There's a terrific lady on this forum named Stef who is a fitness instructor and has shared some great information with us. The following is from one of her postings related to water exercises. These are the types of things done in a water aerobics class but would allow you to keep an eye on your kids as you're moving about. Hope it helps some...
Phase 1. On the spot
· March - knees high at front, elbows high at back.
· Front kicks - opposite arms reach forward
· Side kicks - opposite arms sway
· Kick back - reach far forward with arms
· Side kicks
· Front kicks
Phase 2. Rebound
· Twist - deep knee bends, heels down, short arms to opposite sides
· Jumping Jacks - crucifix start position, deep knee bends both feet positions
· Cross country ski - long arms, big as possible
· 4 Jacks and 4 cross country ski - keep arms long and big
· Spotty dog - long arms, big as possible (this is a X-country ski but same side arm and leg move together)
· Hobby horse, and change leg - short arms, hands follow knee to front and heel to back
· Rest, and march.
Phase 3. Big Move.
· March forward - knees high at front, elbows high at back.
· March backwards - knees high at front, elbows high at back.
· Front kicks forwards - opposite arms reach forward
· Front kicks backwards - opposite arms reach forward
· Twist forwards - deep kneebends, heels down, short arms to opposite sides
· Change direction continue twists
· Change direction and Cross country ski - long arms, big as possible
· Change direction and continue Cross country ski
· Change direction Spotty dog - long arms, big as possible
· Change direction continue Spotty dog
· Change direction Hobby horse - short arms, hands follow knee to front and heel to back
· Change direction, change leg continue hobby horse
Phase 4. Cool Down
When you get to the 2nd leg of the hobby horse you do phase 3 backwards until you get back to marching on the sport.
Short Arms: Imagine your elbows are skewered to your sides, so you can only bend and straighten them, no shoulder movement.
Long Arms: Arms straight reach as far forward and back as possible all the movement from the shoulder.
Brush thighs with thumbs on the way passed to make sure your arms stay close to the body.