How often to exercise?

• I just joined a gym and thought i should educate myself before i go. I've been to a gym before and they told me to do the weight machines, doing arms one day and legs the next to give the muscles time to recover and then at least 30 minutes on the elliptical or treadmill for cardio everyday. they told me 5 days per week with 2 rest days in between. like 3 days work out, rest 1 day, 2 days work out, rest 1 day. does this sound like a good plan? THANKS!
  • sounds like an EXCELLENT plan, actually! But more importantly how does it sound to YOU??
  • I think it sounds reasonable. Good luck
  • Thanks for your input! I thought it sounded ok too!
  • I think it is a great advice if you can stick to it.
    And you will only know the results after doing it for a while, so you can determinate if it worth or not to you.
  • Something I found helpful for myself is to go to the gym every day. I still have a similar work out schedule as you mentioned above with rest days, but I just built gym time into my daily routine. So on a rest day I might just do light cardio on a stationary bike while reading a book. That way i never miss a planned work out day... because I have to be at the gym every day no matter what.