has anyone tried hula hooping for excersize?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have heard that hula hooping is a way to work the midsection. sounds intruiging, but has anyone tried it?
  • No I haven't, but I saw it on a Wii fit program...it actually looked fun... you didn't have a hoola hoop...you just pretended. That would be great 4 me... cuz I think I would spend more time bending over and picking up the hoop, but then that is good too!
  • ive seen some women that look very cool doing hula hooping. a few of the reviews i've seen said that the hoop is different from the childs toy hoop and is a little easier, which sounds promising because i too would spend time picking the hoop up off the ground. i'm looking for all of the info i can find (without it ending in a sales pitch) before shelling out money.
  • My stylist told me she took up hula hooping. She started at 15min {one half clockwise the other counter-clock wise} and worked her way up to 30 min {15 each way} I don't know how often she did it, however she told me she lost a inch on her waist. She's proabably a size 8-10 to begin with.

Hope that helps
  • i do it on the wii fit plus.. Lets just say it looks easy and not hard to do but after i do it for 10 min i can feel the burn in my thighs.. i love it.. but i can only do 10 min then i gotta rest awhile before i do more of it..
  • I made myself an 'adult hoop.' I haven't done it consistently for exercise. I just grab it from time to time and have fun. I'd like to work with it more, when the weather permits, and learn some fun moves. You can't target zones to lose weight, but you definitely can tone up your stomach/core muscles by hooping. I can really feel it working things.

I have a 'kid's hula hoop' as well. I have many friends that have tried the kid's then the adult and the difference is amazing. They go from it instantly falling to being able to at least hoop a little with no practice.

The only cost is buying materials to make your own hoop, or to buy one from online. You can find free instructional videos online that teach moves/tricks if you want to go beyond just going around your waist. There are a few out there that can be bought, but I haven't found the need to yet.

The hoops do weight a few lbs. I have no clue how much, but when I first start I do get some small bruises on my waist/hips. Then my body gets used to it. This is a great tutorial that I used for making your own hoop. It's a great project to grab a friend or two and make them together. I love being able to decorate my hoop to match my personality.

If anyone has questions feel free to ask.
  • I also do it on the wii fit plus. It's kind of fun, my 2 year old stands next to me and shakes her little butt. I didn't think it would be exercise, but I work up a sweat if I do it a couple times.
  • I did it for a month. I did lose an inch off my waist. I Just fell back into not exercising. Need to get started back. My hoop is a 3 Lb. weighted hoop. It will make you sore the first few days, but if you'll just stay with it the soreness will quickly go away.
  • I hula hoop. You definately need an adult hoop - they are weighted so they actually stay up and provide an excellent butt, hip, inner & outer thigh and torso workout!

Wii fit hooping is fun and provides a good cardio workout, but the weighted hoop makes it soooo much better!

I never could, and still can't keep a "grocery store" hoop up, but the wieghted adult ones are awesome!
  • I just ordered a 2 lb weighted hoop and can't wait for it to get here! I figure it might be a little difficult at first but plan on doing it in 10 -15 min increments while watching my soap opera or tv at night instead of just sitting there.
    It looks like more fun than doing crunches...lol
  • I was never even able to hula hoop when I was a kid... lol hmm wonder if I could do it now? It sounds like fun and thinking about the motions you have togo through I could deffenitely see how its a great workout
  • I was hula hooping a bit ago and was aiming for 30 plus minutes a day. After 2-3 weeks with no change I gave up.
  • I haven't been on these forums since the hula hoop took over in June. I feel I should give a bit of an update. It's the only exercise I really get besides going out and dancing a little once a week.

Now a days it's very common for me to crank up the music and play with my hoop for an hour+. There is so much more that can be done besides just the waist. It moves all over my body. People that see me are usually in awe that I actually dance with it. My entire body gets into it so I get a full body work out. It's mostly cardio, but I've gained muscle places I didn't expect. My arms and calves now have visible muscle like I've never had in my life! On top of that my abs are getting very firm. I still have the squishy fat on the outer layer, but I'm amazed at how much the layer underneath has tightened up. I'm not the kind of girl that can visible see the difference of 15 pounds, so I didn't notice anything until multiple guy friends started commenting that I was losing weight and toning up.

I'm not saying this could happen for everyone. I actually dislike viewing the hoop as a tool to keep me in shape. To me it's just a hobby. I'm horrible about keeping an exercise routine. The reason it's worked for me is that I hoop so much because it's fun. I see it as playing. The moment it starts to feel like work I will lose interest. If I just hooped for 5 minutes every few days I doubt I'd see any difference.
  • I was hula hooping a bit ago and was aiming for 30 plus minutes a day. After 2-3 weeks I have found a lot of change in my body. I really enjoy playing with hula hoops and at a same I can also do workout exercise. If your beginner and want to learn more about hula hoops techniques please visit website "hoopgirl"
  • Yes, I have tried it. Doing hula hoop exercise is said to stimulate the inner muscles in your waist training areas untouchable by conventional deliberate exercise such as running and step climbing.Training the inner muscle around your waist can boost your metabolism helping you burn more fat exercising. Yet, that's it! Hula hooping is great for burning fat giving you what you need to stay on top of the fat game. In addition to the fat burning you will be doing while training your inner muscle hula hooping is said to be great for getting rid of constipation. So be sure to give it a try the next time you feel constipated. You would be surprised how effective it is actually. To learn more hula hooping techniques please visit : hoopgirl.com

Quote: I have heard that hula hooping is a way to work the midsection. sounds intruiging, but has anyone tried it?