fit plus for 90 mins and no sweat. it said i burned 250 calories but i don't see how. I'll get EA this afternoon. Thanks
  • EA Active the new one (More Workouts) is the way to go if you want to sweat. Wii fit is better for the yoga, and just moving somewhat instead of vegging out.

Other than the hula hoop, bicycling and running are the only things that seems to strain me
  • Wii Fit exercises are great for people beginning to exercise or who want quick things they can fit into their day. After a while of doing the exercises, I really only found Super Hula Hoop, Free Step, and Running to be exercises that really felt effective and like I was breaking a sweat and getting my heart rate up. I have only had a brief chance to play Wii Fit Plus over Christmas, and I think the Bicycle one and Obstacle Course are keepers as well.

I would suggest Advanced Step or Basic Step, Bicycle, Super Hula Hoop or Hula Hoop, and Running for the Aerobics, then throw in a few Strength and Yoga exercises that target the areas you're looking to improve. I would probably finish off the routine with one the Balance Games or more "fun" exercises, as a kind of reward for getting through the routine and to finish off on a high note.

Sometimes I'll still do Free Step for half an hour at a time. I put it to the highest speed, and it's handy because you can watch TV or a movie at the same time (you'd probably get bored watching your Mii stepping on and off the board for half an hour).

If you're looking for something a bit more challenging, I would suggest Jillian Michael's Fitness Ultimatum 2010. There are about 20 different exercises, 6 pre-set routines and the option to make 6 of your own, plus a Resolution Option where you can set your own longterm series of routines or select the premade options, and the resolutions can last anywhere from a month to 6 months.

I'm doing a 2 month resolution now. Wednesdays and Sundays my resolution involves doing the Total Body 1 routine and push-ups, and on Fridays I have to do Lower Body routine, squat jacks, and hip twists. The Friday routine kicks. my. butt. But I'm really getting a full, challenging, sweaty workout from it, which is more than I get from the Wii Fit. Plus the sound bytes from Jillian aren't the kind of coddling stuff you hear from the Wii Fit trainers. I need to be pushed, and with sound bytes like "You came to me, I didn't come to you! Come on!", this game delivers.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
  • I have the Fit, THe Biggest Loser game, and Gold's Gym boxing. The latter two are the ones that make me sweat, but I use the Fit to weigh in and do some random fun stuff (I really like the Rhythm Boxing and the Rhythm parade), plus I do 30 minutes of step while watching TV every day.
  • When I used the Wii Fit (I don't have the fit plus) for my main exercise, I used the running feature most and then I would hook up the fit to a tiny TV we have and do the stepper while watching tv and it's a good way to move aimlessly! lol
  • Quote: I have the Fit, THe Biggest Loser game, and Gold's Gym boxing. The latter two are the ones that make me sweat, but I use the Fit to weigh in and do some random fun stuff (I really like the Rhythm Boxing and the Rhythm parade), plus I do 30 minutes of step while watching TV every day.
    How is the biggest loser game? I was really thinking about picking it up. And you're right, the rythym boxing is really GREAT!
  • Thanks for the great advice! I really appreciate it.

One question, how are you watching tv while doing WII?
  • As far as I know, Free Step is the only game you can do it with. I'm not sure if you've been playing Wii Fit long enough to unlock it, but once you have it, you just begin your session, and then you're free to change input on your TV to watch a show or a movie.

The Wii and balance board stay on the whole time. The speaker in the WiiMote acts as a metronome to keep you in rhythm, and keeps you updated on how much longer you have to go ("You're doing great! Ten more minutes!"). Once you finish the workout, you can change input back to Wii and see your results.

If you've unlocked Free Step, there are onscreen instructions for changing to TV or DVD each time you choose it. If you haven't unlocked Free Step yet, you'll need to do Basic Step until you unlock Advanced Step, and then Advanced Step until you unlock Free Step. I don't remember how many times I did Advanced before I unlocked Free, but I don't remember it taking too long.

Hope this helps!
  • The biggest loser is good, but it isn't much of a game, more of a workout DVD with extra features and the ability to tell if you're doing the workout well. I don't use all of the features because I track my food elsewhere, but the scheduled workouts do a great job of guilting me into working out harder than I would sometimes. It's nice to have each workout similar, but changed up, and it seems to be right on target for me as the days progress. I end up dripping with sweat at the end of the workout, but it's not beyond my capability but JUST pushes me out of my comfort zone enough that I can acheive it and be proud but don't want to quit. We'll see if that stands up in as I get fitter, but I think it will for a while because I'm still on a pretty low level and it's increasing each week.

Free step is the only one you can watch tv during. Also, this is kind of a bizarre tip, but I was having a hard time hearing the Wii remote when I had it in my hand and was watching TV unless I had the volume down. I found that if I stick the remote in between my boobs while I step, I can hear it perfectly and still hear the tv.
  • I do the free step too. Thanks Rachael, I will have to try the boob trick. I have problems hearing it too and get off rhythm when I'm watching tv. I am currently using EA Sports Active, but I just started the 30 day challenge 3 days ago. So far I like it but the squats kicked my butt. Literally. On Wii fit plus, I like doing the advanced step as well, it's kind of fun. I also like the hula hoop and the balance games. I am trying to work on the yoga, but I think I just might take a class at the Y because I can't tell if I am doing some of them correctly.