C25k and walking more

• I am wanting to start the C25k tomorrow. I am trying to actively lose weight and I want to exercise a lot, since I have the time. Yet the C25k is only 20 minutes to begin.

Would it be bad if I did the C25k part, then did additional walking? I usually do more anyways....I mean, I've even done a half marathon before. I just need to now start working towards being able to jog enough.
  • Complete with proper warm ups, C25k is 30 minutes to start out, but by all means if you want to keep walking, do so!
  • I make the c25k last longer by doing extra intervals of walking and jogging...
  • Extra walking sounds fine. I always do a cool down walk at the end. ... or you could just skip ahead to week 2 or 3 if week 1 sounds too easy.
  • When I first started trying to lose weight, I was too out of shape to even make it through week 1 of the C25K, so I started walking instead. I walked several miles a day for many months before trying the C25K again. When I finally felt comfortable trying to run again, I hated to give up my walking, so I just added the C25K program to my daily workout. Most days I was walking 3 miles on my lunch at work, 2-3 miles with my dog after work, then 3 days a week also doing the C25K program in the evening. Or I would do the C25K program, get done, run back to my apartment to get my dog, then do her 2-3 mile walk as my cool down. I now do all my regular walking in addition to running 3 miles every other day and feel great when I get done with everything. If your body seems okay with it, then I would go for it. Just pay attention to how your body responds and scale back a bit if you start to have problems.
  • Yes, I'm in the middle of C25K and I often do an extra 1-2 miles of walking once I'm done with the actual C25K part. I just listen to my body and keep my walking pace/distance in line with what I have the energy to do.