Running/Exercise Mantra: What do you tell yourself to keep going?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • When it gets tough and its freezing cold and I just want to turnaround and go home I tell myself that I'm allowed to struggle, I'm even allowed to cry but I can't quit. For some reason this helps me.

Do you have any phrase that keeps you pushing when you are beyond what you consider your physical/mental limits?
  • i tell myself that if i quit ill feel bad the rest of the day .. but if i keep going ill feel GREAT all day .
  • Quote: When it gets tough and its freezing cold and I just want to turnaround and go home I tell myself that I'm allowed to struggle, I'm even allowed to cry but I can't quit. For some reason this helps me.
    That's brilliant. I'm going to start telling myself that.
  • If I'm on my way to the gym and REALLY don't want to go, I trick myself and say "it's okay, you only have to do 15 minutes cardio" or something like that. Then when I'm there of course I feel like doing more.

When I'm actually running on the treadmill and feel like dying, I repeat "you didn't get fat by running, you didn't get fat by running" over and over.

Works for me!

~CGH~
  • "Size 6 Levis"
    "If you stop now, you'll have to call for a ride home."
    "Are you a midwife, or a mouse?" (Yes, I really ask myself that!)
  • Quote: If I'm on my way to the gym and REALLY don't want to go, I trick myself and say "it's okay, you only have to do 15 minutes cardio" or something like that. Then when I'm there of course I feel like doing more.

When I'm actually running on the treadmill and feel like dying, I repeat "you didn't get fat by running, you didn't get fat by running" over and over.

Works for me!

~CGH~
    I love this it made me smile. I like the tricking yourself as well.

Disgruntled: I like the logic behind the calculating the percentage of your day, that is brilliant. You must be numbers person.

Midwife: I like that too. When I started out I also used to visualize myself running towards my thinner fitter self.
  • My problem is *going* running, not keeping on after I've started. I never skip because I only run 3 days a week as it is (some time this year that will be 4), and I am just afraid of deconditioning. I remind myself that I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to go through the first half of C25K EVER EVER EVER again. The beginning period is terrible.
  • Some days I don't need any extra motivation because it just feels really good to be out there running. Other days I tell myself "Hate the run...LOVE the DONE" because I know how good I will feel when I actually accomplish my running goal for that day. Corny, but it helps me!
  • Quote:
    I remind myself that I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to go through the first half of C25K EVER EVER EVER again.
    This.

I didn't do C25K but regardless of program, the first few weeks or months just suck so very much. So no matter how lazy I'm being I try to get out often enough to keep a base of around three miles. They might be three very slow and shuffley miles that feel lousy toward the end, but they're there.

Then again, if I actually do go out (which is my problem) and start running and it just isn't working, I'm willing to quit and walk home.
  • Quote: Any time I don't want to work out or I want to quit I think about this....(I workout one hour a day) this workout is only .04% of your day(24 hrs in a day) how freaking hard can that be! And I work out 5 days a week so its only .03% of the week!
    I like that too... I should ramble those numbers out when someone complains that they don't have time for a workout...
  • Quote: My problem is *going* running, not keeping on after I've started. I never skip because I only run 3 days a week as it is (some time this year that will be 4), and I am just afraid of deconditioning. I remind myself that I NEVER NEVER NEVER want to go through the first half of C25K EVER EVER EVER again. The beginning period is terrible.
    This is the EXACT reason I run outside all winter long. It really keeps my conditioning up and it makes all those nice springtime/summer/fall runs so much nicer. I don't ever want to have to start over again.
  • It depends on the day and how I'm feeling. If I don't want to get started, I also use the mind trick of "just run a little" to get out there, knowing that I'll always go farther once I get going.

When I'm on a training run, I use several tactics. I try to distract myself with other things -- like listening to the radio, so I'm not focused on the effort of running. Or, tell myself that it doesn't matter how long it takes, or how slow I go, I'm going to get the same calorie burn - just go the distance. I usually do my really long run with a group now, which helps a lot. I try never to think about how far I have to go, just look at the next mile, or the next street, the next small segment of the run. Then the next, then the next. The end will come.

In a race setting, when I'm on my own, and don't take a radio or iPod, I just try to stay relaxed and light on my feet, watch my posture (no hunching over) and focus on one mile at a time. I try to live in that moment, and not think about how far I have to go or the effort I'm feeling. I rejoice in the fact that I'm OUT there, able to move and run freely. So many others can't, and not so long ago, I couldn't either!! So even on the days that are a real struggle ... I am grateful that I can run. It changes my perspective!

And I know that when I finish -- I will feel GREAT!
  • It's mostly I just look at all the stuff I got at the Anime Convention last year (I'm trying to lose weight so I have more energy this year when I go), or I flip through the prom dress catolouge I got in the mail.
    I also have these forums as my homepage, so that helps.
    When I'm bored and I want to procrastinate and do random stupid internet stuff, I log on and see this and go "Oh.... right...." and pop in "30 Day Shred" or something. :3
  • Quote: This is the EXACT reason I run outside all winter long. It really keeps my conditioning up and it makes all those nice springtime/summer/fall runs so much nicer. I don't ever want to have to start over again.
    Ditto, ditto, ditto!!! Nothing is WORSE than getting INTO shape. I would rather slog through to keep some semblance of cardio endurance than to start all over again.
  • i love the "you didn't get fat by running" line, i am storing that one for my own personal use!

i too have the problem of actually GETTING OUT there to run, so i will put on my gym clothes and stretch lightly in front of the tv for a half hour - then it's almost like, well, i have the outfit on, might as well go! once at the gym, when i start getting tired i will think "you're going to be home laying in bed tonight either way, so you better just do a good run and be proud of yourself instead of quitting early!". skipping through songs on my zune every 30-60 seconds helps too on the really tough nights.