Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/150

Height: 5'7''

Default Eating before and after work out

I usually get up around 545 in the morning come home from the boyfriends house and do my 4 mile WATP dvd and then get ready for work but I'm curious as to if I should be eating before I exercise? I really dont have that much time as it it since I get home around 6am, finish exercising at 7 and have to be to work by 8. If I should be eating before I exercise what should it be? Is it going to just ruin everthing if I dont eat before hand? I eat breakfast every morning afterwards and I'm not starving or feeling weak during exercise currently.

Thanks!
Scarletbegonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:10 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/138/130

Height: 5'5

the only thing i may be worried about is that your body may not be working to its full potential when you do the workouts without food...since your body has been without food for up to 9hours (roughly)it needs food to get going. the only thing is, you don't want to eat too much before you workout so ya don't throw up. Ill have to look into this a bit more and get back to you as to what foods to suggest. I'm thinking maybe some yogurt with some granola while your on your way home????
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:29 PM   #3  

If you feel okay doing what you're doing, you're fine.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/143/115

Height: 61 inches

The diet I'm doing says it's better to work out on an empty stomach, and have your meal after. But I'm sure the effectiveness of this could be different for everyone. I don't eat before I work out cause I feel sick if I do, so I eat after. If you feel okay doing it the way you are now, I agree with Maria, keep doing that!
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Lately if i eat right before a workout I get a stitch..pain in the side while working out..and its hurts like bloody ****! I ate a granola bar about 30 mins before a class at the gym and even that hurt. I now try to eat an hour or more before i workout..In your case you cannot so I'd just stick to eating after..however that said.........If you begin to feel dizzy eat something teeny before.

Last winter I went out shovelling snow without eating, two Saturday mornings in a row..and on both mornings (the second one was the scariest) I must have over exerted myself or my blood sugar went down...When I came in I became really dizzy and nauseous so I just stumbled to my room and collapsed on my bed..called out to my sis to get me some water and a banana.

After that Saturday I didn't go out until I ate before..so just be careful!

Last edited by angelanicole23; 01-31-2009 at 05:02 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:41 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Dont worry about it. It's more important to fuel after than before.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 PM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I read if you work out in the morning- it's better to work out first THEN eat. Burns the fat from your body since you body has no energy stores lined up.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 210/138/130

Height: 5'5

Your body wakes up in starvation mode. depending on the type of workout you are doing in the morning, you will NOT be working out to your maximum and not be productive in your fat loss. Eating is a very important part of your weight loss journey. Try a few different things..and eat them as early as possible in the morning to prevent any possible cramps.
Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #9  
No description available.

I run at 5 in the morning on an empty stomach and have been quite productive with my fat loss. I don't eat before my 5 am runs. If I did, my choices would be to get up at 4 am so it would have time to digest or eat immediately before the run, in which case I would feel sick. I think it is pretty individual. Do what works for you.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 PM   #10  
Always Learning

Height: 5'5"

I like to eat after I work out because if I eat anything before I feel sick. I think that if what your doing is working for you to keep at it.

Last edited by 8675309; 01-31-2009 at 06:33 PM.
8675309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 200/150

Height: 5'7''

Thanks for all the advice. Maybe Ill try to find something easy and light I can snack on in the car. Fruit or cheese just a little something to get me going before the work out. I don't ever feel sick when I'm working out or afterwards, I drink water through out the work out and contine that through the day. My b/f says protein before and after, but he's trying to bulk up/body build and I'm trying to lose so I'm not sure if it'd be the same combo for me as it is him...
Scarletbegonias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #12  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

eat something small before and the larger breakfast after
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
work out first THEN eat. Burns the fat from your body since you body has no energy stores lined up.
Generally we have enough glycogen in our muscles for around 2 hours of hard exercise and that's what we burn. Our bodies can't efficiently burn fat as fuel. (And all of this kind of relates to the fat-burning-exercise myth.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:31 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/143/115

Height: 61 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Your body wakes up in starvation mode.
Seriously? I'm really wondering if this is true! I've never heard of that... I didn't think 9-10 hours, depending on when you stop eating and how much sleep you get, is going to put you into starvation mode. I always thought days worth of bad nutrition would. I'm not trying to be mean or say you're wrong, I honestly don't know ( I probably still have a lot to learn about dieting haha). Does the body really wake up starving?
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 PM   #15  
lisa34t

S/C/G: 231/ticker/160-175

Height: 5"3

I usually eat after my workout...it seems if i eat first i just burn that energy and im hungry again very soon after my work out and i dont want that!
lisa34t is offline   Reply With Quote