3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Exercise!

Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #16

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Gymlee, congratulations on your hard work. I don't think anyone is trying to be negative, just concerned. It is great that you pushed yourself, but you wouldn't want to make it a habit of pushing yourself too terribly hard as it can be detrimental to your health. Keep up the hard work but do take care of yourself.

jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I've been nauseous before after a work out and honestly I felt like crap the rest of the day but I was bound and determined to finish. If I would have felt better I would have kicked myself for doing that to my body lol It's one thing to push on in your workout when you don't want to do it and I understand the excitement of that though but in all reality all puking means is that you have over extended your body and it's something you don't want to try and do!

I'm glad to see it's something you didn't really set out to do but you gotta admit you were leaving yourself open for debate with your OP

"The most exciting, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself."

My fan page on facebook! www.facebook.com/taneeisfitforlife
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #18
To fly like Nadia again

S/C/G: 242/ticker/115

Height: 5' 0.5"

I guess I wasn't as clear as I needed to be. And I'm sorry what does OP mean?? I'm still learning all these abbreviations.

Over 50 pounds lost so far!

"You can tell me that you CHOOSE to quit. That you CHOOSE to be LESS than what you ARE and LESS than what GOD INTENDED, but DON'T EVER TELL ME that you CAN'T do it."
Jillian Michaels
gymlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:08 PM   #19

S/C/G: 255/see tracker/180

Height: 5 ft 7 in

Original or Opening Post

jademarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
To fly like Nadia again

Thanks Jade!!!!

"You can tell me that you CHOOSE to quit. That you CHOOSE to be LESS than what you ARE and LESS than what GOD INTENDED, but DON'T EVER TELL ME that you CAN'T do it."
Jillian Michaels
Old 01-25-2009, 10:21 PM   #21
cher37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymlee View Post
Oh of course. I wasn't planning on making working out til I puke a daily endeavor.... I was doing the high intensity portion of my work out and I this time around I ended up puking I pushed so hard. That's basically what happened. I just happen to proud of the fact that I pushed hard and puking was the by-product.
YOU GO GIRL!!! I couldn't help but read your thread when I saw the title When I used to kick-box , we did this exercise called "the ground & pound" and all I can say is that the lovingly called "chuck bucket" was always nearby!

Vomitting under intense muscular exercise is b/c of an increase the production of lactic acid - which could sometimes be a danger sign (and yes ladies, we underwent a physical prior to being approved for intense cardio kick-box training & had professionals nearby) so just make sure that you've got a clean bill of health to workout!

Have fun & here's a tip to keeping the vomitting at a minimum, don't eat for 2 hours prior to working out (have a small 'snack' ie. lean turkey breast on ww bread & apple, and try to avoid dairy until after your workout)

/cher
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 PM   #22
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm really tired of the loose use of the word toxin as well. If we all had toxins, we'd be dead. The body is pretty efficient at cleaning itself up.
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 PM   #23
To fly like Nadia again

Thanks Cher!!!! When I last went to the doctor back in December she said I was perfectly fine to exercise and she actually encouraged it. Not to the point of getting sick or anything but she encouraged getting physically active. I did 90 minutes today so by the time I got to the high intensity portion of my I was 50-55 mins into the exercise and over 2 hours from having eaten since I ate approximately an hour to and hour and a half before exercising. But thanks for the tip! I think I ended up getting sick from the fluctuation of my heart rate. I was rotating high high intensity (sparring, plyometics) with moderate (squats against the wall, push ups) level stuff and my heart rate was going up to 185 down to 165 back up to 185 and back down so it was the variation that probably got me.

Jillian Michaels
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #24

This happened to me too at my first body pump class about a year ago. Just like you it was at the end of the class. I also didn't really know it was going to happen. Luckily, these days, my body is more used to being pushed and doesn't respond quite like that anymore!
kelleyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #25

S/C/G: 294/230/168

Height: 5"6

I was sick last week after working out for two hours. I work out regularly and have done for years - this was the first time it had happened to me. I put it down to pushing myself beyond my usual limits that night and also down to the heat in the gym.

I have to say it worried me when it happened and I had a couple of days rest from exercise afterwards before getting back to it. That was probably a good thing for me to do as I am always being told that i do far too much exercise and rest is essential as well. It was a bit of a wake up call for me, to be honest. Thankfully, hasn't happened since - wasn't exactly pleasant!!!

I trust myself. I have started so I will finish. I am succeeding.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 PM   #26
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ever been at the end of a 5K? A LOT of fast runners vomit. For some people it just happens when you get close to your limits, others dont.

It is not something you want to strive for on a daily basis, if for no other reason than the body needs to work at different intensity levels from one day to the next. You can't operate at "race intensity" day after day after day or the body begins to break down

But chill out people, if it happens once it is no big deal and not a sign of bulemia or purging. It is a sign of pushing to the limit. Now she will start to have a better feel for where the limit is and be able to work within it.

Some people are just more prone to exercise induced puking than others. I've never puked after a 5K (although I've often wanted to), I know others who do every dang race. As long as it isnt becoming a regular thing dont sweat it and congrats for pushing yourself.

Journey to the next decade:

New "decades":

Last edited by ennay; 01-31-2009 at 06:40 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #27
To fly like Nadia again

Aw thanks ennay. Yea it only happend that time and since then I've had a couple boughts in the gym where I felt myself getting close to my limit doing sprints on the treadmill that I decided to drop back to keep myself from puking. Luckily it was towards the end of the work out and I was only going to do another sprint or two to see if I could get the runner's high I got the last time. But since I had already accomplished the number of sprints I wanted to I stopped because there was no reason to get sick when I already pushed myself to where I wanted to go already for that day. I've been suffering with incredibly bad TOM cramps and I've been lucky I can walk so I haven't been to the gym. I'm hoping to get back tomorrow though with no puking

Jillian Michaels
Old 02-02-2009, 10:16 AM   #28
FB

Eh - I get what you mean. It's the same sort of perverse pride I feel when I've trained my lower body so hard I walk like Robo Cop for three days, barely able to get out of a chair. Rocks and sucks all at once.

A heart rate monitor is a great way to prevent accidental vomiting. I know this well. I love cycling at top breakneck speeds.

Last edited by FB; 02-02-2009 at 10:18 AM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:52 AM   #29
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I get it too. You Go Girl.

Calorie Counting Back to Maintenance Weight
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #30

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I don't know that anyone was saying that a single event was harmful, rather the pride and enthusiasm described in the OP made it sound to many of us like it very likely was going to be an ongoing goal, especially with the quote, "If you're not puking, you're just not working hard enough."

Without that quote, or if the OP had made it clear that vomiting wasn't going to be an ongoing target, the replies to the post probably would have been much different.

http://www.dreamstormdesigns.etsy.com
etsy link by permission from 3fc! Want to add yours? Ask them!

Last edited by kaplods; 02-02-2009 at 03:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote