Wii Fit or Plus?

• I am not an owner of a Wii, but have a question. What is the difference between the Plus and the regular Fit? Are all games usable on each? I picked up a Wii Fit at a good price for family members and then saw the Plus. Since I would have to ship it, I think I might do better sending them the cash to buy the Plus....it would be the same cost in the end. I don't know why I didn't think of this up front.

If I had a Wii I would love to have the Fit for myself.
  • Wii Plus has updated versions of the Wii Fit games, and personally I wouldn't spend the money to update. They are pretty much the same ones. The one big difference that I can tell is the navigation is a little better with the updated version. The newer games use the Motion Plus attachment for the remotes so they are also a little more sensitive. Therefore, they would have to update the remotes too.

My family has the Wii Fit and likes it just fine. I think your gift should be a hit just the way it is. It can always be updated later.
  • Well, I have both....bought Wii Fit last March...used it a couple months and got annoyed because you had to choose a move, do it, wait for your results, then go back to the menu and choose your next move...there wasn't an option for a continuous workout....i recently got the Plus version and LOVE IT! yes, they are interchangeable...if you have plus, you don't need the regular...all the stats carried over when i put in the plus...K8t is correct in that they are pretty much the same games...but you get more options...more mini games...AND the option to have a continuous workout....it has 12 different small workouts pre-programmed, or you can combine the small workouts to make a big one....PLUS you can create your own workout by choosing the moves you want to do and it will take you through them w/out having to go back to choose the next...

I also agree that they can upgrade to the Plus later if they want it...there's no sense if you've already bought the original
  • I don't know what price you are getting on the Plus, but you can go to amazon.com and order it for under $100 (it keeps changing prices, but my mom bought it for $89 there a week ago)...and it is shipped free.
  • Wii Fit Plus is great
    Wii Fit Plus is great, it's a big improvement over Wii Fit.

It adds a bunch of great new games to the what's already there, which are great if you have started to get bored of the ones in the original.

More importantly it adds a routine system which makes working out with it much easier and more effective. You can programme routines in and store them for later (I have the entire yoga set programmed in), or you can have it build you a routine based on areas such as your tummy, or legs.

Just to clarify two things:
    • If you already have the Wii Fit, you only need the upgrade disk, you do not need to get a new balance board, that has not changed. It's about £15 for the disk.
    • Wii Fit Plus has nothing to do with the Wii Motion Plus controllers, and works just fine without them. I think that was a bad naming decision on Nintendo's part as it has confused a lot of people.

I've done a pretty in depth review of Wii Fit Plus at WiiFitForum.org* (in the "Reviews" section) which you might find useful.

I hope that helps. Personally I've found that upgrading has totally revamped Wii Fit for me, I'd got pretty bored of the games, and annoyed at the lack of a routine system like you get in EA Sports Active. It was totally worth the extra money.

Awesome site by the way, I wish I'd found this place earlier

Paul

* That isn't meant as spamming but feel free to remove the link if it's against the rules, I wasn't sure.
  • we have a wii, bought the wii fit plus at costco for $85 this weekend. setting it up now...