Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #61  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Hey ladies...you all have been busy!!

iDream - CONGRATS on the 5k!! That's a FANTASTIC time...you should be very proud of yourself!!

MK- glad the 20 miler went well... I love runs like that, just putting yourself on auto pilot and going...those are the best!

sharon - Every mileage increase is something to be celebrated!

--------------------
Well... I'm not really in the mood for Monday. At all. I didn't run all weekend, just ran out of time. I feel like I barely had a weekend! Anyway, today WILL be 5 miles, I don't care how bad the wind is, I will not wimp out! My 5k is on Saturday, definitely not as nervous about this one as I was my first. I think it should be a pretty good race.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Morning ladies!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! I tell ya, I was feeling those hills yesterday in my hips and butt! But it was a good feeling.

Dancer
~ hope you had a great run! I'm loving the cooler weather for sure!

TC~ aww, thanks! I'm so new at this running thing that I have no idea what a good time is--I was getting passed left and right so I knew I wasn't breaking any records , but I just kept on truckin'. I kinda wanted to try to sprint the last little bit--but figured that I'd probably fall on my face if I tried--because that's the kind of goofy thing that would happen to me. Sorry to hear you had a crappy run! Sorry I don't have any advice for you on training this week...I hope whatever you do that your leg feels better asap! I can't wait to hear about your 10K!!!

Iris~ soooo, did you get your 6 miles in yesterday?

MK~ thanks so much! I felt pretty good--it helped not knowing the course and when it ended kwim? When I run in my subdivision I start to peter out about 2/3 in and I'm guessing it's just mental because I feel fine. I started of kind of goofy though. Hubby bought me a new iPod Shuffle (dang those things are teensy!) and like a total dork I hadn't turned it on when the race started! So I spent the first couple of minutes running wonky and fiddling with my headphones/iPod--plus I did kind of start off faster than usual so I had to find my usual pace once I finally got the music on. Note to self: Turn iPod on BEFORE the race begins next time! Congrats on your wonderful run!!! Sounds like you did awesome! And as for your binge--hun, trust me when I say I topped your binge a million times over this weekend! Don't sweat it, just move on and know that it's a new day! I second the hazmat jumper! Hand sanitizer, boiling water, masks, plastic bubbles--do whatever it is that you have to do to stay healthy!!!!!!! And big hugs to your dd, hope she's feeling better soon!

Sharon
~ man, that stinks that your calculations were off--but you got out there and RAN! That's all that counts! You'll nail that 5 miles tomorrow!!!

Ilene~ WTG on the run!! I bet it felt good to get back out there!

momof5K~ Oh you're going to love your first 5K! It feels great! I gotta say, I don't envy you training outside in Winter, but I'm sure you'll get tons of great advice from these ladies--looks like there's tons of Winter runners here! I'm still waffling on bringing it inside when the cold weather hits or just sucking it up and braving the snow and ice! Brrrr!

Ladies, I was horrible this weekend! I ate so Off Plan that I don't think 'Off Plan' quite covers it! We celebrated my ds' birthday twice and I just went completely off the deep end! I have the worst food hangover EVER! I shudder to think how I'd feel if I had drank alcohol on top of it!

With that said, I did manage to get my workout in this morning and will be doing my HIIT tonight come heck or high water!

I'm switching up my running routine starting this week--I'll be running at night now instead of in the morning. I starting P90X today and since that workout is an hour long I need to be able to get it in before the kids wake up so I can finish the whole thing without interruption. So, after hubby gets home I'll hit the road and try to get my 3 miles in before the kids' bedtime. Wish me luck!

Well girls, I'm off--I need to get some more water and flush all of this crap out of my system. Groan...it sooo wasn't worth this misery!!!

Oh, I almost forgot--here's photographic proof that I earned my 5K stripes! And proof that my form definitely needs some work!!!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #63  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

FatPants~ You snuck in on me! Sorry to hear your weekend went by too fast! I hate that!!! Thanks so much for the kind words. Hope you have a great run and that you don't have to battle any wind today!!!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #64  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

iDream - LOOKING GOOD! Love that pink top - and you're smiling! Your energy and enthusiasm jump right out of that pic!

Here's an article a college buddy posted on Facebook about a guy he knows who just won a marathon in Minnesota - thought y'all might find it interesting, especially our very own soon-to-be marathoner, MK! Jason Hartmann weathered what could have been a disastrous drop of a energy drink bottle to win his first marathon.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #65  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

Starting to get back on track tomorrow... I just got through 1/3 major tests I have in the next two days. I don't even have time to run... Ugh! But, I'm so going tomorrow!

Mkroyer: I might be doing a 5K on New Years Eve, but I'm going to look into a 10K around January in my area so I can slowly work up to that and get a very good time. Does that seem like too slow progress in terms of increasing endurance/speed? I feel like I should amp it up to be sooner... but, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I already pulled my hamstring this summer and I'm terrified of getting another injury by doing too much!
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Mk - The pain is right along the outer side of my shin bone. I think it's the anterior tibialis muscle (just looked in my anatomy book, haha), but it doesn't feel like regular shin splints, which for me are normally along the inner side of my shin. I do think that's what it is though, just overuse, but it's only been bad when I ran outside both times, not at all on the treadmill. I don't really need more 4 milers because I'm pretty ready to run 6 at this point, but like you were saying, 3 miles just doesn't feel like I'm burning enough calories! I may do a few runs on the treadmill and then just take a long walk outside on saturday or something. I can't believe you have an 8 year old and still manage all those runs! You are amazing! And YES, please keep yourself healthy!

Sharon - 4.73 is an awesome distance!! I would say that deserves some bragging rights! Good luck on your 5!

FatPants - Sorry to hear you had such a busy weekend. Hope you get in a great run today!

IDream - You look GREAT! So athletic, but I love the girly pink touch. And that sucks about the weekend binge. When I first decided to maintain (3 months ago now!), I had a lot of trouble regulating my calorie intake and feeling so comfortable with my weight that I would eat way more than I needed to because I felt like I could now. But that's just not how it works. I've managed to maintain within 2-3 pounds, even with really bad eating days, but I feel miserable after those days. It's exactly like a hangover! I'm sluggish, in a bad mood, and know that I did something bad for my body. It happens to everyone and I'm sorry to say will no doubt happen again, but it's how you deal with it that's the key. Just learn from it, move on, and get back to treating your body right!

In other workout news, I signed up for boot camp!! It starts 10/19 and I can't wait. Is that weird? Haha. After my 10K, I'm officially training for my half in February, so I'll for sure be running 4x/week, then maybe 5 as I get closer to the race, but I think the hardcore strength training (not my wimpy 20 minutes at my apartment gym) will really help with my running and should be fun. I love trying out new workouts!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #67  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Idream, great picture!

TC, good luck with the boot camp - I'm sure it will be intense!

loquacious, I wish you the best on your exams. I should be getting two back from last week and of course I'm a little nervous.

Also, proud to report that i DID run my 6 miles this weekend!! I alternated running/walking with every other song on my ipod. I don't have an official time, but based on when I left and returned to the house (drove to the park to run) I'm estimating about 1.5 hours.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #68  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

iDream--you are HOT!!! wow Congrats on meeting and PASSING your goal!!! You look like a lean mean running machine!! You have the long legged look of a runner!! I have these short fat tree trucks for legs....if i want to run fast i REALLY have to get those short leggers movin'!!

TAKINGCHARGE--sounds like you are on top of the leg pain issue, but i do have one more quick question....how old are your shoes?? Sometimes i start getting tendon pains when its time to replace them, even if they *should* have more miles in em.....not that you should replace your shoes 5 days out from your big race...... then again, if you need to go ahead and do it NOW and make sure you run in em once or twice before the race....just a suggestion any how.....

Loquacious-- i think between now and january you could make significant improvements in both endurance and speed!!! But racing is FUN!! why wait so long?? Just do it, its not like youre going to go out and win either way, right?? And racing takes practice too......
In anycase, if you are bent on waiting till January, make sure you are increasing the distance you run each week or two during one run, your *long* run. Even if your longest run right now is only 2 miles, every couple of weeks try to increase that distance on just ONE of your weekly runs, but not by much, maybe a quarter mile at most (only because you have so much time till January). Then ONE TIME a week, devote your run to *Speed Work*. But ONLY ONCE a week. There are a gazillion different varities of speed work and they all reap different benefits, but for now if i were you i would keep it simple and do intervals. 1/4 mile running at your comfy pace, and 1/4 mile running HARD for YOU, but NOT A SPRINT. you WANT to be uncomfortable, but you shouldnt be dying, and you should be able to finish the interval. Do 4 to 8 repeats, with a couple minutes walking or light jogging in between. As you get better, you can increase the distance of your interval ( up to a half mile, or more) or you can increase the SPEED you are runnign at, OR You can increase how many times you repeat it.......

Dont expect HUGE improvements in your pace..im not entirely sure what you are visualizing being able to run a 10K in....any idea what you are thinking??? and what is your pace now?? Just curious if your goals are realistic or not (in a helpful way, coming from an experienced(?) runner)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #69  

S/C/G: 165/---/148

mkroyer: I really do like racing... but I'm kind of content going on the treadmill. It's my chill space and I got time on my side... I'm definitely going to take your advice though about increasing distance/speed. I did a 5K two weeks ago and finished in 29:44. But, I'm hoping by the 10K, I can do a 8.5 min/9 mile... which doesn't seem unreasonable, though I trust you on this to tell me whether it is. I'm working towards getting faster now since I don't have THAT much time and if I could pack more miles in during my runs, that would be awesome.
loquaciousjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #70  
Ilene the Bean

iDream -- Great pic, you look like an athlete!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #71  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

ok, now more than ever I support the concept of a recovery day. We planned on 4 miles this morning and I was hoping to feel awesome and tack on another mile to hit the number 5 for real. Ha. Haha. I forgot that I've only been running 4 miles for a week, after a couple months of running 2 miles, and I've almost never run two days in a row!

After the first mile or so, my legs felt like two sad walruses that were kidnapped and put in the circus. They did NOT like what I was making them do - not sore or painful, just heavy and tired and DEAD! But I muscled through!! Meanwhile Maggie was flitting ahead of me like a butterfly...

MK- thanks for going through some info on speed training again. We're thinking of signing up for an Oct. 25 5K and focusing on improving our speed for the two weeks after the 10K.
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:18 AM   #72  
Tellin' it like it is!

Loquacious--a 9 minute mile is DEFINITELY a reasonable goal!!!! SOunds like you are running just under a 10 minute mile now (for a 5k, at least) just remember, if you want to run fast, you have to practice running fast!!
Right now, based on your previous 5K time, you should be able to run a 10k in approx 1:01. if you want to run a 10K in a 9 minute mile, your finishing time will be approx 55 minutes (give or take), which means you need to be able to run a 5K in 26:50 minutes!! I hope this gives you a good yardstick to measure yourself against as you are training!! The numbers i am giving you account for the fact that a 10k is twice as long and that you naturally will run it SLIGHTLY slower than a 5K. As you are training, aim to get your 5K under 27 minutes over the course of the next couple months!
Old 10-06-2009, 10:21 AM   #73  
Tellin' it like it is!

Sharon- i had one of those runs today too!! My legs werent sore, they just had NO GO. It was a SUCKFEST! Grrrrr...... Humbling, to say the least.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #74  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Howdy, runners!
I ran in the cold windy rain yesterday evening - brrr!! But it made the bubblebath afterwards all the better.

fatpants - did you do your 5 miles? I'm thinking about giving that distance another try today as most of my runs lately have been around 4 and a half.

tc- hope the shins are feeling okay - shinsplints are such a bummer.

idream - thanks for posting your race pic - that's so fun to see and you look wonderful.

mk - sorry about the bummer run today. Must have been chilly based on the frost I see out the window.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #75  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancerindenver View Post
Howdy, runners!
I ran in the cold windy rain yesterday evening - brrr!! But it made the bubblebath afterwards all the better.

fatpants - did you do your 5 miles? I'm thinking about giving that distance another try today as most of my runs lately have been around 4 and a half.
I did not I did get in 3.5 miles before it got super windy and started to rain, but Wednesday is supposed to be FABULOUS (68, no wind!!). I tried out my tights yesterday. If you're still on the fence, definitely get some! They kept me SO warm! I wore them under some regular track pants and felt pretty warm the whole time until the very end. I'm still in need of a thermal/moisture wicking long sleeved shirt though... I've got the jacket but that and a t-shirt weren't enough.

So I found out my race on Saturday will be officially timed. I'm pretty excited. I was hoping to use this one to qualify for a wave in the BolderBoulder but I just looked at the very LAST qualifying wave for the BB 2010 and I would have to shave 5 whole minutes off of my latest 5k time in order to be in that wave! so not going to happen, but I'm excited to have an official time nonetheless. This will apparently be a very fast and flat route on pavement. I'm starting to get very excited!
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote