Hiking

• I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but now more than ever because I'm finally getting in shape. I moved to Louisiana from Florida last spring, and while I really dislike Shreveport, I was excited to find out that I'm just a short trip to some pretty mountainous land.

Especially now that the seasons are changing, my boyfriend and I drive up to the Ouachitas or Ozarks at least once a month for some hiking. This past weekend I did my hardest hike yet, a 4.5 miler that the guidebooks called "strenuous." We completed it in 4 hours and felt amazing afterwards. I couldn't believe I finished it! We had a few opportunities to take access roads out, but I made a commitment to myself that I would hike the entire thing, and I'm so glad I did.

When I got home that night and entered my exercise in to Fitday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that 4 hours of hiking burns about 1500 calories. That just sweetened the pot--I would have enjoyed it regardless of the calories I burned.

Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement with all of you and encourage the more outdoorsy chicks to try it if you don't already. Trails.com is a great resource for finding trails near you of all skill levels. Just remember to budget your time wisely so you're finished before dusk and bring plenty of water and a light snack.

Happy hiking!
  • Congrats!!

I love hiking. I'm not sure if there is a Louisiana version but the "50 hikes" books are really good. I recommend them if there is one for your area. Trails.com is good as well.
  • Nice - thanks for sharing!!
  • Yep, the rest of the week I exercise because I HAVE to. On the weekends I GET to go hiking.
  • I love hiking! I recently just did Mount Royal in Frisco, CO and there was a little sign at the trail head "WARNING: This trail is all uphill" lol - it didn't lie. We got most of the way up, a pulled muscle (me) and a whiney out of shape dog made us quit when we were probably 3/4 of the way up (so close!). It took us about an hour and a half to go almost 2 miles uphill and then about 20 minutes to get back down to the bottom. So much fun! We are going to try it again this weekend, maybe without the dog...
  • wow...awesome hike!

We like hiking too(Dh and I) There is a really nice state park that has 7hiking trails deep in the woods, so much fun!
  • I also really enjoy hiking. And I love finally being fit enough to do more strenuous ones! Funny, I love hiking, and also adore city walking--but find walking my suburban neighborhood deathly dull.