Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/197/123

Height: 5'1"

Default Hope for me?

Is there any hope for me?! I am only 5'1" and carry all my weight on my chest and belly. My chest is really large, my belly even larger. I was an athlete in high school (Just 5 years ago) and I have extremely strong thigh and calf muscles. Running is SUCH a problem for me! I have tried the couch-to-5k... Thinking of trying it again! I am still pretty heavy, 197 (maybe a few pounds less, weigh in is tomorrow!) and I get so winded. I can walk at a 15 incline, do the elliptical in my sleep, as well as the arc trainer and bike... no problem. But when it comes to running, I have a real difficult time. Do you think I should wait until I lose a little weight? I finally found a great Sports Bra and actually jogged for 4 minutes straight my first day with it.... but since then, 1-2 minutes is all I can jog at a time. I don't feel like I am that badly out of shape... I can do laps in the pool, mountain climb, walk up and down stairs & hills just fine...
I am just wondering-Do you think there are some people that running just isn't cut out for? Like no matter what, cannot get in shape when it comes to running? My Grandfather, who passed away, competed in full Marathons for years... I really want to be just like him and make him proud! I'm just not sure if it is possible....
WannaBe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #2  
No description available.

I think if you can jog for 1 minute, jog for one minute, walk to recover, jog for one minute, walk to recover. etc., until you can jog for 70 seconds, walk to recover, etc., and work up slowly.

When I started running, I could barely jog the straight side of a high school track. But I jogged and recovered and it took weeks before I could finally jog 400 meters without walking and now I can run miles and miles.

You can do it! Take it slow, be consistent, stretch, get GOOD shoes, allow recovery days.

Have you checked out the Couch to 5K program?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #3  
Dorm Dieter

There's hope!!!

You were once an athlete, your body knows what it's like to exercise, it's just that running is different from what you're used to. I agree with midwife, do what you can, recover, do more, recover, and so on and so forth. You'll build up endurance and before you know it you'll be running a 20 minute circuit without being winded !

And don't get discouraged because you get so tired doing running. It's a high impact exercise and recovering from the jolt of the step causes you to expend more energy than just walking, and it starts to hurt so much faster.

Bottom line- YOU CAN DO IT!!!
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:49 AM   #4  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I couldn't even make it 60 seconds when I first started running. And I was SLOW! Now I can run 3 miles at a 9-10 minute pace. It does get easier as the weight comes off and you gain more muscle but I made it to 2 miles when I was still 200 pounds, so there is definitely hope! If you found a good sports bra it will make all the difference.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote