Walking with your dog: thoughts, anyone?

• Hi, I'm new here, and loving these boards!

I have a question that seemed to best fit in over here.

I've started walking for exercise, because...well...because it only requires me and a pair of shoes, (and my mp3 player, because I do almost nothing without music ) and I can do it at work or at home, wherever I can fit it in.

I've started noticing, though, that my Boston Terrier, Berklee (no, that's not her in my avatar, she's way cuter! ) seems to want to be going out with me. She's not a puppy anymore. She's almost 3 years old, and even though she doesn't have a weight problem at all, I think a little walk time with Mama probably wouldn't hurt her. I'm just a little concerned because she's a bracycephalic breed (in English, that means she has a short nose), and I've heard that they typically don't do so well on brisk walks. She loves to fetch and run and play, but she does get a bit wheezy when she's over-exerted. However, I don't expect to be moving fast enough to over-exert her for quite some time yet!

Has anyone else used their canine buddy as a fitness companion? Is there anything I should be aware of just starting out? Or is this just a really bad idea for a short little dog with a short little nose? Should I borrow my parents' black lab instead?

Any input is greatly appreciated!!
  • Why not split your walks in two? Half for a little doggy time and half for mom?

I've got two very active golden retrievers who would be seriously ticked off if I went for a walk without them.
  • I have the same problem. My dogs have little legs and cannot walk as much sa I can and keep up. The boy dog loves it and will push himself but I don't let him. I usually take shorter walks with him and longer ones alone.

I was thinking about getting a baby pouch and carrying him part of the way. He is about 8 lbs so it is not too bad.

The girl dog is lazy and I HATES the walks. I take her but it is no fun. She keeps her head down and her tail down. Totally opposite from the boy.

How much does your dog weigh?
  • I walk 5-10km each day with my Shiba Inu, hauling my preggo belly in the pouring rain in addition to 3-4 days weight training! Of course, he is a high-exercise breed Sorry, I don't have experience with low-exercise breeds. Bring the lab if you want to walk, it is great for both.
  • How much does your dog weigh?[/QUOTE]

She weighs 21 lbs, which is on the low side of normal for a Boston.
  • [QUOTE=sacha;3070569]I walk 5-10km each day with my Shiba Inu, hauling my preggo belly in the pouring rain in addition to 3-4 days weight training!

You are my new hero!!!
  • I walk my dogs about 2-4 nights a week. It does make up a substantial amount of my exercise. The dogs need activity and so do I! My beagle does like to stop and sniff a lot though so sometimes it's a struggle to keep him moving.
  • I think it's a great idea to take your dog with you. I have boxers and the only time I have to take it easy with them is if it is too hot out.
    I've never had a boston terrier but all the ones i've met have been very athletic and seem to have lots of energy.
    If not for the exercise it would still be good for her to get the mental stimulation of being outside seeing new things and smelling new smells
  • I have 2 pugs, which are also brachiocephalic. You do have to watch them getting both overheated and also watch out for too much cold. In the heat of the summer we walk them early morning or late evening.

When I first started, I did consider the walking with my dogs exercise, but now I don't. Walking with them doesn't get my heart rate up now that I'm in better shape and one of them is 9 and can't walk too fast or too far. The younger one has much more stamina and we run him short distances sometimes.
  • Heather, thanks for telling me about the cold! I know Berklee seems to have a bit less stamina when it's hot, but I didn't think about cold at all. Being as we have about 2 feet of snow in our front yard right now, that's a good thing to be thinking about. I think I may just wait a little while until it warms up some and the snow melts, and I'll walk by myself until then.