Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #1  
Weight Watchers!

S/C/G: 221/ticker/175

Height: 5'

Question Who else runs in a hilly area?

Hi all
I wrote last week about having a hard time with the C25k program and I think it my not be the program but the area I am running in. My area has alot of hills so sometimes when the pdcast says run I am just starting downhill and do not want to injure myself (i have a history of knee problems and while they are doing well now I know running downhill for me is a no-no).

So my question is this..
Does anyone else run in a hilly area?

Today I did the same area just ran after 5 mins and stopped when I was going downhill. I continued to run when I could. Is that enough or should I follow the C25k to the letter?
Thanks
eviemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I can't find a flat stretch of land to save my life- and I live in the city. The inclines aren't dangerously steep for running, so it's more of a challenge than anything. I noticed more of what you're describing when I was living in Nashville a couple of summer ago and it was an issue (running downhill).

If you're worried about injury, is there a high school track nearby you could use? I have one about 7 blocks from our apartment that I'll go to if I don't feel like dealing with the inclines.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #3  
Workin' It

If you went the opposite direction would it have you running at better areas geographically? Weird question I guess, and we don't want you running against traffic and putting yourself at risk or anything...

I started running without the C25k program. If you continue to increase your running v. walking you should continue to improve even if you aren't specific to the program. I can't see why tweaking it would hurt your progress, as long as you get the same amount in. Though you lose the cool voice prompts...

Good luck!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:58 PM   #4  
Weight Watchers!

Going the opposite way is what I thought at first but all the hills are uphill then right back down so it would not matter. The 1.5 mile track I take right now there are 3 hills (up and down) and 2 are close together so after those 2 I can run for awhile.

I do have a track I can go but I love running in my neighborhood because it is easy for me to do. I have 4 daughters that I homeschool and after they are done and they start cleaning up from lunch I can go run. So it works for me.

I think I will try to just increase my time and then each week increase my distance. I just want to make sure I progress because it has become something I love to do.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 AM   #5  
No description available.

The other thing you can do is adapt the Cto5K program a little. Make up your own. Ditch the podcast, but keep the spirit of it. Run for a minute when you can, recover down hill, run when you can, etc.

Once you get going, the hills are going to be AWESOME for you! But shake up your route. Running the same hills in the same order each time won't be a challenge for long.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Any training program should be a guideline, not a religious decree. Always. The first rule of any exercise regime is to learn when to adapt to your own situation.

And FWIW my husband is a skinny runner, but he never ever runs down hills to this day. Never be a slave to someone else's program (or your own)
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:23 PM   #7  

Downhill is tough on your knees--good call not to be running lots of downs.

Consider running up for most of your route and walking home at this point in your fitness life. (I think that when you're more fit and at a lighter weight, it would be worth revisiting this topic given that your listed location isn't actually mountainous.)
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 168.6/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

i do! well, whenever i get the chance to go running outside with my friend. the weather has been really bad lately so i've been stuck with basketball practice and my pilates express: the faster way to a new body dvd. when soccer starts in march i'm going to be doing a lot of running but at a track and on a turf field so it'll be flat. but i do try to run on the hills b/c it's just a better work out for me.
est1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:17 PM   #9  
Weight Watchers!

No the area is not mountainous but my neighborhood is full of hills. I did find a route today that does not have the steap hills so I am going to try that one next.

I agree about the program but I have have an issue with not pushing myself enough. I am working on that and learning that if I second guess myself then I am usually wrong. I am learning the difference between whining and being cautious. This in itself is a workout.LOL

Thanks