Does this sound like a good start?

• I just joined the gym. I only have a small window of time between work and getting the kids fed so this is when I go. My routine so far (1 week. 5 days to be exact) has been walking the treadmill, gradually building up to 3.3 mph at a 3.5 incline. 5 min building up speed, 40 min. w/ arms pumping at 3.3 mph, then 5 min. of slow down.

How long should I keep this routine? I haven't changed the eating part too much, yet. I want to do baby steps so I don't feel too overwhelmed and quit. That's been my usual pattern. Is this an ok start? I'm not expecting to see results right away. I just want going to the gym to become my new habit. I want to be one of those people that hate it when they miss a day!

Thanks!

Heidi
  • When you joined the gym did they offer you a complimentary 1 hour personal trainer? If not you should ask if you could get a free hour as a newbie. This could be invaluable to keeping you with ideas and inspirations. I suggest you move around all the equipment instead of starting with one.
    For me when I started just about 6 weeks or so ago I found that my favorite machine was the stair treadmill. Burns a lot, works you hard without working to fast so I didn't have to worry about the jiggle factor. Now I rarely use it.
    Truly, I believe it is about variety and sometimes getting out of your comfort zone.
  • In my opinion I think you are doing a great job. Yeah take baby steps so you don't hate it after doing it for a long time. Make it like a routine. Baby steps are better than no steps at all

Good luck with your journey!