3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Shoe advice?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #46

New Balance shoes are quite good. They have excellent cushioning which is very crucial in jogging and running.
ErwinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:26 AM   #47

Default athletic works

I hate wearing shoes or even socks and have completely flat feet. I have been very happy with my cheap pair of Athletic Works shoes from Walmart. I just got them, though, so they probably won't last long. But for now, they sure are comfortable.

Last edited by quietlioness : 12-16-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo!
quietlioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #48
Burn It!

S/C/G: 310.6/310.6/155

Height: 5'8

I recently went to a running store (Fleet Feet is a good one here in Ga, I'm not sure what other states) to get fitted for new shoes. I have very flat, slightly wide feet. And she told me I over-pronate (and after she showed me what that means I agreed). She measured my foot at an 8.5, I told her I've been wearing 10s and when I had been previously measured at a 9.5 and bought those shoes they made my toes go numb. She agreed we should try the 10s if that was the case. So we picked out a stability shoe to help with my over-pronation. We tried Sauconys and New Balances because those brands tend to run wide. In the past I've had some really good Sauconys (they're what I'm currently using, but I've worn them waaay out). But the Sauconys I tried in the store had a seam near the heal that bothered me (I have crazy sensitive feet). The New Balance shoes fit great. I'm getting them for Christmas and can't way to take a Christmas day jog in them!

*Note- I have no idea why I wear a shoe size so much bigger than what my feet are measured at. When you try on shoes definitely try them on the treadmill, be picky! If they feel tight now, imagine how badly they'll be rubbing a mile down the road.

Overall:

Last edited by Aclai4067 : 12-16-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 AM   #49

S/C/G: 235/145

Height: 5'8

Does anyone here use fitness shoes? Like Sketchers ShapeUps? I am interested if they actually help.
KellyBean88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #50

S/C/G: 186/155/maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Shape-Ups do work and can be good for your posture, but it's important you do some sort of exercise as well. Just wearing the shoes during normal activities is good, but not good enough to really get you in shape. You need to do more/faster walking, or even do the exercise video that comes with the shoes.

Also, you do not want to jog in your Shape-Ups.

Maintaining Size 8, 39-29-39
Striving for functional fitness!
stella1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #51

I have a couple of pairs of the Shape-ups, they're really good for fitness walking. I prefer to walk instead of jog because of bone spurs, and the rocker bottom design is really comfortable!

There are a lot of good reviews on the skechers website, and it looks like they have some new colors, some sandals, and men's Shape-ups too!

At first I thought it was kind of a gimmick, but I've been feeling the burn in my legs, thighs, butt and even in my sides and stomach when I walk more than a few miles in them. I think they're great.
Zoerella00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #52

Thank you for this thread. I had a dilemma...

Texas de Brazil vs. New Running Shoes

And now I'd decided to invest in a good pair of shoes. Thank you!
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #53

Going to a running store is your best bet. The shoes are more expensive but it's money well spent and you won't regret it one bit. I work with GE's Pledge For Better Health and I've been running a lot more as part of my pledge to incorporate more exercise in my life. I just got fitted for new shoes (new Balance) recently and it makes all the difference. My goal is to be able to run a 10K by National Women's Health Week.
DistrictLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #54
Ninja-In-Training

S/C/G: 321/291/200

Height: 5'4"

Generally, my opinion is what everyone else said- go to a running store and get fitted. It's easy, and no one really looks at you funny or anything, even if you're bigger. I think most people working at places like that will respect you much more for coming in and attempting to get control of your fitness, than being ashamed and staying away.

Also, most running stores will gladly exchange shoes if they don't work out. I went in and bought a nice, shiny new pair of asics (which continually get good reviews) ...wore them at the gym for the next two days and wanted to cry after a minute of running...and I'd been running a 14 minute mile in my old shoes. So I took them back, and exchanged them for a pair of Mizunos and I haven't had a pain anywhere. Just goes to show that everyone has different needs, and though the Asics were cushy...they were too cushy for me. Also, since I have wide feet, the salesperson actually brought out a men's shoe that was a size and a half smaller than my normal women's size. And they don't pinch on the sides- I would never have thought to do that!

It's worth it to go to a specialty running store- and a lot of them will do a gait analysis for free. Also, most of the shoes they sell are retail price...and if you're gonna spend $100 or more on shoes, they'd better not hurt!

Last edited by spunkygizmo : 05-10-2010 at 09:06 PM.
spunkygizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #55

Thanks for the suggestions. I have also heard that New Balance is good too in running and walking.
goodhealthmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #56
Boston Qualifier and MOM

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/?

Height: 5'3.75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhealthmed View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I have also heard that New Balance is good too in running and walking.
I would NOT go to a New Balance store though. New Balance are great shoes, no question. If they fit YOUR feet. Go to a running store that carries all the brands and try on several brands. Often I will think one brand feels good and then I try on another and think WOW!

Also, good running stores will take exchanges if you get them home and after a week or so you realize they are not working for you. Customer service is their bread and butter. NB stores will as well, but if NB doesnt work for your feet, then you have fewer options.

I've already exchanged one pair of shoes this year (Saucony - felt good in store, but gave me blisters) and I am about to return a second pair (Nikes - felt good in store, but causing my metatarsalgia to flare, too stiff).
On the other hand I have purchased 5 pairs so far this year so they are doing ok off of me.

FWIW I run in Brooks and Mizuno right now but was an Asics girl for years. Your feet, your gait - things will change over time and years and the manufacturers change their standards as well. Get completely refitted if you gain or lose significant weight or have a baby. Get refitted periodically (every year or two) if nothing has changed

My before/after pics
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:34 PM   #57
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

can anyone suggest a running shoe store I'm not sure what a real running shoe store would be I need to google if there are any around here but I need some name suggestions of the good ones Thanks in advance!
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #58
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

what are some names of running shops I don't know of any around here everyone says running shop is that what it's called? I need shoes bad too.

oh guess i already posted that need help!

Last edited by going2bskinny : 07-29-2010 at 02:42 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:03 PM   #59

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'10"

There's no real running shoe stores in my area. I would have to drive approximately 2 hours for the nearest one. However, there is a Rogan's Shoes store closer. I don't think they solely specialize in running shoes though.

Is anyone familiar with Rogans? Should I take the the dive and just drive the 2 hours to a real store?
ServerNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #60

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'10"

Well I went to the top rated running store (2 hr drive) in my area and was referred to a certified pedorthist because of my very flat/wide feet. Disappointing, but I'll look into getting orthotics like advised.
ServerNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.