Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Question lunges and squats-Wii my fitness coach

So, I've been doing Wii my fitness coach for several months now. I really like it.
I don't think I'm doing the lunges and squats properly because nothing hurts the next day-I mean no muscle soreness even when I do many sets of each. squats, squat lunges, reverse lunges, plies all over the place, double squats, wide squats. (And what's that deal with all those leg extensions? I finally can do them without falling over but that's a completely different story.)

When you do squats and lunges do you have muscle soreness? And if so what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks
Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I had soreness from them when I began. Are you going down far enough?
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Here's a couple articles that may help too -

http://exercise.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Do_Lunges

http://exercise.lovetoknow.com/How_to_Do_Squats
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #4  

Thanks for the links. I think I'm going down pretty far. Maybe I should go find a mirror and check next time.
Sarah
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/246/140

Height: 5'4

i have been doing the same sarahyu, and feeling no pain at all, and i dont think i could go down much lower.
princess jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/181/140

It could be that your muscles are now conditioned to this movement. Add 1 pound handweights to this movement to see if it makes a difference. I'd try that for a week or two and if there still is no difference up the weight to 2 pounds.
UniquelyNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #7  

Actually, I'm using 7 pound hand weights now for both squats and lunges. but, I've never had any muscle soreness at all from doing these exercises. That's why I think I'm doing them wrong.
Sarah
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #8  

make sure your legs are straight and aligned parallel with your body when you squat. Sometimes your body repositions by itself to compensate for other weaker muscles in your body
Socialgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:22 AM   #10  

The important thing is that you focus on the correct muscle groups. If you put weight on your feet and ankles or knees, or are tilted too far forward, for example, the squats may feel easier but it's not targeting the right muscles. You should feel some firmness in the muscles under your thighs, behind your calves, etc. as you work out.

I think the articles posted above can give a more technical explanation than I can, but the key is getting the right parts of your body to provide the right resistance to the force you're putting on it. I like to think of it as sitting on a chair without the chair. Your bottom should make a 90 degree angle with the floor.

If you're using the right technique, then congratulations! You're perfectly toned
hcl777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #11  

Quote:
If you're using the right technique, then congratulations! You're perfectly toned
Ok, well I can safely say that that's not me. I'm just not doing it correctly. I think I've figured some of it out and beginning to feel it a little on squats. I think I lean too far forward. When I really focus on sitting back like in a chair when I squat instead of bending my knees I can feel the difference.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the commments. And please keep adding them as you think because I still don't have lunges right.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

When you do lunges, make sure you are stepping far enough forward (or backward if doing backward lunges). Your front leg should be at a 90 degree angle, thigh parallel to the ground, and your back knee should be about 1 inch off the ground, also a 90 degree angle. Keep your torso completely upright. You can also try pausing during the movement, once you are in the full lunge, pause before you stand back up.

For squats, make sure your feet are hip width apart, and go lower than what feels comfortable (but don't hurt yourself). I'm always surprised at how much lower I can go.

You should definitely feel it if you do them correctly. My legs are pretty darn strong, and I still feel it the next day from squats and lunges.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:47 PM   #13  

You should really be feeling the squats. Try to get down deep as if you're sitting on an imaginary chair, keep your back straight and knees level with your ankles. They are a great exercise!
Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 PM   #14  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
I would suggest doing a variation of lunges and squats... I just had a great time finding all these sites and videos, I've learned a few new ones myself
Correct. Add more variations and hold it down longer, hold and pulse (very smal movemnt) add more, stay on one side longer, count down 4-3-2 push up for the last one. Your body is getting used to it, like a mail carrier that walks all day.

Last edited by vixjean; 09-04-2009 at 11:08 PM.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 199/175/165

Height: 5'8

Vixjean has it right I can do squats and lunges all day but once I pulse it I get tired quick. Wanna great leg workout get turbo sculpt from the turbo jam series. I have lost 3 inches off each thigh in just 2 months and my muscles are looking awesome! I use 5# weight during this video. Hey I need to find weights at 6# and 7#s all I have found is 5# and then 8# anyone know were to go?
lookergirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote