Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #1  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

Exclamation Bally Gym

Wednesday was the first day of my free 2 week Bally Fitness pass, the first day was alright, I noticed a few things I did not like about Bally.

1. There was no variety with the people there, everyone was pretty small.

2. The ellipticals are right under the tv's- so you have to strain your neck to watch while on that machine.

3. There was a bunch of tv's with all the channels the same 3 channels, 2 news, 1 sports.

4. They are all SALES people, they just want to make a sale, and pretend to actually want to help. Both days they kept me in they office for an hour talking about 'deals' to get me signed up now.

5. The classes are in a glass room where everyone watches you (like a fish bowl)

Now yesterday I had a free personal trainer appointment, did he ever ask what I want? What I like? What I want to achieve at the gym?
Nope.

He only wanted to do his regular routine, which was too hard for me, we bickered at each other the entire time. I let him know my goal is to look forward to going to the gym, and to start slow. I had to make him show me machines because he only wanted to do free weights, lunges, squats etc.

Now because of this trainer I'm not going back to finish my 2 week pass, and I will never pay to be a member of Bally Gym. :-)

(Another little addition, is while I was there a lady came in to complain that she quit the gym 2 months ago and is still getting charged-funny since I read bad reviews online about this happening)
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I have a membership to Ballys but I haven't been there in 2 years. I only keep it because its cheap and because I was thinking of starting spinning.

Some Ballys are great, some are not so great. You will get the girls that go there in tight nonworkout clothes wearing full makeup that will sit on a bike and half heartedly ride it while talking to their friend on the phone. You will get the guys that spend 2-3 hours there and grunt like crazy. Then you will get the average person who just wants to workout on a regular basis. Its a mix. I credit Ballys in CA and CO for helping me learn about fitness, weight loss, muscle building and helping me start down the path I'm on. Unfortunately the closest gym to me here in MD just sucks so I don't go. I also decided to build a home gym.

I'd explore other gyms in your area if you are looking to join a gym. Ballys can be a good gym but I wouldn't say that its the absolute best in every case.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #3  

Quote:
Now because of this trainer I'm not going back to finish my 2 week pass
That'll show him!

Last edited by MariaMaria; 02-13-2009 at 11:10 AM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

I just renewed my Ballys membership. I wasn't going there for the same reasons you mentioned. I didn't want to be in a fashion show, I needed a gym with real people working out.

I decided to take a TOUR of the Ballys first. I called them, set up a tour. I told them first thing, I have a membership, so dont' sell me. I'm just trying to figure out if this gym is the right fit.

The guy was very nice, showed me around. I saw REAL people working out! I called and got a free personal training session also. I interviewed the trainer, and I told her what I wanted, what I expected and how I expect her to help me! Guess what? It worked!

I have been at the gym everyday, and I signed up for 12 personal training sessions.

The bottom line, I guess, is if this Ballys isn't the right fit, see if there is another in your area. Check them ALL out before you make a judgement. Some of them are just full of people that want to sell, others really do have trainers that care and want you to succeed!

Best of luck!
lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 AM   #5  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

I have a Bally's membership. The locations I go to are okay. There are "real" people in there working out, and the facilities get the job done - but I've seen better.

My membership expires on the 25th - if they can't give me a good deal to renew, then I'm going to LA Fitness.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote