Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 230/227.6/150

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations mothermavis!! That's awesome!

Thanks for posting the 1 hr runner program! I'm definitely going to look into that!

Well I did W6D1 last night and I felt like that was harder for me than the 20 min run. I think I do better when I'm not stopping and starting. W6D2 is Saturday, then the 25 min run is Monday. I am actually looking forward to it!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #122  
nerdy brown princess

S/C/G: 186/166/135

Height: 5'6

Cabin - I also noticed that I did much better when I was running straight, and not pausing in between to walk. I think it might have had something to do with my heart rate going up so high and then going lower so quickly, a few times in a row. I also actually felt that doing W6D1 was harder than W5D3, but it all evens out in the end. Congrats
Old 01-23-2010, 10:21 AM   #123  
so close I can feel it!

S/C/G: 186.6/154/137

Height: 5'5"

I did an extra day of week 3 today outside. I made it completely through without having to stop through any of the 3 minute walks. I'm was still really difficult doing the 3 minutes though. I'm torn on what to do next week though. I'm feeling like I should do another week 3 again since I really struggled. It was definately easier today though! I wonder if that has anything to do with running outside though? More things to see then just the wall or tv when I'm on the TM.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #124  
nerdy brown princess

zeph - I'd suggest you try week 4 day 1 out, and see how it goes from there. If you have difficulty, then you can repeat week 3. I have a feeling that you'll do just fine though!

I personally had to redo week 4, but I did it just to work on my speed. If I had kept going, I would have been fine.

For me, running outside is more difficult because I can't regulate how fast I'm going, so I tend to go faster than I'd like. This is why I prefer jogging on a treadmill. I'm also a little OCD about keeping track of my distance/speed, but that's a different story altogether O_o
Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #125  

zephyr - I repeated week 3 because I didn't feel like I was ready to move on to a 5 min run, but even after the second week I still didn't feel ready. Those 3 min runs just never got any easier for me. So I just made myself move to week 4 and I was able to do the 5 min run. So maybe just try it out and see how it goes. I also run outside. It seems to go by faster for me that way. I don't do well on a treadmill because I get so bored. Plus it's better if I can't see how much time I have left.

Well I'm about to head out to do W6D2 before the rain hits!
Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #126  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

C25K Graduate!! On to the one hour runner on Tuesday!!
Old 01-24-2010, 03:10 PM   #127  
so close I can feel it!

WTG mothermavis!! After finishing this last week I'm really excited to be done with this program. It's a neat feeling already just being able to look back 3 weeks ago and see how far I've come. So exiciting!

I woke up this morning with pretty sore legs. My shins especially hurt though. What should I do to help them feel/get better. I'm thinking it's shin splints. Ice or heat? Should I keep going or take a break until they feel better? Do you know if there are any stretches/exercises I should be doing to help?
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 180/120

Height: 5'2''

Zephyr, I would say rest it for a bit & Google shin splints, for treatment suggestions, everything I found comes back to Rice.

Are your shoes good? By that I mean not old and are they running shoes? I have awful hip and knee pain when my sneakers are not right. I tried running one night around week 7 in old sneakers, thought I would fall down the stairs the next am because I was so lame.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #129  

Zephyr - I second the good shoes suggestion by mothermavis. When I first started this program, my shins and knees were both killing me. After a few weeks, I decided to invest in a good pair of running shoes. The difference is amazing. Of course if you already have a good pair, this doesn't apply to you. I know there are some stretches or exercises out there you could do to help with shin splints.

mothermavis - Congratulations! Keep us updated on how the one hour runner is going. I am thinking of doing that once I am a fellow graduate!
Old 01-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #130  
so close I can feel it!

So, I woke up this morning and my legs/shins felt much better a little stiff and sore yet but nothing to bad. So I figured I'd give week 4 a shot and stop if they got to sore or tight. I made it through the first 3 and 5 minute runs and half way through the other 3 min. one they started hurting so I stopped. I never thought I'd be able to even do as much as I did and if my legs weren't so sore I think I could have finished it out!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 AM   #131  

W6D1, done. Like the others of you who said this one was hard, I agree. I think mine might have been due to too many rest days in between runs....I had a busy weekend and didn't get on the treadmill at all.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #132  
nerdy brown princess

Good job on finishing, mother!

Zeph - definitely get better shoes if you don't have decent running ones. I had to get new shoes around week 3 because my shins were hurting. Haven't had a problem since. I also started taking vitamins around that time, a multiV and a calcium pill. Stretching helps.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:58 PM   #133  

Today was D1W1 for me. At times it felt easy and at others, it was a chore. I have not "jogged" for probably 30 years - high school. I did download the podcast from ullreys and found it helpful. I walk indoors on a rubber track around an indoor ice rink. Not very scenic but Spring will come eventually.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #134  

upnorth - I remember struggling through W1D1 and thinking there is no way I will ever be able to run for 30 minutes. I was barely able to make it all the way through some of those 60 second runs. I have never been a runner, even when I was in shape and a little size 8. But just hang in there, you will surprise yourself again and again. Keep us updated with how it's going! You will find lots of motivation in here!

Well everyone, I finished week 6 tonight. That 25 minute run was TOUGH, but I made it through it. I seriously don't think I could have run for a minute longer. Luckily week 7 doesn't go any longer than a 25 min so I'll have a week to get used to it.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #135  

Default Achilles Tendonitis

I didn't have as big an issue with breathing and stamina (it is only D1) but the tendonitis is another issue. I really want to do this program but my husband is skeptical and afraid that I'll do more harm than good. I just got a prescription for Meloxicam - an anti-inflammitory. So I am hoping that with good stretching and the meds, I can move ahead. Does anyone else have the same issue? I also have hallux limitus in the right toe joint but that has not been bad since I bought Avia's Motion Shoes. A nice "rocker" shoe - probably more for walking than running.

I refuse to use some foot issues as an excuse to do nothing and just sit around.

So until I do D2 tomorrow I will visit the Wii for some yoga and maybe a few balance games.
Closed Thread