Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #1  
Ready to be skinny!

S/C/G: 238/221!!!/180

Height: 5'11

Default Running for a fellow fat person? :lol:

Okay,
So, I have some deep, desire of mine to run. "Well," You might say "Why don't you just do it?" Yeah i've tried that. I can't run a block. I have had crazy thoughts like this before, i'll really try on the treadmill for about a week, and then I realize that I just plain ol' can't do it. It's terrible! I run for maybe 3 minutes, and after that I feel like my heart is beating so fast I can't hear anything else, my stomach hurts, and I just want to stop. I'm serious, If I try to do that 3 minutes running and then the 3 minutes of just walking, I literally feel nauseous, and I jump of right away. I tried eating before running, and not eating. I always carry water with me, and I've tried tons of different "1 minute off 1 minute on"

Is there a "secret ingredient" to running that I don't know about? I feel like i tried everything! Please help me fellow friends...

Last edited by evieistrying09; 09-08-2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Forgot a 'a' thanks :)
evieistrying09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #2  
starting over again

Check out the c25k thread. It's a gradual program. I'm only on week 2 but so far so good.
Marms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

The C25K program worked great for me. I went into it allowing myself to repeat the weeks as many times as necessary to be comfortable with the running because at least I was still out there running.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

I agree with that mindset. To get started, I always use this rule -- stop when you need to, but don't ever walk until breathing is easy, just until it's not labored. And walk briskly, not some lazy stroll, unless you're in cooldown. So, I usually only walk one tenth of a mile or less, about 1:30 or less. But do what you need to, even if you run for one minute and walk for two. Keep at it until you're ready to up the ratio.

And if you really think you might have exercise-induced asthma or something, check with a doctor.

You can do this!
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'9.5"

The big secret is just to take it slow. Lots of people start off too fast and it gets too hard. I'm up to 25 minutes jogging...and though it might look like really fast walking to the "real runners," it's enough for right now. You'll pick up the speed quick enough if you can get the endurance down.
krp28806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #6  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

C25K. Go for it. (running to a podcast helps)

I could barely run a minute at a time back in April. Now I'm training for my 3rd 5K race. My "short" normal run is 30 minutes continuous and my long run this week will be 41 minutes. I'm slow, but I'm running. Never thought I'd be this person.

Last edited by rocketbunny; 09-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

You can definitely do this! I started C25K in early may when I was 222 pounds, and I am also 5'11 so you can see that our stats at the beginning of our running careers will be identical! If you have an iPod or mp3 player of any kind, you can get the Couch to 5 K podcasts, stick them on your iPod and off you go! There is music, and the guy explains to you how the session will go, etc. If you feel that you cannot move on to the next week, give it a try anyway because you just might suprise yourself! However, if you really CAN'T go to the next step, there is absolutely nothing wrong with repeating a day or a week. My first running experiences were exactly like yours; I was amazingly unfit in a cardiovascular sense but it is really interesting on how fast you can become more fit.

The best piece of advice that anyone has given me was to listen to my body, not my mind. And when I really did that, I would find that my body felt OK, it was my mind that was whining that I should stop and walk!

I had to stop C25K for several months because of my asthma, but I started running again last week. The first night I didn't do so well, but last night I ran over 2 miles (not consecutively) of my 3.5 mile route. By the end of the session, I felt like I could keep going. I really feel like I turned a corner.

Keep trying! I really want to learn to love to run and last night I got a tiny glimpse of it. It's enough to keep me going!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM   #8  
Ready to be skinny!

CHICKS!!!

Thank you SO much! I've kind of always heard about the C25K plan, but never actually thought twice about it...I started looking into it, and it looks great!

I'm starting tomorrow! subscribe or something to this thread, because I plan on telling you guys!!! I went on iTunes too to figure out which podcasts I like, and I can't believe how many on there are free! SO CRAZY!!! (in a good way! ) Thanks again! I'm so excited!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Go itty bitty bits and slowly increase. YOU CAN DO IT! I even did!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Wow, running one block is awesome, REALLY!! That's how we all started... So this week run one block, walk one block... next week do one and a half block run and walk one block... In a nutshell this is how the c25k works...

Go for it!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 246/See Tracker/145

Height: 5'7"

i cannot say enough good things about the C25K when I first started I could barely do a minute. I'm now on W8D1 and running 28 minutes. I'm amazed at myself. I highly recommend it.
daisy5819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #12  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

ditto what everyone else sais!! Great advice all around!! If youre feeling that incredibly uncomfortable and fatigued and out of breath when you try running, just run SLOWER.....it doesnt matte rif your *run* is slower than your walk!!! A lot of pepes think they need to go all out when they run and push as hard as they can.......thats why its so hard........even if you feel you are jogging at a ridiculously slow pace, if its a pace you can MAINTAIN, then it is the RIGHT pace!! Good luck!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #13  
Ready to be skinny!

OMG!!!
I did week one day one, and was it so exhilarating! I have never sweated that much through a whole entire workout! (Obviously, I have never really gotten into a workout, haha)

The first incriment was terribly, terribly hard, but after that it was pretty good. All of your advice was SO GOOD!!! I kept on remembering it through the whole thing. Thanks guys for the sweat, the smile, the grumbling, and most of all the BURN!!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #14  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

Yeah!! Way to go! I always say that if you have the slightest desire to run... do it!! I put it off the desire for way too long... now it is a huge part of my life! I started running around 205 lbs and was WAY out of shape... I was like you, running for one minute just totally exhausted me. But you will see SO many benefits from running! I also recommend the book "running for mortals" by John Bingham. It's a beginner running book and talks about all the right tricks, tips and tools you need to get started. Definitely worth checking out!

You are AWESOME! Running will forever change your life.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:14 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

I have been debating starting this, and think I may need to just do it. So Evie - I'll keep track of you and you can keep track of me when I start!

Anybody know where I can get (or how I can get) just a voice over that I can play along with my own music? I don't like any of the podcasts I can find. Or if anyone know where I can get like a 80's podcast - that would rock too
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote