Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

Welcome Newbies....Jump right in

Purple - I use a Garmin Forerunner 305. It is a little bulky but it does job. It has a heart monitor, tracks, my miles, calories and route taken all categorized by the date and time. AWESOME

MBN - I love how you put it. You are right it all counts.

I have a short run today at tempo (3.5). Oh and I am such a friggin dork. I stayed up to 12AM 12/1 to sign up for the Monument Ave 10K in Richmond.! I have been so excited to sign up since the HM and I just couldn't help muhself!
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #17  
Workin' It

Purple - which Polar HRM do you have? There is a footpod that works with some of them that can be purchased from Polar that will track mileage and sync in with the HRM. I have an F60, no footpod though. I track my mileage with a RunKeeper app for my iPhone.

This is going to be a hard month for me to run, too... I feel myself slipping into the downhill spiral already, with the weather getting cold and holiday plans I find myself already making excuses. Have to get past that! If nothing else, I have a treadmill in my garage for just this time of year. 3.25 miles last night in the garage, 1 mile on Sunday chasing my stepson on his bike, a 7 mile and a 6 mile last week. Have to build up the treadmill miles to make it out the year...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 PM   #18  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

I've used several different strategies to track my miles. When I first started running, I used a Microsoft program called "streets and trips" to map out various routes and plot the distances. There are web sites now that offer the same thing, I think one is "map my run". Later, I got one of the first GPS units for running, a bulky 2 part unit that's totally obsolete now. It WAS nice to be able to just run free and let the unit tell me how far/fast I was going. If all else fails, you can always just DRIVE your route and see what the car odometer says!

Now, I just have friends with GPS! Either I run on routes where I already know the mileage, or I'm on the TM, or I run with people who have one of the new GPS watches. My phone (the new DROID) also has an app called Cardio Trainer that will do the same thing, and it works, but it's a bit cumbersome to run with the phone!

One of these days, I may have to spring for one of those newfangled GPS thingies ...

Last edited by MBN; 12-02-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

Okay...right now I am walking on a circular track at a park near my home. The road we live on is rural and hilly and dangerous to walk on, no sidewalks or anything here either, so the park is close and my best option. When weather is bad I open all the doors in my house and walk loops around it...not as strenuous but I can work up a sweat if I add in light jogging laps. So, planning a route is not really something I need, just to track miles while walking in a loop..and I have no idea how far one lap is on the track, it's around a soccer field though.

I have a Polar F4...so would the foot thing work with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I am looking into some of the GPS watches you all mentioned...I just feel like I'm too beginner to invest much, if that makes sense. I feel I have to "prove" myself first or something.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM   #20  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplefirefly View Post
Okay...right now I am walking on a circular track at a park near my home. The road we live on is rural and hilly and dangerous to walk on, no sidewalks or anything here either, so the park is close and my best option. When weather is bad I open all the doors in my house and walk loops around it...not as strenuous but I can work up a sweat if I add in light jogging laps. So, planning a route is not really something I need, just to track miles while walking in a loop..and I have no idea how far one lap is on the track, it's around a soccer field though.

I have a Polar F4...so would the foot thing work with it?

Thanks for all the help everyone! I am looking into some of the GPS watches you all mentioned...I just feel like I'm too beginner to invest much, if that makes sense. I feel I have to "prove" myself first or something.
No idea about the Polar foot pod, but I just wanted to chime in and say I felt the same way about investing in running shoes. I was worried that I'd drop $100+ on good shoes and then give up a month later! So I totally understand waiting to invest..and something like the GPS device is a considerable investment.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Oh HERE you are! I was thinking...hmmmm I wonder how come I haven't had an email from the running thread lately. The November running thread?!? Perhaps becasue it is December! Doh!

Thanks for all the encouragement regarding my upcoming race. I am looking forward to it and really nervous all at once. Just to complicate things for me a little more, we just got out first big dump of snow and I have never run in snow before!! Oh well. As long as I do it, I'll call it a success.

I am going to try to get out and do an outdoor run tomorrow just to try it before my Saturday event. Hopefully I don't wipe out!

I also just purchased the Garmin Forerunner 305 (Costco $169!!) and I really like it! I was using the Nike+ foot pod thing and although that website is much better than the Garmin, I don't think it was particularly accurate with my mileage outside so I prefer the GPS on the Garmin. I bought it because it also has the heart rate monitor and it works great!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Pants View Post
I felt the same way about investing in running shoes. I was worried that I'd drop $100+ on good shoes and then give up a month later! So I totally understand waiting to invest..and something like the GPS device is a considerable investment.
I bought the cheapie WalMart running shoes and they feel really good for walking...I decided I will go for something better first of the new year if I really keep with my training program. i will need some good ones for the races I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof5k View Post
I also just purchased the Garmin Forerunner 305 (Costco $169!!) and I really like it! I was using the Nike+ foot pod thing and although that website is much better than the Garmin, I don't think it was particularly accurate with my mileage outside so I prefer the GPS on the Garmin. I bought it because it also has the heart rate monitor and it works great!
Does the HRM use the chest strap thing? My Polar does and it rubs me raw...and it doesn't stay clasped very well so I had to tape it (that helped with rubbing as well, but hard to get it on and off now). That has me really wanting something new as well!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #23  

Okay, a question for you experienced racers...I am looking at the entry form for the 5K I want to walk in March, and I have to select either the Fun Walk or Race Walk. they are both 5k and go at the same time and fee is the same, so should I just go as fun the first time? I don't know that I could really be competitive for the race right now so feel silly entering the actual race! What do you guys think?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #24  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Purple- i wonder if the difference between the "fun" and the "race" is whether or noty ou get officially timed...... is that important to you?? If you WANT to be timed then go for race ( again, this is what i am guesing)...

Boy guys, i picked a GREAT week here in denver to tone down my running (although i am going crazy).. it was 6 degrees this morning, and will be tomorrow and the next day...etc......... Its not the cold so much, just the layer of ICE that cant melt becuz its not getting warm enough during the day!!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM   #25  
Tellin' it like it is!

down with TREADMILLS!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 11:09 AM   #26  
Crazy runner

Purple - I too had the walking shoes for the first 3 or 4 months of running, and then figured I would stick with it long enough to invest in running shoes. Proper shoes really do make all the difference!

MK - I decided yesterday that if not running in 15 degree temps means I'm a wimp, then so be it! It is just downright FRIGID! I've been actually having fun on the treadmill with various speed work, but I'm ready for a warmer day so I can get a 7 miler in (groan).

So I have some exciting news. I registered for my half marathon last night! Will be doing the Ft Collins half marathon, it's all downhill, how bad can it be...right? LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #27  
Tellin' it like it is!

fat- i did that half marathon last year!! First weekend in May, right?
I was thinking about doing the full this year, but ONLY if i dont qualify for Boston in Salt Lake (downhill, right?)

It wont actually FEEL downhill, BTW, but it doesnt ever really feel uphill, either, unlike Georgetown to Idaho Springs, which DOES feel like it has a lot of uphill, even though the net LOSS is over 1000 ft elevation. ANYWAY, the only problem i have with the FAT collins half is the way they make you shuttle to the start really REALLY early, and its really REALLY cold!! Plus there is negligible crowd support (which is really important, to me personally).
How exciting!! First half!! WAHOOS!!
and its not the FRIGID-- like i said, its the ICE i cant see.....not worth an injury, ya know?? Youd be suprised at how warm even 6 degrees feels when youre running
BTW- looked at your blog!! Its fantastic---YOU WEAR MAKEUP TO YOUR RACES????? WOW, i dont even shower or brushe my hair or teeth for three day before hand!!!

Last edited by mkroyer; 12-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #28  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
BTW- looked at your blog!! Its fantastic---YOU WEAR MAKEUP TO YOUR RACES????? WOW, i dont even shower or brushe my hair or teeth for three day before hand!!!

Seriously, how does the makeup stay on?? I'm a sweaty mess when I get done! If I tried to wear makeup I'd look like a sweaty racoon.

My hat's off to y'all who live in frigid climates. I can't imagine having to cope with below-freezing temps and running!

Purple: I'll bet MK is right and the fun walk is likely untimed. You wouldn't have to hassle with a timing chip (or strip) and there would be no "race" pressure. Racewalking has a specialized stride and those guys can be FAST! In my early running days, the racewalkers would go faster than I could run!! There are special "racewalking" rules about keeping one foot on the ground at all times. If you jog at any point, then you are running, not racewalking. If you aren't sure what you want to do, you can always call the race organizer and ask, I'm sure they could give you more information.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #29  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
fat- i did that half marathon last year!! First weekend in May, right?
I was thinking about doing the full this year, but ONLY if i dont qualify for Boston in Salt Lake (downhill, right?)

It wont actually FEEL downhill, BTW, but it doesnt ever really feel uphill, either, unlike Georgetown to Idaho Springs, which DOES feel like it has a lot of uphill, even though the net LOSS is over 1000 ft elevation. ANYWAY, the only problem i have with the FAT collins half is the way they make you shuttle to the start really REALLY early, and its really REALLY cold!! Plus there is negligible crowd support (which is really important, to me personally).
How exciting!! First half!! WAHOOS!!
and its not the FRIGID-- like i said, its the ICE i cant see.....not worth an injury, ya know?? Youd be suprised at how warm even 6 degrees feels when youre running
That's kind of what I figured - looking at the elevation profile. It looks a bit like the Longmont Turkey Trot in terms of the downhill slope... you know that it's easier but the elevation loss is so slight that you're not exactly staring at a downhill slope. And then when you go uphill, you know it's harder but not like the dang hills I have around my neighborhood. At least this is what I'm telling myself. LOL

YES -I saw the 7am start time for the HM and 6am for the M! What the heck, like anyone is doing anything else in Ft Collins that day besides tipping cows. Personally I don't like waiting around for a long time before races. Just gives me more time to think and get worked up.

Um, yes, I do wear makeup to my races, how silly is that? My DH makes fun of me LOL. I don't know why, I just always have to have makeup on. The only place I'll go w/o makeup is to Walmart, but then I figure I still look better than half the people in there
Old 12-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #30  
Crazy runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post

Seriously, how does the makeup stay on?? I'm a sweaty mess when I get done! If I tried to wear makeup I'd look like a sweaty racoon.
LOL ok... I only use MAC makeup. I had a MAC artist do my makeup for my wedding and have been hooked ever since. I have a gel eyeliner that DOES NOT COME OFF, even in the shower - you have to use eye removal stuff to get that sucker off.

Also, please notice I don't have many (if any) photos from post-race. Ha!

And please! I am running 5ks, not half marys or marathons! I hardly work up a sweat with those anymore.

Last edited by Fat Pants; 12-03-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Closed Thread