Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6.5

Default Arms and upper legs! PLEASE HELP!! :)

Well, hello out there! I haven't logged onto 3FC in what seems like forever (although it's only been a few weeks.) Life just got crazy and other things became priority. I even stopped paying attention to the scale and somehow it has gone down! (Again, everything has been crazy....issues at work/home...I think my stress level had to do with loosing a couple of pounds!) For those of you who know me, I have finally reached the 150's!!!!

I have kept up working out as much as possible and am going to Cabo next Friday!!! I'm feeling really great about how I look/feel right now but I would love for you exercise gu-roos to give me some quick tips on toning my arms and my upper legs...like the part right below your butt! I already run, and lift hand weights. Should I pick up the running more? Do some special leg exercises? Any one have any quick tips that I can throw myself into for two weeks to really see results in those two areas?
JamieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I would recommend body weight exercises:

For arms:
Pushups
Tricep Dips
Pullups (if you have something to do these on, if you aren't strong enough, you can have someone help you for assisted pullups)

For legs:
Lunges
Squats
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM   #3  
Captain Prescriptivism

S/C/G: 235/180/135

Height: 5'3"

Wall sits and frog jumps have also worked out for me well as far as upper legs go.
ImpalaHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Jamie Jo--good for you that you have managed to continue your success. Have fun in Cabos. Be sure to visit Cabo Wabo!

Like you, I am looking to add something to my running. I am starting now the 30 DS using the weights. I am going to look over this thread and see what I can manage.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  

The front of my legs are VERY toned, almost a little too much for my liking...my problem area is the back of my legs... Do you think I should continue with squats/lunges for that back area? It just doesn't seem to be toning up like my front and inner legs are!! ERR!!

I have been doing pushups and the triceps dips....also squatting and lunges, but I've backed off the squatting and lunges because I feel like my upper legs are getting a little balky...? I'm going to have to look up what the frog jumps are....if they are what I'm thinking, this could be pretty amusing!!

Please, keep the ideas coming today!

Thighs, (Hi!) Did you get some silvers YET?!?!! tee hee

I have the 30 DS at home too, but I didn't stick with it.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Lunges, squats, wall squats, deadlifts, step-ups...3 sets of 15-20 reps, 2x/week...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #7  

Even for the back of my legs?
Old 01-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
Even for the back of my legs?
The back of the legs, butt, hamstrings? Yes, those are very good exercises all around...

Last edited by Ilene; 01-07-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #9  
No description available.

Here's a hamstring exercise:

Kneel down and have someone anchor your feet/ankles to hold them in place. Fall forward as if you are going into pushup position with your knees on the ground. Go down onto your hands (like a pushup--elbows bent, chest touching the floor) and push up a little bit for some momentum, but then engage your hamstrings to pull you back up to the starting position. The less momentum you give yourself pushing off the ground, the more your hamstrings will have to work.

ETA: I advise putting a towel under your knees or people will wonder why you have rugburns on your knees.

Last edited by midwife; 01-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #10  
Dorm Dieter

Take the stairs, but run/trot up them like you have to go to the bathroom. I don't know how many stair there are in your life, but i go up 3 flights of stairs about 5-7 times a day. Since then my legs have gotten rock hard and very shapely (now the only problem is my inner thigh). If you've got no stairs, try a stair master, or do some high knees and lunges while you do your running.
huggamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJo View Post
Please, keep the ideas coming today!

Thighs, (Hi!) Did you get some silvers YET?!?!! tee hee

I have the 30 DS at home too, but I didn't stick with it.
I didn't purchase the 30DS but did find it on my ON DEMAND--so parts 1 and 2 are free for me. I am hoping to stick with it.

As for your legs, the back on my thighs are now at least smooth. They still measure 22.25 inches each but they are firm and smooth. I run intervals 3x's a week and straight jog 3 miles the other mornings. It seems to have at least firmed me up.

Girl, I still don't have my Silvers! I want some but will most likely wait until I hit goal. When I tried them on at--I think 163 or whatever, I was still too fat looking TBH. I don't want to be a muffin top so I am postponing low-rise shopping. But girl, I have been shopping!!! I have this vision of myself wearing low-rise (like the Silvers), a long halter top and cute heels. I want to be there by late Spring. In my vision I have a cocktail in my hand and am on some stellar outdoor patio somewhere. LOL.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-07-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Here's a hamstring exercise:

Kneel down and have someone anchor your feet/ankles to hold them in place. Fall forward as if you are going into pushup position with your knees on the ground. Go down onto your hands (like a pushup--elbows bent, chest touching the floor) and push up a little bit for some momentum, but then engage your hamstrings to pull you back up to the starting position. The less momentum you give yourself pushing off the ground, the more your hamstrings will have to work.

ETA: I advise putting a towel under your knees or people will wonder why you have rugburns on your knees.
OMG I haven't done those in years, my hamstrings were seriously sore after that exercise... Thanks for the reminder I'll have to try those next time I do legs...
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #13  
FB

JAMIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Triple gazillion yays on you for being all Miss 150 something and hawt.

You already got great advice, I just had to clutter/hijack your thread with love. Missed you!

Last edited by FB; 01-07-2009 at 11:33 PM.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote