Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #1  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Default running

One of the goals I have for 2010 is to pick up running but I'm not sure what the best way to go about it is. Right now, I'm pretty out of shape and weigh almost 190. I'm wondering if it would be better if I waited until I lost some weight and got into better shape or should I just start now? And should I just start running on the streets or use the track at first to measure how far I've been running?
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/See Tracker/145

Height: 5'7"

I used the C25K and have steadily built up from there. It's a great program. You can just google it.

I was pretty overweight when I started it (I still am) and had no problems. Just make sure you stretch, warm up and cool down. Good luck!
daisy5819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

We have a great running group in the Running through December thread...changes monthly. I am a walker/very beginner runner and they are very informative, inspiring, knowledgeable and motivating...come join us!

C25K is a great place to start, or any type of interval training walk/jog thing works well
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #4  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

I had the same goal for 2009. I didn't start on it really until mid-October. I did C25K, actually used my iPod to do the intervals (so I could listen to my own music), but there are many choices out there. I'm sure you could do it without a recording, but in the beginning I think it would be really annoying to have to keep track of the time for 1, 3, 5, etc - minute intervals.

I did it on a treadmill 'cause I wanted the consistency - no changes in temperature, no stoplights to stop for, no hills, etc. I will move outside once the weather is nicer now that my endurance is up.

So I am running 30' at a time now; that was my goal. Honestly, it's still challenging, but I'm going to keep at it.

My recommendations for this process, from what I experienced and what was said on 3FC, are:
  1. SLOW DOWN. You can always go faster later and the majority of new runners will NOT be running a 5K in 30 minutes! Just get through the runs.
  2. Repeat a week if you aren't ready to move forward. But you will also often surprise yourself when you attempt what seems impossible.
  3. Have fun! Find some music that pumps you up and enjoy the feeling you have after a run, even if you are not enjoying the actual run.

It's a great goal! See you around the runners threads in 2010
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Another vote for C25K here. I've been moving up very slowly to reduce the risk of injury (I've had knee problems in the past and I'm still really big). I did my first outdoor run on Christmas Day after running on a treadmill for months. Honestly, I felt like a beginner again. Running outside is so different. Take that information how you will. Perhaps you want to run outdoors from the start so that you're body adapts to the variety of inclines and temperaturs from the start, or maybe you want to start indoors because it's easier. If you do want to run/walk outside try mapmyrun.com to find out your distances.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 125kg/121,9kg/99kg

Height: 176cm

C25K or Start to Run as it is called over here is a great way to start.
I even started weeks beforehand because I knew I had to run for 2 minutes during the first meeting and I couldn't do that!
SO I started with one minute of running and then 2 minutes of walking, about 7/8 times. I slowly built it up to the first meeting and I could do 3,5 minutes!
Then the meetings brought me to 20 minutes!
Take it easy! Listen to your body! Make sure you have got good shoes and a good sports bra!
Enjoy!

Marjolein
Marjolein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #7  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Another one here for C25K. I'm in week 5, just about to go into a 20 minute non-stop run (Friday's the day and I'm rarin' to go!). I've already set a goal time for my 5K (on a treadmill) at under 20 minutes, but I'm so far away from that now, I'll just build up to it.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #8  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

Default Just do it.

It was more of a mind over matter dilemma for me. Here are my thoughts.

1. Sure, start on the track, and tell yourself how far you're going to go before you start. And then go that far. No backing out. I started with a mile. If you want to run on the street, use "Gmap Ped" (google it) to find an appropriate loop around your house.

2. Just keep going. Don't try to go fast...don't even time yourself. Some people start running so fast, and then they can't go for 30-60 minutes. Just go around 4x. If you absolutely can't run the whole way, walk, and run again when you can. But seriously, try to push towards the 1 mile. One foot in front of the other. When you feel like stopping, make a deal with yourself. Like "If I finish this lap, I'll reward myself with _______. (magazine, book, running pants, new whatever, but probably not food) Or sometimes I remind myself of all the tacos I ate yesterday, and that I totally have the energy I need to run the distance I'm trying to do.

3. And by run, I mean jog, or bounce along is the way I think of it. It doesn't matter if you're going walking speed. You will improve if you keep at it. Do the mile a few times. Then go for 1.25 miles. Keep building up as much as you want. It's fun to push your distance and see what your body can do. Like I said, I started with a mile, and now I run between 5 and 7 miles a day, and my PR is 13.8.

4. Get good shoes. Go to a running store where they analyze your step and don't be afraid to spend $$. It's better than hurting yourself.

5. Wear running pants. I have spandex pants that I wasn't comfortable with at first because they are tight. But, they prevent the chafing of thighs, which is the worst. If you're uncomfortable running around in tight *** pants, then wear a big shirt over the top. And by running, your body will get into the shape for the pants. I found mine at Target.

6. Sports bra. Get a good fit, not too loose, not too tight. I had some horrible chafing from crappy sports bras.

7. Beware listening to music if you run on the street. I've almost been hit several times, and now I don't use music when I run, but I know it helps with the motivation.

8. Take a friend or a dog. The dog is my best motivator. She wakes me up in the morning to go running. Your can motivate each other if it's a human friend.

9. Brag about it. You've earned it!

p.s. I started running at your weight, and I have to say, my legs look amazing when they never have before, and I feel better than I ever have before, too.
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

great advice in the above post. But I must add, running with a friend/pet is not for everyone. On my last run I went with my dad and sister, and as much as I tried not to, I subconciously was trying to keep up with them (they're both athletic). I had a really hard time regulating my pace to where I needed to be
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #10  
In it to win it.

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 67"

Good point. That's why the dog is great. She wants to go fast, but she listens if I want to slow down. Plus she's on a leash. Can you leash your relatives? My husband and I start at the same point and meet back at the car when we run the bike trails. He's slower than I am, and doesn't like to go as far, and he insists on music when he runs. I'm totally opposite to all of that.
alicat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #11  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for all the advice!! My goal for the beginning of the new year is going to be to pick up running. C25k here I come!!! I'm super excited now!!
zephyr524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:15 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 125kg/121,9kg/99kg

Height: 176cm

Good luck and have fun!
Marjolein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:59 AM   #13  
wanna-be runner and yogi!

S/C/G: 150/140/120

Height: 5'3¾"

Thanks for posting this zephyr, it's what I've been wanting to know too!
Sara J is offline   Reply With Quote