Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184.8/179.8/120

Height: 5'3"

Default something is wrong, but is it my shoes, or my weight?

I have been overweight before, and been able to get on the treadmill and back up to speed in no time, but this time around something is different.

in some Saucony gym shoes that I've never really worked out in, my calves/shins and tops and arches of my feet hurt. My calves feel like they're going to explode they're so tight, and I need to get off the treadmill and stretch every 5 minutes.

I bought some asics running shoes and the problem seems better, but the tops of my feet seem tight and almost numb like, and another pair of avia are causing troubles too.

Is it the extra 30 pounds I've put on this year, or is it the lack of exercise? could it be the wrong shoe still? I just feel like I'm getting nowhere while exercising on the TM, because i can't go faster than a 3.5 without needing to stop to stretch. I don't want to even bother with the treadmill if this keeps happening.

I am going to try some cycle classes, but it's winter here, and they are only offered 3 times a week at a gym that's 20 minutes away. not ideal for winter driving in the midwest. I need an alternative.

anyone have this problem? thanks!
luckydogcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

It might be that the shoes aren't right for your feet. Did you go to a running store and get fitted?

You may also need to work on your flexibility as well because I had issues when running do to my flexibility but the right shoes really helped a lot.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #3  

well, honestly I have not done that this time. But, a few summers ago, when I only had about 20 pounds to lose, I did get fitted at a running place. The shoes were so expensive though, that I ended up going to Kohl's and getting some cheaper ones that worked just fine. Those shoes just wore out before Thanksgiving, and I bought new ones, the saucony, but never got back into exercising with them enough to really know for sure if they were good. They were a little bigger than I normally buy but felt good in the store, and when walking casually around a track.

i've gained 30 pounds since last year and know I"m very swollen, so I'm hoping it has something to do with that.

These asics seem better, but are fairly tight across the top of the foot. I keep trying to adjust them, but haven't quite found the right fit yet.

I don't really even run, just a medium to fast walking pace, but I signed up for a 5k (my first ever) and would like to work up to running.

I've just never had this problem before, and it is throwing me off.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #4  
Just Me

Even if you just walk, I'd really recommend it. I don't know how much you expect to spend for shoes but I've bought 2 pairs at a running store so far and I'll probably order a replacement soon as it is about that time but I can order it online. The first pair cost me $80 and the second pair cost me $25. Even $100 wouldn't seem too much for a good pair of shoes because they are truly to support you so that you don't have other issues as a result (knee, back issues).
Old 01-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #5  

the pair the running place fitted me with were $130. The pair I ended up buying at Kohl's that lasted me 2 years, were $40. So, I'm not sure if it's justifiable or not.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #6  
Just Me

Well I'd admit I'd have a hard time spending $130 but you might want to try a different running store. You could even just remember the brand/size and check online for a cheaper place to buy the shoe. When I went and got fitted, there were 3 pairs that fit me well and I bought the pair for $80, a couple months later the store had a sale on a pair that were a second choice for me so I bought those for $25. Now I may go back to the running store and get fitted again but I think I liked the first pair especially so I'll check online to see if I can find it cheaper.

If you spend $40 on a shoe that doesn't work for you, it doesn't seem like much of a bargain.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I've been nearly crippled by the wrong shoes. And not even always the shoes you work out in.

I had a pair of Nike shoes that I didnt wear for exercise, just for going to work and house cleaning and stuff and I kept having extreme foot pain when I ran (in shoes that were right ). One day I steam cleaned all the carpets in the house I was trying to sell - took about 6 hours. Later that day I stepped funny getting off a ladder and I thought my foot was broken it hurt so badly. Was sure I was toast.

Anyway long story short, I finally figured out that the Nike's caused my foot pain and as soon as I got rid of them I no longer had foot pain when running. Even though I never wore the Nike's running.

The running shoes and walking shoes sold at places like Kohls are often cheaper versions that do not have the support of the version found in the running store. If you dont like the price in the running store still know what it is you need and what works for you and as the model clears out you can get super bargains online (runningwarehouse, zappos, runningshoes etc. )
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #8  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I would consider running shoes for $80 very decently priced. Here, in Canada, you cannot get anything in a running store for less than $120. But, I learned the hard way and I completely agree with Nelie. If the cheap shoes contribute to you foot pain they are not a bargain.
My personal advice would be to go get asap and and get tested. You need to know if you are pronate or supinate and get the shoes that will correct that.
Otherwise, are you sure you are giving yourself enough time to get used to treadmill again? You should get off the TM for a few days and just heavy stretching (after a good warm up). Give your feet / calves a chance to recover.
Good luck!
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I second the idea of getting fitted at the running store and then looking for that shoe cheaper elsewhere. I looked up my shoes online and they were cheaper than what I paid in the running store. But the way I see it I was paying for a service and giving the commission to a saleswoman who had been very helpful to me (plus I didn't have to pay S&H). $130 is pretty high though. Maybe tell them you have a price cap when you go in? My shoes were $100. I've only had 4 runs in them so far, but they've been great.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I usually buy 1 pair at the store to pay for the time and fitting (I'll try on 6-10 pairs and go for a run in each) after that I buy online. But I go through a LOT of shoes
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #11  

true. and I did just spend $100 on asics at Kohl's....so obviously getting help personally will be worth any extra if it means they'll not hurt my feet.

i'm so not a runner, never have been able to work up to run more than six tenths of a mile at a time, but maybe with the right shoes?

i did email a personal trainer who thinks it's my additional weight though. any suggestions or personal experience with that? maybe it's not the shoes?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #12  
Just Me

Considering I'm about 40 lbs heavier than you and I've run for at least 3 miles and ran for shorter distances without the issues you are describing, I would not automatically point to the weight. I've also known other girls on this site who weigh over 200 lbs and have run and have run regularly. I have heard though issues like yours being caused by improper shoes so I'd suspect the shoes first and foremost. If you had the right shoes, I'd ask you about flexibility and/or muscular/skeletal issues.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:32 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Definitely a possibility, especially if you haven't been as active during/since your gain. Just start slow, if it hurts to walk at 3.5 try 3.3 for a while and move up slowly. It can be hard to accept that your body doesn't do what it did the last time you worked out. I had to face that at the beginning of my weight loss journey as well. I had always been relatively fit for my size, and suddenly I realized I wasn't anymore. It sucked, but I've come a long way since then and now I'm more fit at 240 lbs than I can recall ever being at ANY weight.

Oh, and if you're not interested in running, no biggie but running stores are still a great place to get fitted. And if you are interested in running I recommend Couch to 5K. I'm on week 3 and it's been awesome so far. I never thought I'd be a runner at any weight!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 PM   #14  

great feedback! i will definitely check out the couch to 5 k thing.

I suspect it may be a bit of both. I have gained a lot in a very short amount of time, and definitely am having other health issues because of it (heart palps, arms fall asleep at night, swelling etc) that I know is from what I'm eating and also lack of water. I'm changing my food to fix that, but thought I could just jump back into treadmill work like I always have and only take a week or two to get going. I think my shoes are slowing me down, but the weight is causing issues too.

I'll get some good fitting shoes, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll just assume that my body is telling me to slow down and go slow. I'll try to add other, non weight bearing, exercises in to compensate.

Thanks so much for the awesome info!