Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default Strength training routine ??

I'm in my 4th week on C25K. I want to start strength training but have no idea on what routine I should do when it comes to ST. Reps and sets. I don't want to bulk up, I just want to tone up.
I don't go to a gym, with my little ones I can't do that but we do plan on buying a bench. So I can use that along with some dumb bells.
I tried looking for books online but they all tend to involve gym equipment. Could someone creat a routine for me or suggest a book that would best suit my needs, as just working out at home. Or give me an example of a routine they use. From there I can figure what weight my dumb bells should be.
thank you.
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The New Rules of Lifting for Women doesn't require gym equipment but it may require some purchases.

I'd highly recommend reading over www.stumptuous.com. I believe there is a section that says "no weights? no problem!"

Oh here it is:
http://www.stumptuous.com/no-weights-no-problem

And here is another workout section called "All dumbbells! All the time!"
http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

Last edited by nelie; 07-11-2009 at 10:17 AM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 137/132/122

Height: 5' 3"

I found this routine on the Prevention magazine web site:

http://www.prevention.com/cda/articl...eight.training

If you click on "print" at the top, you can see the whole thing without having to page through it.

Prevention has had a number of good routines over the past few months that can be done at home with dumbbells and sometimes a stability ball. If you have access to a public library that gets the magazine, you could check out past issues.
CatR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #4  

Height: 5'8"

I have always had really good luck with Joyce Vedral.

I can't post real links yet, but her URL is her name with a .com after it.

I used her "Toning for Teens" book and my mom used one of her books for adults. You will be sore in the beginning, I promise. She uses mostly free weights and dumbbells (are those the same thing?) but will usually include an alternative if you have a machine.

She promises results quick, too quick if you ask me, but I can tell you from experience that her plan does work. Even if it does kill you in the beginning.
aphrodite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:32 AM   #5  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I like Joyce Vedrals' books also. Her videos are a little too fast for me though.
If you like videos, check out Jari Love (I like Slim and Lean) or Gilad's Quick Fit videos ( you can preview video clips at collagevideo.com). Oh, and Jillian Michaels , too.
I checked out a book at the library once that was a basic dumbbell book.
I think it was called "Smart Girls Do Dumbbells"-or something like that.
Your local library is a good place to start. They might even have some videos that you can check out.

Good luck

Last edited by ddc; 07-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

I have been experimenting with routines for a very long time. I do long routines when I have the time. But I mostly do a very thorough routine I can accomplish in 30 min or less. I cycle through the exercises fairly quickly. Since my time is so valuable.

Whatever you find, I recommend in the beginning, don't worry about so many reps. Do ALL of the exercises until exhaustion. If you are doing one, and it just hurts and you are supposed to do more reps--just move on to the next. Don't sacrifice form for the sake of reps! It is much more important to work out all of your muscles in the beginning.

I have folders of routines I have clipped out of magazines through the years. I love Prevention magazine. They have some of the best routines. I took some moves off of various exercise tapes. And various magazines. Find what works best for you too!

You first need some handweights. Get a set of 2lbs and 5 lbs. Start off with the 2lbs and work your way up to the 5 lbs. Tubing offers more gym type exercises and enjoy doing those type of workouts occasionally. I also recommend a body ball. They are just fun and work your core. Get the kind that comes with tubing! There will be an exercise pamphlet in there.

I hope you enjoy it. You get so many endorphins from strength training and the toning of your physique just adds to that!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #7  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

I found this video that sees to be a good exerise to work alot of muscles:
http://www.diet.com/videos/play/no-1...rning-exercise

All you need are some dumbbells. I'm not sure what poundage she's using, but it seems a little heavy for her to me (shaky control).
I personally do not use over 5 lbs each hand.

I wanted to add, if you go to the library, the Biggest Loser books have workouts with reps and sets laid out that are easy to follow.

Basically you want to hit all the muscle groups:
Glutes
Quads
Hamstrings
Calves
Abs
Pecs
Back
Shoulders
Biceps
Triceps

Did I forget anything?
Best wishes
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

ddc - That video is pretty good and I'd agree, the weight is probably a bit too heavy for her.

One thing I'd also say is look at doing compound exercises (like the video ddc provided). Pushups are a great compound exercise as are squats. Pullups (or modified pullups) are also a great exercise. I do modified pullups at home using a bar at chest level, putting my feet out in front of me then hanging down and pulling myself up to the bar. My feet never leave the ground. I know others have figured other ways to do modified pullups but they are one of my favorite exercises.

I'd generally recommend to shy away from single isolation exercises such as bicep curls, tricep extensions, etc. Although bicep curls with lunges aren't bad as you are doing 2 exercises at once.

Also, if you are looking to expand your dumbbells, I'd definitely try some various exercises with them first. I've never done exercises with 2 lb dumbbells and never understood why they were made until I had a friend who really had no muscle and had trouble with even 2-3 lb dumbbells. I have various dumbbells up to 20 lbs. I stopped at 20 because I decided to go with kettlebells which I love and also highly recommend.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

Wow! i actually like that one. I normally scoff at titles like that.

Thanks for sharing.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 212/199/145

Default Jari Love Strength Training Videos

I enjoy using Jari Love's strength training videos. Modifications for advance and not so advance are provided. She can sometimes be a bit annoying, but the workouts are really good. They are typically an hour. She has a newer DVD that is two 30 minute sessions. She is a bit more playful, not as enjoyable-in my opinion, but the workout is good.
tjdayle2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

I love Cathe Friedrich's dvds for weight training. She has a lot of dvds, some focus on endurance type of strength training, and some are for muscle building. Her circuit workouts are really good too.
Here's a link to her dvds. If you click on the workouts you can watch a clip from them.

http://http://www.shopcathe.com/workout_dvd_s/1.htm

Another good place to watch clips from workouts dvds is http://www.collagevideo.com
Narnia99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

I also really like the body rock website it's just "bodyrock dot tv".
Everything is free and she posts daily video workouts and does everything from home with minimal equipment, mostly just bands or a curl bar.
Running across her videos on youtube actually inspired me to start my weightloss plan!
Some of her daily workouts look pretty intense and are mostly cardio, look for the "40 minute workout" that is more weight training.

Last edited by Sarby; 01-10-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 375/187/167

A couple of exercises my trainer has me currently doing as part of strength training you could do at home. One is to climb 3 flights of stairs taking it two stairs at a time and not holding on to the handrail (im expecting tomorrow nite she will increase this to 4 flights) also pushups...against a wall or i do it at home on my stair case so i am doing them on a angle...i do them with a close grip and a wide grip.

kazz =]
kkazz123 is offline   Reply With Quote