Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #16  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Well, after something like a 20 year hiatus, I've finally got myself back into exercise. It's always been something that I've tried to avoid because, like you, I've always found it boring, I've never had the motivation to do it ... oh, and I'm very lazy! However, the thing that has helped me most of all was finding a friend who felt the same ... She also wants to lose weight, but we both realised that we weren't going to be successful with just diet alone, and we knew we needed to exercise in order to be fit and healthy. We're both in our 40's, so we're no spring chickens, and we realised that it was now or never. The great thing is that even if one of us doesn't feel like exercising, neither one of us wants to let the other down, so we end up doing it anyway ... if we were going it alone we simply wouldn't bother. And the even better thing is that we have both started to actually enjoy it! We've been hiking in the local country park, and although we've found it pretty difficult (especially the uphill bits!), we're are both enjoying it and it feels like we have actually accomplished something ... we feel proud of ourselves. We have also just decided to start playing Racketball (UK version of Raquetball), and we're both really looking forward to the prospect of playing a sport after all these years. If you are really not enjoying going to the gym alone then perhaps you should look at another form of exercise ... something you might actually enjoy ... or grow to enjoy. And if you can find a friend who really wants to do it, I can tell you, it will certainly help with the motivation. Good luck!
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 198/192/140

Height: 5'4

Agree wit BluetoBlue, get a trainer! They are fantastic! Especially if you feel lost/ unmotivated and don't have a gym buddy. I had training today and it lasted 1.5 hours. First we did warm up movements, then alternate between 10 crunches on a medicine ball and 10 woodchop swings with a 12lb ball each side, 5 times (with rest in between). Then 5, 20 second planks with my elbows on a stability mat thing? lol And then 5 sets of 10 back flexor things? Then stretching... I wouldn't have been able to do that workout on my own before, but now that I've learned it I feel confident enough to know what I'm doing when I'm going!

TRAINERS! I love them!
g8torgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 198/192/140

Also, if you pick a really hot guy they are not bad to look at! I know some girls are self conscious and are more comfortable with a girl, but somehow I feel that guy trainers work you more
.... or maybe I just want to work harder for them? Who knows haha! Good luck girl!!
g8torgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:37 PM   #19  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

I think it was mandalin who gave this advice, but it has worked for me when I don't feel like exercising: work out for 15 minutes. I can do anything for 15 minutes, so I make a deal with myself. If I work out for 15 minutes, then I can stop. Every know and then I do stop at 15 minutes, but I've still worked out. More often I keep going because I feel better while I exercise.

Every little bit helps. Keep moving!!!
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 AM   #20  

I used to be really into weights, had books on the subject, magazines, etc. Then did yoga for a while and long (and I do mean LONG) walks...

Anyway, dusted off my unused dormant but fully paid up gym membership again...there's a 24 hour fitness just 1 mile from my house. No excuse not to go particularly now that I'm really concentrating on dieting and haven't been cheating, foodwise. It was time to add the exercise back in!

So I started yesterday and went today, too. Boy, what a pathetic showing. Didn't take much to make me all noodly and tired. But I'm determined. I want to start light and keep adding minutes on the treadmill and adding exercises and sets to the weight training portion. I'm giving myself about a month maybe to work up to a full workout. Then I'm giving myself more time before I start also adding in yoga, additionally.

My bff asked me, "remember when you used to walk every night? Why don't you go back to that?" Well, I have a job where I work more hours. And it's cold and yucky out. I don't WANT to spend 1.5 hours just walking like I used to- each night. For less than that, I can get a very good workout in a nice gym. And the treadmill takes care of the aerobic type stuff...

So I'm stoked! But noodly!
BlondeWoman is offline   Reply With Quote