Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 176/SW 163/CW ticker/GW 120

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Why isn't this getting any easier??

So I always thought that the more "in shape" I get, the easier it would be to run. Except that this has NEVER been true for me. Even when I was running 4.5 miles about 3-4 times a week in college, I still ALWAYS wanted to die after the first 1/2 mile. The trick was just whether or not I could actually push through that death-feeling and trick myself into going just a little bit farther and then a little bit farther.
Flash forward to today and I'm trying to get myself back on track. A couple weeks ago I pushed through to 4.7 miles (have never been able to crack the magic 5), Thursday I did my first 5K (27 mins 53 seconds! yay!), which was significantly less than the 5 miles I've been shooting for. And even that nearly killed me. Last night I went slowly to try and sustain but had to walk at 3.5 miles. I still want to die every single step after the first 1/2 mile, and it's a real struggle just to keep going. Oftentimes I have to quit well before my target distance or time.
Why isn't this getting any easier? Does it ever get easier? Will I ever just be able to whip out 2.5 to 3 miles easy without hating it and feeling like I won't make it every step of the way?!?
sws19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #2  
Back on the wagon

S/C/G: 205/162/125

Height: 5'1"

holy COW girl, you're going FAST! i started at a whopping 17 minute mile walk, and have worked up to an 11-min mile - but it's taken me about a year to do it. at this point, though, i can run 6-7 miles and feel good. the first mile is always the toughest, but i never feel like i'm going to die.

have you tried slowing down (but maintaining a run) to be able to go farther without hurting?
kuhljeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:08 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I couldn't tell, how long have you been running this time?

I started C25K in August, finished in October. Although I was obviously getting better and better all the time, it wasn't until January that I got past most of the discomfort, physical or mental.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/111/103

Height: 5'1

Maybe you just don't like to run. It was the same way for me for years, it didn't change until I truely decided to embrace running. I set goals for myself, registered for events etc and made it exciting to run because I knew I was working towards something. Also building more muscle will help you have more energy to run, so try some weight training if you don't already. But ultimatly if you don't want to be running you'll just be counting down the minutes until you're done, making it not so pleasant.
sm177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #5  

thanks for all your input.
kuhljeanie: so here's the thing, i *think* i just get tired and bored. and i always need to slow down, no matter what speed i start at. so, oddly enough, i found i can go farther if i do sprint intervals every 4 minutes for the first 2 miles or so, and then just do a solid steady 10-12 minute mile for the remaining 2 or 2.5 miles (for a total 4-4.5 miles). at first i logically thought that if i could do that, then if i just started out at the 10-12 minute mile in the first place that i'd be able to go for even longer. but this was not so. if i start out at that pace, i still feel like i need to slow it down or die by the end of mile 1 and actually do so by the end of mile 2. since it's a weird combination of both tired AND bored, if i were to start out at a pace less than 10 min/mile, i think i'd probably cap out after like 2 miles anyway. i haven't actually tried this though.
JulieJ08: this time around i had a couple of non-starters that didn't take over the last two years. i finally started in earnest in august with 2 miles, worked up to 3 miles by october and have been stuck in this 3-4.5 mile rut ever since. when i was doing this in college, i was doing 4.5 miles for about a year and it never really eased up. i wonder if maybe part of the problem is that i don't go frequently enough. only about twice a week, three on a good week. do you think it would be better to do 1.5 to 2 miles more frequently rather than 4.5 miles about twice a week?
and sm177: you're right. i hate running. unfortunately i keep doing it because i feel like it's the most bang for my buck (i hate working out in general) other than swimming. and swimming is not easily accessible.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #6  

aack! i totally just misspoke about the times when i said 10-12 minute miles. i had a brain fart when translating the speed to miles per minute.
what i really mean is that i generally go between 9min40sec mile to 10min mile.

the reason i went so fast (just about or a little less than 9 minute mile) for the 5K is because it was a race (my first!). so i felt like i should try and push a little faster or something.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #7  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

If you want to go farther, then you need to go slower. If you maintain a slow, steady pace that feels comfortable, then you should be able to go much longer.

But ... it sounds that you don't enjoy the process of running. And you know, most days, I'm not sure that I love the process of running either. And I run an average of 25-30 miles per week. So why do I do it? I run to burn calories, to meet goals that I've set (speed / distance), and to train for races. I LOVE the races!! I enjoy running with my group on Sunday morning long run day, the miles just fly by while we're discussing everything under the sun and solving the world's problems. My solo runs are "me" time, where I can think, listen to the radio, or watch TV (while on the treadmill). And I always feel great when I'm done .... energized, happy, productive.

But running is still hard. Getting started is hard, especially the first mile or two. Anytime I push myself to go faster or longer, it's hard. But hard is also good for me, and I enjoy all of the benefits that come from it and that's why I stick with it. And once in a while ... I do find myself in that "zone" where everything clicks and running seems almost effortless. But that is the exception. Most of the time, I've just learned to enjoy "hard".

So you have to decide whether the effort of running is worth the benefits to you. Or find something else that you like to do ...because if you keep feeling that you hate it, then you may not be able to stick with it long term.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #8  

Quote:
So you have to decide whether the effort of running is worth the benefits to you. Or find something else that you like to do
This.

As for your specific questions and concerns-- Yes, you probably need more days a week if you want to increase your mileage. Lots of people find that the first half-mile or mile stinks; it takes a few minutes to get everything in gear when we start running (regardless of walking warmup). Go slower to go longer. If your 5K was on roads/trails/any other form of real world and your training is, at it appears, on the treadmill, part of why you feel like crap now is because you worked a LOT harder in the race than you have been training.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #9  

no no i feel fine afterwards. i feel awesome. that's the only reason i'm ever able to motivate: because i know i'll feel good about myself afterwards and it's the only way i'll be able to lose weight. but it's the actually doing it part that's the absolute pits.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #10  

FWIW, when I have two or more nonspecifically lousy runs in a row (like last night, when I discovered that I had absolutely no legs even though I felt good and was looking forward to the run) it's my first clue that my shoes are going.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

yes, absolutely you should try going 1-2 miles on other days and not have EVERY run be your longest run of the week. Instead of 2 4.5 mile runs a week I would suggest maybe 2 2mile runs, 1 3-mile run and 1 4.5-mile run.

If you race a 5K at 9 mm, then most of the rest of your runs should be SIGNIFICANTLY slower than that. The 10-12 mm you mispoke would actually be a better pace for the majority of your runs.

As for motivation - sign up for more events, and longer ones. I dont like the first 2-3 miles most days. Thats why I run LONGER. But I run a LOT slower relatively. I'll run the bulk of my training runs at about 9:45 -10 mm. But I can RACE the 5K in under 23 minutes.

Go slower to go farther
Go farther to go faster.

Oh...and try to find a training partner. Nothing to be bored about if you talk the whole way.

Last edited by ennay; 02-17-2009 at 03:09 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have been upping my running the last few days. I was dying with side stitches and a few days ago I read about how to prevent them--deeper breathing and pursing your lips as you exhale. I was able to run 4 miles + this morning just doing this alone. That is up from 3 miles before. I bet tomorrow I can get to five. This morning I could have gone further but was out of time--had to get kids out the door to school. Good luck!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/Ticker/130

Height: 5' 5.5", age 59

I was going to suggest looking into breathing techniques too...breathing is very important. Also, are you eating enough for the running? Could it be that you just don't have enough fuel to power yourself through?
recidivist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #14  

thanks for all the tips, ladies! i KNOW that i need to shoes and am working on it. just need to make the time to go to the store and make it happen.
same goes for the working out my frequently. i just seem to have trouble fitting it into my lifestyle, but maybe it'll be easier if i go for shorter spurts. as it stands, when i go to the gym, i'm there for an hour and a half. by the time i get home and showered it's too late for me to go out on a weeknight. i have it pared down to just a couple nights a week so as to salvage some semblance of a social life. maybe if i was only just doing a 2 mile quickie i could do both gym AND go out. hmm...
as for the finding a buddy thing. many people have suggested this to me but i'm skeptical. i know that research shows you do better if you have a friend to hold you accountable. but for myself, for no reason i can understand, i find that i do worse on days when there are other people in the gym with me rather than when i have the whole place to myself. at least in the beginning. if the other people show up after mile 2 then i'm usually ok through to 4 miles. but if they're there earlier, i usually peter out at 3. and also, it's very strange, but watching tv makes me worse as well. i think it's something about the energy i spend following what's going on on the show (ha!). i don't know. i'm sure it's probably all in my head, but these are just patterns that i've noticed about myself.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #15  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post

But running is still hard. Getting started is hard, especially the first mile or two. Anytime I push myself to go faster or longer, it's hard. But hard is also good for me, and I enjoy all of the benefits that come from it and that's why I stick with it. And once in a while ... I do find myself in that "zone" where everything clicks and running seems almost effortless. But that is the exception. Most of the time, I've just learned to enjoy "hard".

gotta tell you... I posted almost this exact thread.... and this was the answer I got. it felt reassuring to me.

many months later I am still really feeling the HARD in the first 1-2 miles, sometimes 3-4 but I do often, not always, find the "zone" and it regularly gets downright pleasant.

kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote