3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   Running and Hunger (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/182458-running-hunger.html)

Palestrina 09-23-2009 10:21 AM

Running and Hunger

I've started a couch to 5K program and so far it's going great. I already feel stronger and more confident about my running. I'm super slow (2.7 miles in 50 minutes run/walk) but I'm doing it.

But I'm feeling super hungry these days. Do I need to add calories to my diet to keep running? I'm zig zagging between 1400-1800 and I think that's plenty at my height/weight. But I really am hungrier than I'm comfortable with. I have no idea how many calories I'm burning because I'm running and walking and it's hard to estimate.

mkroyer 09-23-2009 01:17 PM

if you are running/walking for up to 50 minutes (almost an hour a day) then i would say yes, on those days you should. thats a fairly significant amount of calories being burned........ ontop of your BMR. But prob not by more than 200 or so calories. How is your energy level?

Orchid 09-23-2009 01:59 PM

I used to run but have since switched back to doing workout tapes because it is hotter than blazes in South FL. When I used to run I used to get super hungry too and I think I ended up overeating because I have never been able to drop a size despite the fact I could run 3 miles!

I would say to make sure that you eat when you are hungry but make it fruits and vegetables and other healthy items. I think when I was running I felt like I did so much work, that I deserved it and it sabotaged me. That is my main problem, I'm active but I have often seen eating more as a reward for being active thus negating any work I had done. It is very frustrating. I really need to get rid of that mindset.

Sounds like you aren't overeating so that's good but eating fruit and veggies if you feel extra hungry would be my recommendation. I need to remember burning more calories doesn't give me a free pass on food. Good luck.

Shannon in ATL 09-23-2009 02:28 PM

I pretty much always find myself starving after a run. Don't know why, other exercise doesn't do the same thing to me. I do eat a little extra those days, or the next day would be killer. Try for protein rich items, pb&j worked well for me, or a smoothie with my whey protein, keeping the extra in the 200-250 range. It seems to help.

Palestrina 09-24-2009 10:16 AM

How do I figure out how many calories I'm burning? It seems confusing because I'm walking and running.

ddc 09-24-2009 03:48 PM

Just wanted to throw it out there-not sure if this happens to you, but the week before TOM, I'm starving. Maybe that's why you're more hungry???

Good luck :)

daniela 09-24-2009 04:15 PM

On average based on your weight you'll burn around 100 cal for every 10 min of running. Maybe a a little more depending on how fast you run but that's a good estimate. You can get a hear rate monitor (a watch and strap that goes around your chest) for a more accurate report of how many calories you burn while working out. I have the Polar FT40, I've had it since Dec and I love it! But then again I'm a techy nerd ;-)

Try eating a little more on the days you run maybe a light snack before your run like half a whole wheat english muffing with 1 tbsp peanut butter about 150-200cal. To aid in muscle recovery after your run have a mix of protein/carbs/fats. I read a glass of chocolate milk is a good choice after a run. Personally I have a protein shake after a long run that includes carb/fats (chocolate shake with, pb, & bananas).

MBN 09-25-2009 07:35 AM

Here's my rule of thumb for calorie burn: A 150 pound person burns around 100 calories per mile whether walking or running. So if you travel 3 miles, that's approximately 300 calories, no matter how long you take.

There is variation, of course, depending on intensity and body weight. You really do burn a little more with running, because you are jumping off the ground (the definition of walking vs. running is that in walking, one foot is on the ground at all times, running means you are airborne for part of the stride). So running does burn a little more because you are fighting gravity as well as propelling yourself forward. As you gain experience with running, you become more efficient with your stride, and burn a little less. And body weight is a factor - I weigh less, so I burn around 85 calories per mile (running). Someone that is heavier burns a little more simply because it takes more energy to move more weight.

But for all practical purposes, 1 mile = 100 calories is a nice round number, easy to remember, and a reasonable approximation.

daniela 09-25-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBN (Post 2942347)
Here's my rule of thumb for calorie burn: A 150 pound person burns around 100 calories per mile whether walking or running. So if you travel 3 miles, that's approximately 300 calories, no matter how long you take.

But for all practical purposes, 1 mile = 100 calories is a nice round number, easy to remember, and a reasonable approximation.

Thanks for clarifying MBN! I knew I was close with the 10min of running = 100 calories but I should have said 1 mile = 100 calories (guess that's because I do about a 10 min mile when I train).

getfitchicks 09-25-2009 01:41 PM

I'm relatively new to running (been training for about 6 months) and now am working on long distances (I'm so much more about endurance than speed!) Ever since I started the long distance runs - at a slow pace - I started getting REALLY hungry, even on days that I'm not running. The only correlation that I could find was the increase in my run time... so my unscientific answer is yes, you the running is probably causing the extra hunger and so adding some extra calories is probably a good idea. Just make sure they're "good" calories - fruits, whole grains, etc.

Also fruit is EXCELLENT for recovery - I find banana's are my favourite - eating some fruit in the first 30 minutes after your run is always a good idea.

Palestrina 09-25-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBN (Post 2942347)

There is variation, of course, depending on intensity and body weight. You really do burn a little more with running, because you are jumping off the ground (the definition of walking vs. running is that in walking, one foot is on the ground at all times, running means you are airborne for part of the stride). So running does burn a little more because you are fighting gravity as well as propelling yourself forward. As you gain experience with running, you become more efficient with your stride, and burn a little less. And body weight is a factor - I weigh less, so I burn around 85 calories per mile (running). Someone that is heavier burns a little more simply because it takes more energy to move more weight.

Well geez, I would hope that running does burn more calories than walking because frankly that's why I'm doing it! I'm super super slow apparently. It takes me 50 minutes to run/walk 2.5 miles - what should I do?