Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default Also running...

Like MindiV, I decided to try my feet at running today as well...

I just did my first ever outdoor run, in GA where it is sunny and 60 right now... I don't have good shoes yet, figured I would see if I liked the running before investing in the shoes, but I need them anyway, even for elliptical trainer...I first walked a mile at a pretty brisk pace and then ran an entire mile. I have never run that much at one time in my life! I didn't actually know the length of the track until after I was finished and back home, so was pretty excited that it was a mile long on the outer ring I was on. The park I was at was pretty crowded with kids out of school, so I got impatient and left, but I suspect I probably had at least another half mile in me. I'll probably only get to run once per week, so we'll see what happens next time!

Anyone know where to go in Atlanta for good running shoes? I have some Christmas money that I figure will go for those...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Whoo hoo Shannon! That rocks. I'm not up to running a full mile yet. I have been doing the 3.1 miles for the 5k, but I'm still alternating running/walking.

Shoes - I got mine at whatever big box sporting goods store down by Perimeter Mall ... the one at the corner of Abernathy behind the MARTA station.

There's supposed to be a place that specializes in helping you custom fit shoes somewhere over by Johnson's Ferry in East Cobb, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll ask my BIL next time I see him.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #3  
Workin' It

Wow... 2.5 hours after the run ended and boy can I feel it in the calves... I guess that is a good sign...
Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My recommendation is do NOT go to a big box sporting goods store for running shoes. One, they know zip zilch NADA about how to properly assess your gait and determine what type of running shoe you need. Two, they often dont even carry actual running shoes. What they carry are often cheap versions of running shoes and dont have the structure. Expect to spend ~$90-100 for decent shoes. Analysis at a running store is free. For courtesy I always buy at least one pair from the store that does my analysis. (You should be re-analyzed after childbirth, significant weight gain or loss or after a few years of consistant running) After I buy one pair I will often go online to buy more - usually you can save a little online.

http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/at15000.htm is a list of running stores in atlanta. I would say not Nike or Niketown - those are hit and miss for experts. Most NB stores CAN analyze your gait, but you are then limited to only New Balance shoes which may or may not fit you.

Phippedes looks good. Big Peach looks good. Fleet feet is usually good. Runnersfit, Spike and West side look good

Hope that helps.

Last edited by ennay; 12-30-2008 at 05:51 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

I agree with ennay, go to a reputable running store for gait analysis...

Secondly, I would not recommend running a whole mile first time out, you'll risk injury and get discouraged.... Try the Couch to 5 k program, it'll ease you into running, just Google it...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

I second everything Ennay said. I get all of my running apparel through www.roadrunnersports.com . I joined the club and get free shipping and 10% off all my orders. I actually just got a whole GoreTex wind/waterproof jacket and pants for $119.00 (it was over $200 before the sale!). Shoes are the single most important part of your running gear and without a good pair you will suffer injury most likely. Be sure to get a good gait analysis and good luck to you!
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #7  
Workin' It

Thanks everyone! I can definitely feel some soreness in my legs today, that I would like to think will be lessened once I get some good shoes...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM   #8  
Workin' It

So, there is a Foot Solutions five miles from my office. Think that one is okay?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 AM   #9  
No description available.

I wouldn't go to Foot Solutions for running shoes.

Fleet Feet perhaps (though that is hit or miss, the old owner here was awful, there are new owners here now, one is a physical therapist).

I googled running shoe stores in Atlanta and I would definitely check out http://www.phidippides.com/blog/ Jeff Galloway is the owner! That enough would get me in there. They talk about gait evaluation and have a running program. This appears to be a serious running store and that would be my first stop if I woke up in Atlanta and needed running shoes.

ETA: I looked at the Foot Solutions link off the Atlanta Track Club link provided by ennay, and I still wouldn't go there. They only list 2 brands of women's running shoes, which might not be all that bad, but they are brands I am not familiar with and there might be great limitations in choices---they may have more in the store but I'm skeptical.

I would so go to phidippides!

Last edited by midwife; 12-31-2008 at 11:42 AM.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:57 AM   #10  
Workin' It

Cool. Thanks midwife!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:21 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Yeah I wouldnt do foot solutions either...they seem geared to selling you their insoles etc.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #12  
Workin' It

I looked up Phiddipides and it looks cool as heck, but it is in Sandy Springs... High traffic, really crowded part of town that I try to avoid as much as possible, about 35 mins from where I am, depending on traffic. There is a location of Big Peach about eight miles from my office, so I may give them a shot. I looked at their carried brands and they look pretty diverse.

Here is another question for you guys (is it hijacking if I add on to my own thread? )- everything I read says "don't start too fast". Any suggestions on what is 'too fast'? Yesterday it took me 27 minutes total - walked the first mile in 15:49 minutes, ran the second mile in 11ish minutes and felt pretty good afterward. Today my legs are pretty sore, but I don't think abnormally so. I know I didn't do a good job of warm up or stretching, and as you can tell from the previous discussion I don't have good shoes yet, so I think some of the leg ick comes from that... I've been using my elliptical trainer 30-60 days six days per week. Do I need to slow down and use the C25K program?
Old 12-31-2008, 03:49 PM   #13  
No description available.

That Big Peach store looks good. Have fun!!

I know a lot of people swear by couch to 5K, but I have never really looked into it. I think if you can run a mile without stopping, you are doing well! 11 minute mile pace is quite reasonable. You will probably get faster, but I would focus on getting a mileage base in first before working on speed. Keep in mind this is just my opinion as a runner, reader of Runners World magazine, and cross country mom.

1) Get new shoes.
2) Come up with a good stretching routine.
3) Try for 1 mile every other day for a week. Then increase your mileage by about 10% a week after that. That is a general rule of thumb. Remember you are working not only your cardio endurance and muscles, but your bones and joints need a slow intro as well. So, next week you could try 1 mile 2 times and then the 3rd time try to push to 1.3 miles (give or take). I try to add a little distance to a single run in a week and then slowly bump the distance in the other 2 runs rather than breaking up my added distance equally during the week. So, say I run 4 miles 3 times a week. I want to bump one of my next runs to 5.2 (give or take), versus making each run 4.4 miles. Does that make sense?
4) Take it slow. Have fun!!

Again this is just what worked for me. I started out running the straight sides of a 0.25 mile track and walking the curves. I started out at a 13 minute mile pace. Now I am at about a 9 to 10 minute mile pace, depending on the route, day, distance, etc.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 03:52 PM   #14  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I'd just listen to your body. If you are terribly sore a couple days after running, perhaps take it a bit easier next time -- it takes time for all your joints, tendons, muscles etc. to adapt to the running motion. If by day 2 your little bit of soreness has significantly decreased, I think you're doing fine.

People beginning running programs often get injured because they run too often, too fast, and too far because that's what "real runners do". Then they get injured and quit. That's why you see so many admonitions to take it easy at first. Even if you are very cardio vascularly fit from cycling and elliptical training etc., it is good to really pay attention to your body carefully and train up slowly with running because it is totally different on your joints, etc.

You are already very physically fit from your training, so I think if you just listen carefully to your body and increase your mileage slowly (don't even worry about pace yet) you'll do great!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 12-31-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 04:15 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Thanks Midwife & Tyler! I'm definitely going on Friday to get shoes. I can get $5 off if I donate my old shoes at The Big Peach, though I don't know who would want them...

Midwife, I have to tell you that I've now read your 'location' tag three times and have looked over my shoulder every time...

ETA: I found this stretching routine through one of the C25K links, does it look good? Too much, not enough?
http://www.coolrunning.com/cgi-bin/m...6;s=2_1;site=1

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 12-31-2008 at 04:16 PM.