Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #46  

EveL - I'm at 207.5 and have my sights set on onederland, too! Keep up the great work.

shannon - welcome!

so impressed by all of you that run in the middle of the night (seriously, 3:30 am is not the morning....it is still nighttime in my book...!) since I'm an afternoon/early evening runner. What dedication!

currently looking for 5k races in the Boston area that I could run when I am there in the summer for grad school. I could probably run one sooner, like the spring, but I want to really be ready and lose at least 15 more pounds before I run one. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to sign up for my first race!
blueridgegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:15 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Dancer - I think it's my hip flexor actually, because it's right where the quad meets the pelvis in the front. It's a little better today but definitely still sore, so I might try to run later this afternoon or just take it easy. Thanks for asking! How are you runs going? I'm sorry to hear about your knee pain! Can't say it's ever happened to me, but I pretty much ice anything that hurts and it usually works well!

FatPants - I've never tried using a foam roller. Where did you get one? And would I just look up some exercises online for it? Thanks for the advice!

Idealmuse - I totally agree with MBN on this one. The extra strain from racing and maybe just all of the training runs culminating on this one day could have caused the pain. As long as you monitor it and make sure it's not getting worse, you should be fine!

MBN - It's awesome that you're enjoying distance running for the sake of running and not for the sake of speed. You're doing what you love and still challenging and pushing yourself to go those long distances, so that's fantastic!

Mk - Have a good "rest" day! Haha!

Sporty - Good job on another run!

Smee - Welcome back! We missed you!

Shannon - Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of good running opportunities going on...the local club, half marathon...how exciting! I'm doing my first half in February, so we can help each other through it! Can I ask why you're running on the balls of your feet? I'm by no means an expert, but from the reading I've done about form and from my running experience, I've found it best to land on neither the heel nor the ball, but somewhere in the middle (if that makes any sense!). Heel strikes hurt my shins but toe strikes just seem uncomfortable. There are a ton of videos out there about good running form, so if you havent checked them out already, I'd recommend it. Look forward to getting to know you!

Nothing new for me to report. I'm kind of achy today from the hip flexor stuff and from boot camp so I'm taking it easy this morning and will see how I feel in the afternoon. Hoping to get in a run but we'll see! Have a great day!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM   #48  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Ideal- congrats on the 15k and I hope you get that issue figured out!

Shannon- Welcome! And you should totally join the running club! I wish there were a local one here. I'm training for my first half marathon in June. Good luck on yours!

Blue- We will both be in Onederland soon! We can do it!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:38 PM   #49  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingCharge View Post

FatPants - I've never tried using a foam roller. Where did you get one? And would I just look up some exercises online for it? Thanks for the advice!
I got mine from ZombieRunner.com, but check your local running store to see if they have them: http://www.zombierunner.com/store/ca...oduct2102.html - they might be cheaper at a local store.

Check these out for exercises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAwlsctqBs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0ap...eature=related

Also I highly recommend the traditional ITB foam roller exercise (the one shown in the product link). My hips felt really tight yesterday during most of my run and sure enough my right hip with the ITB injury was aching all last night and a little bit today. When my ITB is inflamed, I use the foam roller every night regardless of whether or not I run. I would say it takes just a few days - a week to work it out. You'll know when it's not inflamed anymore because it hurts like a you-know-what when you're rolling it and it's tight, and gradually the pain lessens as the muscles/tendons are massaged and relaxed as the week goes on. Now I only use it on run days.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 210/199/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Hey!

Ca I quickly say this- the name "Zombie Runner" made me giggle. I'm not sure why, but it did.

TC- Thanks! It was so hard to stay away and not be able to read about everyone's progress without the old Envy Monster popping up. But I'm feeling great now, and I have my eyes on a 5 mile race on New Year's Day here in Dallas. I dont' go out and party on NYE, so I figured "Why not?". I'm also thinking about training for a 10k after that, then, by the summer, a half. I'm thinking I can do it.

I do have a question for everyone. I have a HUGE sweet tooth, which, along with my fast food tooth has contributed to my volumptuous figure. After only 3 days I'm finding that those two cravings are almost nil now. Granted, I still like some soda and some chocolate every once in a while, but that nagging desire just isn't there so much. Does anyone else get this?

I'm so glad I can read the posts again! You guys are so darn inspiring!
Smee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #51  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

dancerindenver: The only time I had really intrusive knee pain was when I trained for my full marathon. By the time I finished that race, I had to take several weeks off from running to let it recover. I attribute it to lack of cross training and strengthening while running too many miles. My prevention strategy now is to make sure I'm replacing those shoes at proper intervals, and to do plenty of stretching and lower body strengthening work. And I work all of the lower body not just the quads - hamstrings, quads, calves, glutes, inner/outer thighs etc. I"m not a big fan of weight machines, I do lots of squats, lunges, body scupting classes, yoga, etc (functional exercises). My theory is knee pain can occur when muscles get out of balance, because we're not working enough of the other muscles/tendons/ligaments. That, and I don't run the really long runs any more (20 plus milers), because I only train for halfs. I haven't had any knee problems since. YMMV, of course!

I sometimes sound like a broken record, I'm afraid, but I've seen it happen so many times ... new runners get so enthusiastic and go out and run too many miles, too soon, aren't doing any kind of cross training, don't know how to stretch, may not have the right shoes, and --- they end up with an overuse injury. I did EXACTLY that when I first started running, had a hip bursitis flare, and ended up with several weeks of physical therapy. And guess what they had me do: hold back on the running, stretch religiously, and do lower body strengthening exercise. When the pain got better, ramp up the miles more slowly. Voila, problem fixed! Fortunately it was early enough that it resolved quickly. But I learned a whole lot from that experience, including the immense value of cross training, strength training, and stretching. Every time I've developed a nagging pain somewhere (and I still get them), I can usually trace it back to one of several things: worn out shoes, neglected my stretching or strengthening, or increased my miles too quickly. Usually it's the shoes or the mileage. I don't want to sound preachy, but I've been able to run more than 1000 miles so far this year injury-free (and I'm 50 years old!), so something must be working. I've been lucky in never having anything serious like a stress fracture, that's another animal. Good genetics, I guess!

Smee: I wish running controlled my sweet tooth!! Unfortunately, the only way I can avoid sweet cravings is to avoid the sugary stuff altogether. Working out does make me feel happier and more in control, so I'm better able to stay on track with my eating plan when I'm exercising regularly.

Happy running ... today and tomorrow are cross-train days for me. I'm doing bridge repeats (South Florida's version of hill repeats!) on Saturday morning and the usual long run on Sunday morning. The marathon gals are scheduled for 18 miles. I did the 16 miler with them a couple of weeks ago, and haven't decided if I'm going to hang the whole time or bail at 15-16. Part of me wants to see if I can do it -- haven't run that far since full marathon training in 2002 -- and part of me doesn't think me wants to run for more than 3 hours!! I'll see how the spirit moves.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:19 AM   #52  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Good morning everyone!

MBN, thanks for the informative post! I always look forward to reading what you have to say because I can always learn! What are all the stretches that we should be doing after a run? I've been stretching afterwards, but I'm wondering if I'm not stretching [I]enough[I]

I'm going out to start week 2 of c25k in a few minutes! I'm a bit nervous because it ups my running time by 30 seconds (i know its only 30 seconds lol), but i'm excited as well!

Hope everyone has a good day.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

I just want to pop in and say hi. i have been on a cruise and gained 5 pounds in two weeks or so. ARGH! Oh well back on my grind. Glad to see the running thread I tell you that. I didn't run on the cruise (it was like running in sand, but while dizzy) and that time felt like for-ever! I ran for the first time last night, 6 miles. THe first 20 were like a slow death but after that i felt like my old self (almost). So I have my HM FINALLY next weekend and IDC if I have to crawl to the finish line I am DOING IT!

I have missed you girls ....kisses

Last edited by CakeBatter; 11-05-2009 at 07:46 AM.
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #54  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Here's a good resource on stretching from Hal Higdon's website:
http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

And another from Cool Running:
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Last edited by MBN; 11-05-2009 at 08:19 AM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:18 AM   #55  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

HOLY CR@P!! its CAKEBATTER!!! Wahoos!! We missed you girl!! I remember specifically asking at least once or twice, "and where the he*l is Cake!?"
Half mary next weekend eh? how exciting!!!!! youre gonna have a blast!! whch half are you running?

Todays am run... 7.25 mi LA threshold, Long run tempo @ 7:37 min/mi avg

Im finally starting to really get a good handle on these threshold runs. There is a VERY fine line between not working hard enough, and working too hard.... i tend to err on the side of working too hard, but the prob is, if you cant finish the run, or maintain the paces youre supposed to, then the integrity of the threshold run is compromised. Likewise if you arent pushing hard enough that the lactic acid builds up, then the benefits are diminished as well.

Question for you all: So, i want to get a strength training DVD to do at home, like for in the am after my runs, when i can sqeeze in a half hour, instead of having to make a huge production of going to the gym, or taking a class, you know what i mean. So, i got Jillian Michaels No More trouble zones, or something, cuz everyone says its SO HARD and whatever...well.....i used the heaviest weights we have at home (12.5 and 15 lbs) and i didnt even break a sweat. ANyone know of a REALLY GOOD/ REALLY HARD strength trainign video?? I realize i can always make it harder by upping the weights.......
I still meet with my trainer of course, but tats only a couple times a week.....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 AM   #56  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh, and sorry im not chiming in to much about the inury stuff.....i dont wanna be a hypocrite....... i tend to ignore pain, i ignore doctors orders, i up my mileage even when i have stress fractures, i run on broken bones, i dont let crap heal....i dont stretch, dont own a foam roller.....basically i ALWAYS suck it up and deal with it. I hope you ladies are smart enough (read: not stubborn and completely lacking in common sense) to listen to your bodies and treat them well.....

FYI-- my foot is feeling MUCH better!!!!! mostly...usually....still hurts a little when i wake up...nothing a few percocets cant take care of!! KIDDING.....i meant advil.....
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #57  
exercising with twins

S/C/G: 220/198/180

Height: 5' 4"

MK - didn't break a sweat doing No More Trouble Zones eh? Wow. I'm very impressed. You go girl. I find the abs and triceps work in that one leaves me in pain - good pain, but pain.

Some people on the fitness videos board rave about the P90x vidoes. I've heard they're harder than Jillian Michaels' videos. It's an order via infomercial product so I've avoided it thus far but there are threads about it on the fitness videos board which may give you an idea of whether it is hardcore enough for you.

I'm still out running in the mornings. I was doing every other morning for awhile but I'm trying to up it to two days on, one day off now. It seems to be working so far. I never thought I'd be someone who ran 5kms before breakfast on a regular basis... but I'm enjoying it.
Sylvied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #58  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

MK, I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme which is by the same people who produce P90x. It is heavier weights, fewer reps. I always think I'm not going to get a good workout but by the end, my legs and arms are shaking and I've worked up a pretty good sweat and my strength has increased considerably just in the 2 weeks I've been doing it. With this one it really is all about the amount of weight you use. It might be worth it to invest in 20 lb weights. The circuits are about 30-35 minutes in length, so not too long.

Also - looks like I'm going to do the 5M for Frozen Five & Ten, and the Snowman Stampede 10M. If I'm not too scared to bump my long run up to 10 miles by February... lol.

Last edited by Fat Pants; 11-05-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 270.6/161.0/150

Height: 5'8"

Argh! Finally found time (motivation?) to get on my treadmill and it started making a really TERRIBLE noise! Oh my!! I didn't even get a mile in before I had to stop.

I am really hoping my hubby can fix it when he gets home because I don't forsee a new one fitting into our budget right now
momof5k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

MK - You made me bust out this big old silly grin.....I didn't think anyone noticed. It is the McDonalds HM (i am simply doing it to finish) and then I am training for time for the Shamrock Half in March. So I am guessing you are still smoke-free. And did you place in your marathon?

I had been slacking off a bit because I think i was simply overtrained.....I worked so hard for an event I never got to do and I just sort of went into a slow slump. Oh well I am BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER

Sylvied - Isn't is awesome to look at yourself and say "i never thought in a million years I could ever...."
CakeBatter is offline   Reply With Quote