Half Marathon

• Anyone training or any races this year? I could use some advice! I trained for a 10K last year, did just fine, but this year i'm working up to the half marathon.

I'm currently up to 4.5 miles, upping my miles .5 miles a week. Anyone have any training programs they've been doing, or any tips at all? Thanks!
  • I started doing the smart coach on runner's world, but never went thru it. I'm not crazy about it, because it was hard to follow with my schedule (full time work with 2 young children!). I would definately recommend trying visiting it though.

Personally, I'm hoping to do a half marathon this year as well. I'm just planning on upping a mile every couple weeks and doing strength exercises. I'll occasionally on my busy days doing more of a speed thing, but I could care less how fast I am too!

WHich one are you going to in May? I considered the Illinois Marathon, since it will be flat, and I went to school there .

Good luck!!
  • I think Hal Higdon's plans are fairly solid.
  • Garstar - I second the halhigdon.com web site recommendation; also check out jeffgalloway.com and runnersworld.com for additional beginner training schedules.

Increasing your mileage gradually is important, as you are doing. The key to distance running is the once weekly "long run" which gradually builds your endurance to handle the longer distances. If you can find some friends, or a training group, to run with, the long runs seem to go much faster!

I also believe that is very important to not JUST run, but also incorporate a balanced cross-training program of strength training, core training and stretching. All of that together will help you stay strong and injury-free.

I do 4 or 5 half marathons a year and it's probably my favorite race distance! It's long enough to be a challenge, is usually a fairly large "event" with all of the neat stuff that goes along with the big events, and you typically get a cool finisher's medal. Call me shallow, but I really like getting those shiny medals!