Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/227/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Hiking

I've always enjoyed the outdoors, but now more than ever because I'm finally getting in shape. I moved to Louisiana from Florida last spring, and while I really dislike Shreveport, I was excited to find out that I'm just a short trip to some pretty mountainous land.

Especially now that the seasons are changing, my boyfriend and I drive up to the Ouachitas or Ozarks at least once a month for some hiking. This past weekend I did my hardest hike yet, a 4.5 miler that the guidebooks called "strenuous." We completed it in 4 hours and felt amazing afterwards. I couldn't believe I finished it! We had a few opportunities to take access roads out, but I made a commitment to myself that I would hike the entire thing, and I'm so glad I did.

When I got home that night and entered my exercise in to Fitday, I was pleasantly surprised to see that 4 hours of hiking burns about 1500 calories. That just sweetened the pot--I would have enjoyed it regardless of the calories I burned.

Anyway, I wanted to share my excitement with all of you and encourage the more outdoorsy chicks to try it if you don't already. Trails.com is a great resource for finding trails near you of all skill levels. Just remember to budget your time wisely so you're finished before dusk and bring plenty of water and a light snack.

Happy hiking!
strangerthanfiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Congrats!!

I love hiking. I'm not sure if there is a Louisiana version but the "50 hikes" books are really good. I recommend them if there is one for your area. Trails.com is good as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #3  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Nice - thanks for sharing!!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Yep, the rest of the week I exercise because I HAVE to. On the weekends I GET to go hiking.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 232/218/140

Height: 5'9

I love hiking! I recently just did Mount Royal in Frisco, CO and there was a little sign at the trail head "WARNING: This trail is all uphill" lol - it didn't lie. We got most of the way up, a pulled muscle (me) and a whiney out of shape dog made us quit when we were probably 3/4 of the way up (so close!). It took us about an hour and a half to go almost 2 miles uphill and then about 20 minutes to get back down to the bottom. So much fun! We are going to try it again this weekend, maybe without the dog...
bexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM   #6  
keep on truckin' momma

S/C/G: 278/255/170

Height: 5'2

wow...awesome hike!

We like hiking too(Dh and I) There is a really nice state park that has 7hiking trails deep in the woods, so much fun!
misspriss78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/115/115

Height: 5.0

I also really enjoy hiking. And I love finally being fit enough to do more strenuous ones! Funny, I love hiking, and also adore city walking--but find walking my suburban neighborhood deathly dull.
Teachyrchildren is offline   Reply With Quote