3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   I just ran ten minutes straight! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/186856-i-just-ran-ten-minutes-straight.html)

Shifterred 11-21-2009 11:23 PM

I just ran ten minutes straight!

In grade school, junior high, and high school the meanie-faces in the PE department made us do an annual 10 minute mile.

I always made it about two laps, and spent the rest of the time in a panic, side-stitched, leaning against any available flat surface and wondering why in the name of GOD any self-respecting adult would force a young person to endure such agony.

It should be noted I was still 30+ pounds overweight and totally inactive in those days.

A week ago, I started the C25K program and wondered if maybe it was a bit too easy for me. Maybe, just maybe, I could do more.

So, on random non-C25K days I would run a little on the treadmill. I consistently could make a .25 mile run in 3:50min before my mind would rebel and I'd have to stop.

Tonight, I pushed myself...just to see how long I could go before my body resisted. I made it to my usual 3:50 and past to 5:00. By that point, I couldn't possibly just stop at 6 or 7 or 8 or even 9. (I am a bit obsessive about things being counted by 5's.)

I made it. It wasn't a ten minute MILE (tread counted me at .79)...but it was ten minutes of running, with no stops or breaks! And even then, it was more my lungs that were giving our than my muscles. Now, of course, my I am hacking and coughing and my legs are rather sore. But it was still exhilarating!

I instantly wanted to come and share it with all of you! <3

Hooray! Thank you for being a supporting, interesting, and encouraging group.

P.S: Can I do this ten-minute push often? Or should I keep it sparse, a once a week endeavor?

Ilene 11-21-2009 11:36 PM

I say if you can do 10+ mins, go with it...:yes:

LandonsBaby 11-22-2009 03:08 AM

Great job!

TIARA 11-22-2009 04:53 AM

wow thats really good..congrats and keep up the good work.

crk05 11-22-2009 01:25 PM

That's awesome! I was the same way in middle school PE and sometimes I still think of those meanie-faced coaches when I'm out on a run.

GREAT JOB on the ten minutes...that is a wonderful milestone to reach!!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

RockyMtnGirl 12-07-2009 07:47 PM

That's excellent!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

mkendrick 12-07-2009 07:56 PM

I know this thread is a few weeks old, but I just reached this milestone also!!!!! I've loosely been doing the C25k program, and I've been able to run for 120 seconds, walk for 90 seconds for a full 25 minutes. Well after a few days of that, I decided to not worry about the clock and just run until I absolutely could not run anymore. That's not saying much, I have terrible will power. Well I jogged and when I finally stopped, I was surprised to see that I'd run a little over 10 minutes!

cabinwife 12-07-2009 10:55 PM

mkendrick, that's a huge accomplishment! I have been following C25k as well, so I may just try a free-run on my day off. I doubt I will make it 10 minutes, but you never know!

Purplefirefly 12-08-2009 07:01 AM

Congrats to both of you! You'll be doing a half hour before you know it .

Aclai4067 12-08-2009 09:05 AM

Great Job! I'm going to try to push for running 5 min this week. I get what you mean about your mind giving up first; I've really been struggling with that! I won't even be that tired, but I find myself dying to look at that clock and see if I can stop yet. It's like my brain wants this to be harder than it is.

midwife 12-08-2009 09:24 AM

Congrats to all! You guys are rockin' it!!! :carrot:

mulder1921 12-15-2009 09:42 PM

Way to go!!!!!

JustBeckyV 12-15-2009 09:57 PM

That is aweesome! I have been bumping up for weeks and haven't made it 10 minutes yet. Doesn't help I smoked for 20 years lol