3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Exercise! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise-34/)
-   -   A giant step (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exercise/159400-giant-step.html)

thinpossible 12-27-2008 07:50 AM

A giant step

Today, I exercised.
I know that's not a big deal to anyone but me, but to me it's a giant step.

I walked, and I could feel my legs really working, and my heart beat ramp up a bit. I walked for 32 minutes. Slowly, I only made it a little over a mile.

I hate exercise. I'd rather have a root canal, and I'm not exaggerating at all. But at 21 minutes a thought flitted through my head, "Hey, this isn't THAT bad."

I'm committed to walk six or seven days a week. I'm committed to do it first thing in the morning, because if I don't do it then, it won't get done. Tomorrow morning, I'm going to get on the treadmill and do it again.
I know that's not a big deal to anyone but me, but to me it's a giant step. :carrot:

figureskater546 12-27-2008 07:53 AM

it is a big deal, and you rock for getting out there and doing what you have to do, even though you hate it. and you know the great thing about exercise? the more you do it, the easier it gets, the more likely you are to do it. So keep it up!!!:carrot:

Mrs Snark 12-27-2008 02:33 PM

GREAT JOB!

It *IS* a BIG deal! You should celebrate every victory and be proud of yourself to committing to the walk and then DOING it!

CONGRATULATIONS and keep up the great work!

PhotoChick 12-27-2008 02:36 PM

It is a big deal and that's awesome.

One thing you said that I want to underline: You said you like exercising about as much as you like a root canal. :) My mantra about exercising and eating right is this: there are things we all do that we don't WANT to, but we have to because we're responsible adults. We don't have to like it. We just have to DO it. And maybe that will help you. YOu don't have to love exercising. You don't have to become a gym bunny. But just like you go to the dentist and get your teeth cleaned, you need to exercise. So do it and get it done and consider it a part of life.

That's what helps me on those days that I really don't want to go to the gym.

And who knows ... one of these days you may find yourself looking forward to your gym time as your body becomes more in tune and in shape.

kittycat40 12-27-2008 02:54 PM

I decided that I wanted to be a runner. Funny thing, tho. I hated running. But it made the most sense as a chosen exercise. It was very effective in burning calories and toning the body. All that was really necessary was a pair of running shoes. No gym membership, equipment, y'know?

So I started running and kept at it and finally it became something that I now love to do. (well, most of the time;))

in short, love, hate it, it will grow on you. keep it up :)

ETA-- just one more thing-- CONGRATs!! :) It is a giant step!! :) Be proud! :)

JenJam 12-27-2008 02:58 PM

Hey it IS a big deal. Well done and good for you for getting it done in the mornings, then it's out the way. And you may just grow to enjoy it .. I did, as I noticed how much more flexible I was becoming. Once upon a time my only goal in going to an exercise class was to turn up in the first place! Now I don't exactly rush with glee to the gym, but once I'm there I have a good time and always pay attention to how I feel after, helps keep me motivated.

Ilene 12-27-2008 03:18 PM

Is certainly IS a big deal and :bravo: to you for just DOING IT !!

It's like brushing our teeth we don't love to brush them but we do because be know what the outcome will be ...

Lydia227 12-27-2008 04:15 PM

Thinpossible, my very first workout four years ago was a 20 minute walk on the treadmill just like you. It all begins with the decision first and then a plan to act followed by the movement itself. Great job in getting started today and may you begin to experience all the joys that result in continuing your journey.

At this point in my own journey I often reflect back to where I began. Even though I am continuing to learn and grow in other disciplines of fitness I often recall exactly where I began. This year I discovered this musician and this song which sums up the experience from the first year for me. Every morning when I play this on my iPod I'm gratefully reminded of that first step I took just like you are doing today. :hug: Oh and there are versions of it on iTunes that rock on the iPod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqH_O...eature=related

Corny as it is the person I'm "walking" toward in this song in my head is the visualization that I have of the person I want to be in a year, five years, ten years... you get the idea. ;)

Congratulations :D

Thighs Be Gone 12-27-2008 04:25 PM

Hey thinpossible, it is a big deal to me too!

Good for you. You made the decision to do what was right, not what was easy for you at the time. You made the decision to make yourself proud. You made the decision to choose good health over poor health. You made the decision to enpower yourself by taking that first step.

You are right, it isn't that bad! In fact, I am now with the thought that I actually LIKE exercising. Me--who 6 months ago--could barely walk my kids to the park.

YOU ARE DOING IT NOW---only goodness ahead! GO! GO! GO!

Lori259 12-27-2008 04:29 PM

TOTALLY GREAT!~I Started walking 40 minutes a day just about 9 to 10 days ago and brought is up to 90 minutes..And I am like you on that part I hate exercise But totally different on anything to do with the dentist~I Am scared of them badly LOL.Anyways Everything we do helps so much.Congradulations....Oh the more days you do the easier it gets .

midwife 12-27-2008 04:41 PM

Fantastic! It is a huge deal!! Most people *want* to be healthy and in better shape. But most people don't do it. The difference between you and all the wannabes is the fact that YOU are DOING it!!! That is truly terrific! Congrats! I'm very proud of you!

We're going to be starting a thread soon for 1000 miles in 2009. Now, you don't need to try to go 1000 miles to join, but if you would like to track your mileage in a fun supportive thread, we'd love to have you! Think about where you'll be a year from now, looking back at the miles you've done.

A journey of 1000 miles begins with a single step. A choice for a healthier life begins with *doing* something.

Be very very pleased with your efforts. I am!!

thinpossible 12-27-2008 06:10 PM

Thank you so much everyone. Wow, you all are so supportive, I didn't even think anyone would respond, lol.

You've given me A LOT of motivation to do it again tomorrow. Motivation isn't necessary to my commitment, but it sure is a nice perk ;) So thanks!